• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 shim

shim

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 3,888 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 02:52 PM

You've fasted 40 days? Was it an ibbur Ramadan?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That would be more like 60 days.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe there was a machlokes imamim so he split the difference.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That would make 45 days.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, but you have to subtract Fridays and then round it, in this case to 40.

#22 Jennifer

Jennifer

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,384 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 02:52 PM

You've fasted 40 days? Was it an ibbur Ramadan?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That would be more like 60 days.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe there was a machlokes imamim so he split the difference.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That would make 45 days.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, but you have to subtract Fridays and then round it, in this case to 40.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Round it? Are you suggesting we add to the Torah or something?

#23 doodlehead

doodlehead

cute little fluttery butterfly

• Members
  • 15,147 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 02:54 PM

wait a second, I'm not muslim, and neither was moshe rabeinu- he also fasted for 40 days.
"Eat. Spit. Be Happy." -Davids
"Who is wise? he who can learn from every man. can be applied here, getting 'inspiration' from a one eyed whacko."
- soapmaker
" He who stands on toilet is high on pot" -Confucius
" When life gives you lemons make lemonade..... but if life gives you a handful of [email protected], dont try making anything out of it, trust me on that one. -Dahlai Lama
" I love Jews." -Somebody must have said it, somewhere
"A good friend will come and bail you out of jail................. but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "[email protected] that was fun".
Traveling the world in search of the truth.
Make aliyah, or aliyah will make you.
Author of the 1,234,567th post on Hashkafah.com!!

#24 shim

shim

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 3,888 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 02:56 PM

wait a second, I'm not muslim, and neither was moshe rabeinu- he also fasted for 40 days.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That was because he was without bodily function and domeh le-malach when he was being mekabel the Torah. What does that have to do with this?

#25 doodlehead

doodlehead

• Members
  • 15,147 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 02:57 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That was because he was without bodily function and domeh le-malach when he was being mekabel the Torah. What does that have to do with this?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm just saying 40 days of fast is a jewish concept- not muslim.
"Who is wise? he who can learn from every man. can be applied here, getting 'inspiration' from a one eyed whacko."
- soapmaker
" When life gives you lemons make lemonade..... but if life gives you a handful of [email protected], dont try making anything out of it, trust me on that one. -Dahlai Lama
"A good friend will come and bail you out of jail................. but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "[email protected] that was fun".

#26 shim

shim

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 3,888 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 03:00 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was kidding.

Anyway, the 40 day fast for a sefer Torah falling is not brought down lehalakha. If a sefer Torah falls, usually the minhag is to fast the day or give some money to tzedaka. A rav will pasken in a given situation.

#27 doodlehead

doodlehead

• Members
  • 15,147 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 03:02 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was kidding.

Anyway, the 40 day fast for a sefer Torah falling is not brought down lehalakha. If a sefer Torah falls, usually the minhag is to fast the day or give some money to tzedaka. A rav will pasken in a given situation.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

why are there situations that differ?
- soapmaker

#28 shim

shim

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 3,888 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 03:05 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was kidding.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Because sometimes the minyan might be a bunch of 87 year old guys who it may not be the best thing for them to have to fast. That's just one example off the top of my head. Different situations might call for different responses.

#29 doodlehead

doodlehead

• Members
  • 15,147 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 03:10 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was kidding.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Because sometimes the minyan might be a bunch of 87 year old guys who it may not be the best thing for them to have to fast. That's just one example off the top of my head. Different situations might call for different responses.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And the halacha limayseh is only one day? I wonder why I thought it was more.
- soapmaker

#30 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 03:12 PM

Another addition to my Jewish Myths site?

Pinchas is right - micha

For the record, IRL he is a really nice guy! - HappyDuck, Z"L

#31 shim

shim

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 3,888 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 03:14 PM

Everyone has heard of the 40 days. It just isn't halakha. It may be a middas chassidus or mentioned in kabbalah somewhere, or it may be an urban legend. I really don't know where that comes from. Eliyahu ha-navi fasted for 40 days. I think there may be a Gemara about R. Zeira fasting 40 days for some reason. Another famous Jewish person, lehavdil, fasted for 40 days. Moshe, as you pointed out, fasted for 40 days. So the unit of a 40 day fast obviously exists.

#32 doodlehead

doodlehead

• Members
  • 15,147 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 03:14 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I guess so. Do you think I should kill my rebbi?( for telling me wrong halacha)
- soapmaker

#33 Kalashnikover_Rebbe

Kalashnikover_Rebbe

fine, nice looking, batampte Ben Torah

• Members
  • 26,049 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 08:18 PM

I was always under the impression that if the tefillin themselves fall on the floor you fast for a day.

If they fall in the bag, you give money to tzedaka.
[/flirting]

#34 yiddishe nachas

yiddishe nachas

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 08:38 PM

Everyone has heard of the 40 days. It just isn't halakha. It may be a middas chassidus or mentioned in kabbalah somewhere, or it may be an urban legend. I really don't know where that comes from. Eliyahu ha-navi fasted for 40 days. I think there may be a Gemara about R. Zeira fasting 40 days for some reason. Another famous Jewish person, lehavdil, fasted for 40 days. Moshe, as you pointed out, fasted for 40 days. So the unit of a 40 day fast obviously exists.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

shim, you seem quite sure of yourself here. however, i always remember being taught that fasting 40 days is required if someone drops a sefer torah. do you have any sources you can bring either way??

#35 Guest_melech_*

Guest_melech_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2005 - 08:40 PM

#36 Guest_melech_*

Guest_melech_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2005 - 08:42 PM

#37 simpleTorah

simpleTorah

Gabbai

• Members
  • 886 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 08:55 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

According to the Hida (in Hagahos shiyurei berakhah on Sh"A YD ch.282), - one need not fast at all if a Torah was dropped.

Also see Rav Ovadia Yosef's position in Yehavve Daas 4:56

#38 enigma

enigma

רבנית

• Members
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 08:58 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Somehow, I don't think that course of action is highly recommended... <_<
אין הדבר תלוי אלא בי

"Have you seen H&M this season? It looks like the 70's threw up on the 80's." ~holy

#39 simpleTorah

simpleTorah

Gabbai

• Members
  • 886 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 08:59 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

shim, you seem quite sure of yourself here. however, i always remember being taught that fasting 40 days is required if someone drops a sefer torah. do you have any sources you can bring either way??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Iggeroth Moshe Orach Chaim 3:3

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I guess we were posting simultaneously; I didn't simply ignore your post.

#40 doodlehead

doodlehead

• Members
  • 15,147 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 12:18 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Somehow, I don't think that course of action is highly recommended... <_<

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

the gemara mentions it.
- soapmaker

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users