Contact Chai Lifeline.
דעלך סני לחברך לא תעביד

#3 comeon

comeon

Shtark

• Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 10:33 PM

Zichron Menachem in Bayit Vigan, Jerusalem. I went there right before I left Israel and they were really appreciative. There is an American Branch that you can probally send hair to. It says it needs to be 12.5 inches but I gave 11 and it was totally fine.

from their internet site:
When a child starts balding...

One of the most serious emotional hardships that children with cancer have to deal with comes when their hair falls out as a result of chemotherapy. At this point, the children begin to look very different from what they were used to and some respond very badly. In some cases, it is the “straw that breaks the camel’s back.” The children are ashamed to spend time with their friends. “The looks and whispers behind our backs are the worst of all,” say the children candidly.

To minimize the difficulties, Zichron Menachem arranges a temporary replacement for the children and a staff of trained professionals comes to fit a wig for each boy or girl that wants one.

We gratefully accept long hair donations that meet the following criteria:

• Hair should be braided, and tied with a rubber band at both ends before cutting.

• Hair needs to be a minimum of 30cm or 12.5 inches when braided.

Please mail braids to:

Zichron Menachem
P.O.Box 16383
Jerusalem, 91163, Israel
Tel. +972-2-643-3001

N.B. Free haircuts (in New York area) for everyone donating their hair to Zichron Menachem at:

TRENDZ SALON
43 South Washington Avenue
Bergenfield, NJ 07621, USA
Tel: 201 385-6678

#4 hashfanatic

hashfanatic

Godol Hador

• Banned
  • 5,704 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 10:41 PM

Bergenfield in DA HOUSE!

One of my nieces emerged victorious from cancer when she was 19. During the battle, she went through the whole hair loss thing. It's truly horrible, like everything else about the attack and the defensive measures taken to fight it.

She's fine, but she's gone a little crazy, but that's another show. :)

#5 Ahavah

Ahavah

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,775 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 09:41 AM

Bergenfield in DA HOUSE!

One of my nieces emerged victorious from cancer when she was 19.  During the battle, she went through the whole hair loss thing.  It's truly horrible, like everything else about the attack and the defensive measures taken to fight it.

She's fine, but she's gone a little crazy, but that's another show. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is this the same niece that "went Republican"? :D

I'm glad to hear she's doing alright, B"H!
G-d, grant me the serenity to accept the things I can not change,
The courage to change the things I can,
and the wisdom to know the difference.

Ahavah: "What do you want to be when you grow up?"
Ahavah's 3-year-old Princess (Niece): "I wanna be an ice cream flavor!"

Ahavah's Stance on Shidduchim: "No, I'm only dating Deaf guys now. Because I can't see them sign and they can't hear me speak, so we'll have no communication problems!"From this post

want a pony?

#6 bigtoe

bigtoe

ùbúntú

• Members
  • 2,562 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 09:42 AM

Contact Chai Lifeline.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Chai Lifeline unfortunately does not do it at the moment. Shame as they're the people one would think of turning to first. Zichron Menachem is your best bet (I know someone who's a rep, and can answer all questions on the matter, and/or can send the donated hair for you. pm me for details).
Forget science, I'm donating my body to magic

-Erin Brown/Threadless

#7 Pure Myrrh

Pure Myrrh

Newbie Emeritus

• Members
  • 6,401 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 10:27 AM

I just cut off a foot of hair and would like to donate it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Left foot or right foot?
Do you love the IRS? If so please do NOT support the FairTax proposal!

#8 shaya_getzl

shaya_getzl

Duogenarian ventriloquist

• Members
  • 7,858 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 03:08 PM

I just cut off a foot of hair and would like to donate it.  In the past, I've donated hair to Locks of Love but I've heard that there is a similar, frum organization.  Does anyone know anything about it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do they take chest hair ?
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."
"I am, like, kinda retarded. In a good sense of the word" ~ Brianna

#9 Bluelaptop

Bluelaptop

Blackliner

• Members
  • 4,145 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 03:10 PM

Sleeping Beauty came at 4
Her eyes were filled with tears.
"Oh my," she said, "I overslept
About a hundred years."

(Mr. Cuckoo's Clock Shop)

#10 doodlehead

doodlehead

cute little fluttery butterfly

• Members
  • 15,147 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 03:12 PM

I just cut off a foot of hair and would like to donate it.  In the past, I've donated hair to Locks of Love but I've heard that there is a similar, frum organization.  Does anyone know anything about it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

what would they do with it?
"Eat. Spit. Be Happy." -Davids
"Who is wise? he who can learn from every man. can be applied here, getting 'inspiration' from a one eyed whacko."
- soapmaker
" He who stands on toilet is high on pot" -Confucius
" When life gives you lemons make lemonade..... but if life gives you a handful of [email protected], dont try making anything out of it, trust me on that one. -Dahlai Lama
" I love Jews." -Somebody must have said it, somewhere
"A good friend will come and bail you out of jail................. but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "[email protected] that was fun".
Traveling the world in search of the truth.
Make aliyah, or aliyah will make you.
Author of the 1,234,567th post on Hashkafah.com!!

#11 Daniel

Daniel

Gabbai

• Members
  • 785 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 08:25 AM

Zichron Menachem is a great organization -- a few weeks ago, their summer camp was in The Netherlands, a large group of Israeli youths and children (aged about 8 to 18 years old or so) with cancer, for almost a week. The week ended with a concert by Avraham Fried -- with participation of the children -- with some 1000 people present, I was there also; it was great. :)

They deserve all help they can get; I'm very impressed by that organization. Also see their website at http://www.zichronmenachem.org .

About wigs, I can also give some personal experience. I have a pretty annoying (but not serious) hair disease which caused my hair to fall out about 9 years ago; now, I have half of it back, but the other half is still bald (and might remain that for the rest of my life). I had a wig for half a year or so, but I stopped wearing it, because it is really, really annoying. It just didn't feel right. And it didn't look right. And it was such a lot of work. And I had a synthetic wig... Which I do recommend over a natural wig, which requires even more (far more) maintenance. Especially for youths, natural hair wigs are absolutely not recommended.

#12 bigtoe

bigtoe

ùbúntú

• Members
  • 2,562 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 09:44 AM

alopecia?

-Erin Brown/Threadless

#13 Daniel

Daniel

Gabbai

• Members
  • 785 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 09:50 AM

alopecia?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes. If anyone else has it too, contact me -- always interesting.

#14 doodlehead

doodlehead

cute little fluttery butterfly

• Members
  • 15,147 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 09:50 AM

alopecia?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Half grew back.
"Eat. Spit. Be Happy." -Davids
"Who is wise? he who can learn from every man. can be applied here, getting 'inspiration' from a one eyed whacko."
- soapmaker
" He who stands on toilet is high on pot" -Confucius
" When life gives you lemons make lemonade..... but if life gives you a handful of [email protected], dont try making anything out of it, trust me on that one. -Dahlai Lama
" I love Jews." -Somebody must have said it, somewhere
"A good friend will come and bail you out of jail................. but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "[email protected] that was fun".
Traveling the world in search of the truth.
Make aliyah, or aliyah will make you.
Author of the 1,234,567th post on Hashkafah.com!!

#15 Itche fun Moskve

Itche fun Moskve

Creedmoor Chronicler

• Banned
  • 632 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 09:52 AM

del

#16 Daniel

Daniel

Gabbai

• Members
  • 785 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 10:28 AM

alopecia?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Half grew back.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, that's normal. There are two forms, basically: alopecia areata, in which the hair on the head falls out in round spots and possibly it falls out completely from the head for some time as well.

The other form is alopecia totalis, in which a person loses all of his hair, all over the body.

I have something in between -- I lost all hair on my head (including eyebrows) for a few years, now I have about half of it back, but not everything. It's a really weird disease. But it's not transmissable (infectious) and it's not dangerous, so aside from the psychological aspect it's not really a serious disease. Though it's far worse for girls than for men.

#17 bigtoe

bigtoe

ùbúntú

• Members
  • 2,562 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 10:47 AM

[Yes. If anyone else has it too, contact me -- always interesting.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

my friend has it, I had no idea she was even wearing a wig at first..

-Erin Brown/Threadless

#18 Ahavati

Ahavati

meh

• Members
  • 7,399 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 01:46 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL! Dredlocks...

I had mine cut about four years ago for twin leukemia patients (a very rare occurrence) because they wanted them to match. I heard they couldn't find anyone who had hair long enough to make two wigs to match, so I donated mine (which was down to the back of my thighs).

It's back down there (actually way longer) so I'm considering it again. I went through locks of love the first time. I would definitely consider something frum now.
If not for my attempts to be a "good Christian" (i.e. someone who follows what Jesus taught and not what the Pauline Epistles taught), I doubt I'd be an orthodox Jew right now. Shemmy

#19 bigtoe

bigtoe

ùbúntú

• Members
  • 2,562 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 03:35 PM

my
hair
won't
grow
fast
enough