• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 02:05 AM

here are the seminaries that i am looking for info on:
1. michlalah
2. ma'ohr
3. seminar
4. chochmas leiv
if anybody either went to any of these or just knows anything about them i would appreciate a response and i'll give specifics about wat i want to know then ................ thanx in advance

#2 itsallgood

itsallgood

Hocker

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 02:37 AM

Never heared of the last two, but I know a bit about michlala and maohr. In general Michlala is less beis yakovy than ma'ohr, even though it has chareidi hashkafas, it's also more academic. I heared great things about both. You can ask more specific questions and I'll try to answer.

#3 FYI

FYI

Naive or Clueless?

• Members
  • 16,184 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 11:00 AM

1. michlalah
2. ma'ohr
3. seminar
4. chochmas leiv
if anybody either went to any of these or just knows anything about them i would appreciate a response and i'll give specifics about wat i want to know then ................ thanx in advance

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I will see how I can help. But, it seems like you are crossing a broad spectrum here.
Michlalah is considered very intellectual, a lot of studying/courses, etc. It is considered more modern - they allow you to wear jean skirts, visit ben yehudah at night, and basically no major rules that are standard by rules.
2) ma'or is considered a by seminary - it is not considered as intellectual, but definitely a lot of learning/growing goes on there. Most girls I see that come out of there come out EXTREMELY happy and feel they have grown tremendously. The only negative I sometimes here about it is that it's a little too "mushy" for some people..supposedly, very heimish..
3) seminar - i know people who loved it and others who hated it. This is considered one of the more frum BYS (after bjj and hadar probably). Quite a few people told me they are a little too much of a "wanna be" seminary and are always try to imitate the frummer bys so they can say they are frummer. However, basically everyone says they made some great and wonderful friends there but didn't really get to make a kesher with any of the teachers or get 1-on-1 with them and didn't really gain much out of the classes, but did walk away with a great chevra.
4) chochmas leiv - never heard of it..does it go under a diff. name??? can you tell me the name of the person who runs it?? I may know of it and just refer to it as something else?
hope this info helps...
Many people wish they could change their life, when all they really need to do is change their attitude towards life. - Sharon

#4 FYI

FYI

Naive or Clueless?

• Members
  • 16,184 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 11:02 AM

One more thing. If you are planning to get college credit through the seminary. I believe YU/Stern only recognizes Michlalah and for the others you would need to go through Touro.
Many people wish they could change their life, when all they really need to do is change their attitude towards life. - Sharon

#5 notreallyhere

notreallyhere

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,420 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 11:07 AM

4) chochmas leiv - never heard of it..does it go under a diff. name??? can you tell me the name of the person who runs it?? I may know of it and just refer to it as something else?
hope this info helps...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's new and its name is Chochmas Lev. It's run by Rabbi Hadar Margolin, formerly of Darchei Bina.

#6 FYI

FYI

Naive or Clueless?

• Members
  • 16,184 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 11:09 AM

hope this info helps...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's new and its name is Chochmas Lev. It's run by Rabbi Hadar Margolin, formerly of Darchei Bina.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is it currently open this year or is it opening for the coming year?

#7 notreallyhere

notreallyhere

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,420 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 11:15 AM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is currently open this year, its first year.

#8 Rikal

Rikal

Halavai Benoni

• Members
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 11:20 AM

1. michlalah
2. ma'ohr
3. seminar
4. chochmas leiv

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I only know Michlala. It is an accredited college by the Israeli Ed. Ministry. The students can be from dl/MO to super charedi. The limudei chol are taught from a mostly charedi viewpoint. You can get degrees in education, sciences, and several other fields that frum schools just now are starting to get into. They have been doing it for years. You can also get a MA there.

#9 comeon

comeon

Shtark

• Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 01:28 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I haven't got the hock about how its going yet this year, but the good news about it is that it won't fold, Rabbi Kurland's schools are well established and have good teachers. Rabbi Margolin was very excited about it because he says its everything Darchei Binah girls have plus better but I think the whole idea is weird: Many of the Darchei Binah teachers specificly like teaching there because its strong frum school but not Bais Yaakov (I mean I think its a little Bais Yaacovy but whatever) so they could say what they wanted and the girls not only think, but ask good questions.

#10 littlegenius

littlegenius

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 10:13 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I haven't got the hock about how its going yet this year, but the good news about it is that it won't fold, Rabbi Kurland's schools are well established and have good teachers. Rabbi Margolin was very excited about it because he says its everything Darchei Binah girls have plus better but I think the whole idea is weird: Many of the Darchei Binah teachers specificly like teaching there because its strong frum school but not Bais Yaakov (I mean I think its a little Bais Yaacovy but whatever) so they could say what they wanted and the girls not only think, but ask good questions.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

what i heard about chochmas leiv is that it's for the girls that went to bais yaakov all their lives and are therefore used to a bais yaakov crowd, but, they have minds of their own and do not want to go to another bais yaakov but want to go to a place that allows them to think and be their own person. true?

#11 chiloni

chiloni

Gabbai

• Members
  • 636 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 06:49 AM

Im not convinced that Michlala is necessarily that academic, plenty of girls seem to go there and get away withuot doing that much. I think it has the potential to be so though-they have great teachers such as rabbi Yehoshua Hartman.
"You can fool some of the people all of the time, and those are the ones you need to concentrate on."
"I couldn't imagine somebody like Osama bin Laden understanding the joy of Hanukkah."
- George W. Bush

#12 politico

politico

• Banned
  • 11,413 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 08:07 AM

what i heard about chochmas leiv is that it's for the girls that went to bais yaakov all their lives and are therefore used to a bais yaakov crowd, but, they have minds of their own and do not want to go to another bais yaakov but want to go to a place that allows them to think and be their own person.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:blink: a seminary finds its niche...
zinh.

#13 comeon

comeon

Shtark

• Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 10:26 AM

Michlala is all around an awesome awesome school, they also have great teachers (as mentioned above, the girls love Rabbi Hartman), the campus is nice, the food is good but it isn't "Bais Yaakov type" so if you think anyone who doesn't wear socks is a shiksa, it ain't the place for you!

#14 Pure Myrrh

Pure Myrrh

Newbie Emeritus

• Members
  • 6,401 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 10:40 AM

(as mentioned above, the girls love Rabbi Hartman)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Love? :blink:
Do you love the IRS? If so please do NOT support the FairTax proposal!

#15 me_guy

me_guy

Gabbai

• Banned
  • 603 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 10:43 AM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't make fun of my once again little sister!

#16 notreallyhere

notreallyhere

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,420 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 10:43 AM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Welcome to seminary girl land. :)

#17 comeon

comeon

Shtark

• Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 10:52 AM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Welcome to seminary girl land. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ok "respect" but exactly right, once your in camp israel its more like "obsess and gush about"

#18 Reva

Reva

Newbie Slayer

• Members
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 03:44 PM

1. michlalah

u have to take an entrance exam to get into michlalah and they also ask for you SAT scores...

#19 Reva

Reva

Newbie Slayer

• Members
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 03:45 PM

also applications are due pretty early, like mid-nov. or s/t, so make sure to get one soon if you want to apply...

#20 shaya_getzl

shaya_getzl

Duogenarian ventriloquist

• Members
  • 7,858 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 04:16 PM

How can I get into one ?
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."
"I am, like, kinda retarded. In a good sense of the word" ~ Brianna

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users