• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Reebetzin

Reebetzin

Hocker

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 09:06 AM

If you know the name of a person who isn't very well and you don't say tehilim for that person and G-d forbid that person is Niftar does that mean that you killed them?
As spiritual beings, we are responsible for actualizing the potential holiness that God imbues in each moment.

With friends, form a quese leading to nothing, act like your'e all excited, see how many people who walk by join the queue !

http://www.freewebs.com/inspir-ation/

#2 Psychodad

Psychodad

• Members
  • 7,376 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 09:15 AM

#3 Very Lucky Guy

Very Lucky Guy

Dogs are still (much) cuter than babies!

• Members
  • 6,613 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 09:19 AM

If you know the name of a person who isn't very well and you don't say tehilim for that person and G-d forbid that person is Niftar does that mean that you killed them?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No. If it was so-and-so's time then that's it. But if you would like, why not say something for the neshama now.

There was an interesting short editorial in one of the Jewish papers (Jewish Press maybe) a couple weeks ago about the proliferation of tehillim requests through email and in general. It noted the guilt people feel if they don't say tehillim but also that sometimes it's a little much. In my opinion, there should be a line. If there is someone gravely ill and we know them personally, I'll give their name for a mishebayrach in shul. At one point I was bringing a list into shul and it got to the point where it was overdone. If everyone did that we'd be in shul forever. Same thing with tehillim.
Nothing, I have nothing to say.

#4 BroadwayFreak

BroadwayFreak

It's garden season!

• Members
  • 2,515 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 09:24 AM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's quite presumptuous to think that you killed the person. You think that with tons of people praying for the person, that G-d decided to kill them just b/c YOU weren't praying for them? Praying helps, but if it's that's person's time to die, that's it.
"Evereything in moderation (except beer)."
-Cholentpot

#5 Psychodad

Psychodad

• Members
  • 7,376 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 09:28 AM

#6 Reebetzin

Reebetzin

Hocker

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 09:29 AM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's quite presumptuous to think that you killed the person. You think that with tons of people praying for the person, that G-d decided to kill them just b/c YOU weren't praying for them? Praying helps, but if it's that's person's time to die, that's it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

the reason i put this question on was b/c my friend who is a genius but a rebel always asks me questions to try and catch me out and this question i didnt know how to answer.
As spiritual beings, we are responsible for actualizing the potential holiness that God imbues in each moment.

With friends, form a quese leading to nothing, act like your'e all excited, see how many people who walk by join the queue !

#7 Reebetzin

Reebetzin

Hocker

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 09:32 AM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But then you can go back and ask the question, Why do we pray for them anyway if we don't have an impact bc it if it's your time, then it's your time?
And what if the sick person doesn't know so many people and you might be the only one praying for them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

whatever is meant to be will be however we do have an impact with teffilah, for example when Soroh Avenu was born it was her destiny not to have children but when she davened with alot of Kavanah, she was able to have a son, she changed fate, she had an impact, that means we can too !!!!

#8 Psychodad

Psychodad

• Members
  • 7,376 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 09:34 AM

#9 Guest_melech_*

Guest_melech_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2005 - 09:44 AM

#10 Very Lucky Guy

Very Lucky Guy

Dogs are still (much) cuter than babies!

• Members
  • 6,613 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 09:45 AM

We can't live normal (not neurotic) lives if we spend all our time worrying that we could do one more thing.
Nothing, I have nothing to say.

#11 skifree

skifree

smoothie queen

• Members
  • 3,440 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 09:46 AM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Anyone that thinks that is feeling unecessary guilt it is not an issue of feeling like one is so great.
I am sigless and smoothieless thanks to the mods

#12 grend123

grend123

Chair of Indefinite Studies, U.U.

• Members
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 09:51 AM

...Soroh Avenu...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Jake, is that you?
Klal Yisrael is lucky that I wasn't a Rishon.

Do not feed your grend. It will only encourage it.

Al chet that a polish nobleman from the 18th century would not feel comfortable in my closet.

#13 Pure Myrrh

Pure Myrrh

Newbie Emeritus

• Members
  • 6,401 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 09:54 AM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you know a person who isn't very well and you don't go to medical school and become a doctor and treat that person and they are Niftar does that mean that you killed them?
Do you love the IRS? If so please do NOT support the FairTax proposal!

#14 skifree

skifree

smoothie queen

• Members
  • 3,440 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 09:57 AM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you know a person who isn't very well and you don't go to <a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.qklinkser...al school&st=1" onmouseover="window.status='Search for: medical school'; self.ql_skeyphrase='medical%20school'; if(window.event) self.ql_sevent=window.event.srcElement; self.ql_timeout = setTimeout('ql_doMouseOver(1)', 1000); self.ql_isOverLink=true; return true;" onclick="if(self.ql_timeout) clearTimeout(self.ql_timeout); self.ql_isOverTip = false; ql_close. <!-- .(); self.ql_skeyphrase='medical%20school'; window.status='Search for: medical school';return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; if(self.ql_timeout) clearTimeout(self.ql_timeout); self.ql_isOverTip = false; setTimeout('ql_close. <!-- .()', 1500); ">medical school</a> and become a doctor and treat that person and they are Niftar does that mean that you killed them?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Stretching it. those ppl who feel this way must always have complexes about any issues.

#15 Guest_melech_*

Guest_melech_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2005 - 10:02 AM

#16 skifree

skifree

smoothie queen

• Members
  • 3,440 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 10:04 AM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you know a person who isn't very well and you don't go to <a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.qklinkser...al school&st=1" onmouseover="window.status='Search for: medical school'; self.ql_skeyphrase='medical%20school'; if(window.event) self.ql_sevent=window.event.srcElement; self.ql_timeout = setTimeout('ql_doMouseOver(1)', 1000); self.ql_isOverLink=true; return true;" onclick="if(self.ql_timeout) clearTimeout(self.ql_timeout); self.ql_isOverTip = false; ql_close. <!-- .(); self.ql_skeyphrase='medical%20school'; window.status='Search for: medical school';return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; if(self.ql_timeout) clearTimeout(self.ql_timeout); self.ql_isOverTip = false; setTimeout('ql_close. <!-- .()', 1500); ">medical school</a> and become a doctor and treat that person and they are Niftar does that mean that you killed them?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OK, but what if you're a doctor and the person is sitting in front of you, and you don't treat her. Would that be analogous to a person with a closed sefer tehillim with a sick person sitting in front of him?
On the other hand, if you're a human doctor with only 24 hours in the day and somebody in the waiting room drops dead, did the doctor kill her?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No. The doctor is more culpable.

#17 Guest_melech_*

Guest_melech_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2005 - 10:11 AM

#18 skifree

skifree

smoothie queen

• Members
  • 3,440 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 10:13 AM

No.  The doctor is more culpable.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OK, if a <a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.qklinkser...octor who&st=1" onmouseover="window.status='Search for: doctor who'; self.ql_skeyphrase='doctor%20who'; if(window.event) self.ql_sevent=window.event.srcElement; self.ql_timeout = setTimeout('ql_doMouseOver(1)', 1000); self.ql_isOverLink=true; return true;" onclick="if(self.ql_timeout) clearTimeout(self.ql_timeout); self.ql_isOverTip = false; ql_close. <!-- .(); self.ql_skeyphrase='doctor%20who'; window.status='Search for: doctor who';return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; if(self.ql_timeout) clearTimeout(self.ql_timeout); self.ql_isOverTip = false; setTimeout('ql_close. <!-- .()', 1500); ">doctor who</a> has the power to heal is culpable, why isn't the tehillim reciter who has the power to heal?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The tehilim reciter has a power but we don't always see results as with a doctor you could see it more easily.

#19 Guest_melech_*

Guest_melech_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2005 - 10:16 AM

#20 skifree

skifree

smoothie queen

• Members
  • 3,440 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 10:17 AM

But does the tehillim reciter have the power to heal and in the absence of reciting tehillim has killed the person?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No-I definitely believe not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users