• Please log in to reply
213 replies to this topic

#1 RebPropagandist

RebPropagandist

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 3,647 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 04:50 AM

I use the B110 Borough Park-Williamsburg bus sometimes and when I try to sit in the back the bus stops and I'm yelled at for sitting in the women's section...
Do I even need to say mo....
"Shake off all the fears and servile prejudices under which weak minds are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear." --Thomas Jefferson to Peter Carr, 1787

"How could you have a slogan like "freedom is slavery" when the concept of freedom has been abolished? The whole climate of thought will be different. In fact there will be no thought, as we understand it now. Orthodoxy means not thinkingónot needing to think. Orthodoxy is unconsciousness."
- From 1984
שויתי יהוה לנגדי תמיד
Sentimentality is the emotional promiscuity of those who have no sentiment.---Norman Mailer

#2 cholentpot

cholentpot

Stalker Eater

• Members
  • 2,868 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 04:54 AM

Is it the public bus or the community bus?
I agree that its..............

#3 Aviva

Aviva

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 07:39 AM

I use the B110 Borough Park-Williamsburg bus sometimes and when I try to sit in the back the bus stops and I'm yelled at for sitting in the women's section...
Do I even need to say mo....

Yes.

Is it the same driver every time that yells at you? Or whomever is driving the bus at that time?
"Intimacy is being seen and known as the person you truly are." -Amy Bloom
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn't it." -Groucho Marx
"I'd rather be hated for who I am than be loved for who I'm not." -Kurt Cobain
"Until you make peace with who you are, you'll never be content with what you have." -Doris Mortman
"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye." -Antoine de Saint-Exupery

#4 mall

mall

Hocker

• Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 08:40 AM

Wow thatís insanity! Segregation of women, how disrespectful, Where is their respect?
Why if they are scared of women don’t they just have separate buses?

#5 Short

Short

Humanistic Misanthrope

• Members
  • 5,775 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 10:22 AM

It's a community bus and is privately owned, so there's probably nothing you can do about it. And yeah, it sucks. Methinks that if they do want to separate the men and women, men should go in the back. This way the women have to pay up front and shlep to the back with buggies, kiddies and all. And men have an aversion to sitting next to anyone, so half the seats in the men's section can be empty while the women's section is crammed .
Ask a seismologist why there was a tsunami, don't ask a rabbi. - Moshi

#6 hashkcoffee

hashkcoffee

Decaffeinated

• Members
  • 2,972 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 10:23 AM

I thiink the women feel uncomfotable having you in their midst.

#7 Awesome!

Awesome!

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 10:24 AM

yeah he IS pretty hot.
hieb oif danne hentelech tsim taten in himel........

#8 grend123

grend123

Chair of Indefinite Studies, U.U.

• Members
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 10:25 AM

That's their problem, much like if a group of racists feel uncomfortable having a black person in their midst, he doesn't have to sit on the other side of the bus. We live in a real world and I have no sympathy for those who are so fragile that a bus ride in "mixed company" causes them discomfort.
Klal Yisrael is lucky that I wasn't a Rishon.

Do not feed your grend. It will only encourage it.

Al chet that a polish nobleman from the 18th century would not feel comfortable in my closet.

#9 hashkcoffee

hashkcoffee

Decaffeinated

• Members
  • 2,972 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 10:27 AM

grend, it's a private bus company, and 99% of the ridership wouldn't sit 'mixed'. People like RebP come around on the bus once in a blue.

and that quote was said tongue in cheek btw.

#10 cholentpot

cholentpot

Stalker Eater

• Members
  • 2,868 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 10:28 AM

yeah he IS pretty hot.

Malks you seem to like every guy.

#11 Psychodad

Psychodad

• Members
  • 7,376 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 10:30 AM

#12 grend123

grend123

Chair of Indefinite Studies, U.U.

• Members
  • 5,580 posts

I know what it is. I've ridden the bus, and I didn't make any waves, but it's still something I have zero sympathy for.
Klal Yisrael is lucky that I wasn't a Rishon.

Do not feed your grend. It will only encourage it.

Al chet that a polish nobleman from the 18th century would not feel comfortable in my closet.

#13 Elana

Elana

Godol Hador

• Banned
  • 10,630 posts

i didn't know it's privately owned, so it's really no different than, say, a lakewood bus with the mechitza. you can agree or disagree with it, but gotta follow their rules

#14 hashkcoffee

hashkcoffee

Decaffeinated

• Members
  • 2,972 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 10:31 AM

Is it the policy of the bus company that riders should sit seperate, or is this a "minhag" of the people who regularly take the bus?

the company never made it official, but it's self understood. the passengers want t that way. (They would not take the bus otherwise.)

#15 Psychodad

Psychodad

• Members
  • 7,376 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 10:32 AM

#16 Awesome!

Awesome!

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 10:34 AM

Malks you seem to like every guy.

2 points
hieb oif danne hentelech tsim taten in himel........

#17 Sweet

Sweet

Passionately Ambivalent

• Members
  • 6,949 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 10:36 AM

That's their problem, much like if a group of racists feel uncomfortable having a black person in their midst, he doesn't have to sit on the other side of the bus. We live in a real world and I have no sympathy for those who are so fragile that a bus ride in "mixed company" causes them discomfort.

Would sitting next to a chussid make you uncomfortable?
The world has too many stupid people who are full of confidence, and smart people who are full of self-doubt.

#18 Guest_melech_*

Guest_melech_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2007 - 10:37 AM

#19 hashkcoffee

hashkcoffee

Decaffeinated

• Members
  • 2,972 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 10:39 AM

If it's not a policy of the bus company, he has every right to sit where he wants. Whoever yelled at him is just being obnoxious.

chivalry is dead?
human decency is dead?
If these people abide by unspoken rule not to sit in mixed company, why the heck is it so hard to live like the Romans when in Rome?
What benefit does he have of sitting with the ladies - besides for being a davkanik, rubbing in their faces that he can defy what's considered acceptable in the community?
would he do something to davka offend people of any other religion in the world?
It's only hip, in, and cool to offend his own brothers, who are different than him.
Even non Jewish politicians behave in a respectable manner when visiting our community.
Wow. and I thought anti semitism was on the decline. Guess it's only practiced by jews these days.

#20 Very Lucky Guy

Very Lucky Guy

Dogs are still (much) cuter than babies!

• Members
  • 6,613 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 10:42 AM

chivalry is dead?
human decency is dead?
If these people abide by unspoken rule not to sit in mixed company, why the heck is it so hard to live like the Romans when in Rome?
What benefit does he have of sitting with the ladies - besides for being a davkanik, rubbing in their faces that he can defy what's considered acceptable in the community?
would he do something to davka offend people of any other religion in the world?
It's only hip, in, and cool to offend his own brothers, who are different than him.
Even non Jewish politicians behave in a respectable manner when visiting our community.
Wow. and I thought anti semitism was on the decline. Guess it's only practiced by jews these days.

I have to agree with you on this one.
Nothing, I have nothing to say.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users