Posted 04 July 2003 - 01:08 AM

Is there?

#2 Q!SAT

Q!SAT

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 04 July 2003 - 01:10 AM

What exactly are you looking for? And what would you constitute a YUish forum?
"What's the difference between a conductor and a teacher?
One minds the train..............The other trains the mind............"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Smile, and the world smiles with you..............."So smile- I'm smiling!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Libi B'Mizrach....

#3 me_guy

me_guy

Gabbai

• Banned
  • 603 posts

Posted 04 July 2003 - 01:33 AM

Something where they don't talk about how they don't shake hands, and then write a story with stuff like a girl hitting on a female Hatzalah driver.

#4 Nechama

Nechama

Godol Hador

• Admin
  • 5,755 posts

Posted 04 July 2003 - 08:26 AM

The closest I've found is The Protocols Blog run by some former YU Guys. But they are not a forum per-say- they blog and you can post in the comments section. I have yet to find a "YU-ish" message board.
If I have interesting things on the walls, no one will notice how dirty the floors are - right?

#5 aishel

aishel

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 04 July 2003 - 08:59 AM

why not make this into a YUish forum yourself? Make a new topic about the stuff you want to talk about.

#6 me_guy

me_guy

Gabbai

• Banned
  • 603 posts

Posted 04 July 2003 - 04:55 PM

Yeah, there should be a YUish forum on this site! Maybe the moderator will make one.

#7 aishel

aishel

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 04 July 2003 - 04:58 PM

you can create one yourself! Go to the forum you feel is appropriate, and then click New Topic. Talk about whatever you want.

#8 Nechama

Nechama

Godol Hador

• Admin
  • 5,755 posts

Posted 04 July 2003 - 04:58 PM

As a Stern-ish girl, I wonder what a YU-ish forum would contain???
If I have interesting things on the walls, no one will notice how dirty the floors are - right?

#9 shuttle

shuttle

Masmid

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 05 July 2003 - 07:10 PM

Something where they don't talk about how they don't shake hands, and then write a story with stuff like a girl hitting on a female Hatzalah driver.

Could u define a 'YUish forum' by what it is rather than what it isn't?

#10 me_guy

me_guy

Gabbai

• Banned
  • 603 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 10:40 PM

I meant that there should be a whole YUish forum, like hock or humor.
It would be like Protocols, but with a greater amount of religious content. We would discuss books, Jewish topics, current events, etc., but from a more YUish point of view. This would be the forum where it would be okay to read Encyclopedia Brown, and The making of a godol, and to say something nice about Zionism (at least religious Zionism), and, of course, YU!

#11 Nechama

Nechama

Godol Hador

• Admin
  • 5,755 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 10:46 PM

but from a more YUish point of view.

Since I am Sternish I can say this- I don't think we need an entire separate forum... an 'us' and 'them'. We just need more people to present their different hashkafahs and stand behind them! The reason these boards don't seem YU-ish is because there are not enough people presenting the more YU outlook on things here!

#12 me_guy

me_guy

Gabbai

• Banned
  • 603 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 10:59 PM

Very good! I will start a bunch of YUish topics, and tell everyone about this site!

#13 Nechama

Nechama

Godol Hador

• Admin
  • 5,755 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 11:00 PM

yay! YU people! I agree that we need more variety of viewpoints on this site.
What topics did you have in mind?

#14 me_guy

me_guy

Gabbai

• Banned
  • 603 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 11:37 PM

You start!

#15 Nechama

Nechama

Godol Hador

• Admin
  • 5,755 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 11:42 PM

You start!

Hey, I wasn't the one looking for YUish topics. But push comes to shove I'll think up somthing....

#16 ChaniMirelHersh

ChaniMirelHersh

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 07:02 AM

. . . wait a second. Back the truck up. When did it come to be that a university can typify an entire hashkafah? Last time I checked YU had guys annoyed that Mommy and Totty wouldn't let them go to Brisk Yerushalayim *and* guys that are mechalel Shabbos.

(On a more personal note, if colleges do have identifiable hashkafos, what does my having attended Brandeis say about me?)

#17 shuttle

shuttle

Masmid

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 07:28 AM

It would be like Protocols, but with a greater amount of religious content.  We would discuss books, Jewish topics, current events, etc., but from a more YUish point of view.  This would be the forum where it would be okay to read Encyclopedia Brown, and The making of a godol, and to say something nice about Zionism (at least religious Zionism), and, of course, YU!

You can discuss anything u want here, and add ur own opinions too - if u want to read EB, u can try discussing it with CMH ( :) ), if u want to say something nice about zionism, please do - if u believe something u should be able to back it up to the likes of NIRC. Complaining about others' attitudes without presenting ur own serious view doesn't speak well of the YUish point of view, and I hope what u've done so far doesn't typify it... <_<

#18 ChaniMirelHersh

ChaniMirelHersh

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 09:16 AM

And since when does Protocols *not* have Jewish content? The entire site is 1) Jewish content, that's 2) being critiqued by YU boys. There is already a viable forum for what you're looking for.

#19 Nechama

Nechama

Godol Hador

• Admin
  • 5,755 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 10:49 AM

. . . wait a second.  Back the truck up.  When did it come to be that a university can typify an entire hashkafah?  Last time I checked YU had guys annoyed that Mommy and Totty wouldn't let them go to Brisk Yerushalayim *and* guys that are mechalel Shabbos.

CMH is right. You can't really call anything YU hashkafah. Its a really mix over there.

#20 ChaniMirelHersh

ChaniMirelHersh

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 10:56 AM

(bows for her audience)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users