• Guests

Posted 20 November 2007 - 05:54 AM

#2 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 06:03 AM

Why are people comfortable doing things like opening an awning or the cover on a stroller [if it was already open a tefach] but chas ve-shalom anyone should use an umbrella?

melech, :)

Oh. We learnt this! I have to look it up in my notes. I think it was that the stroller case it already existed and you are not creating the ohel...

Pinchas is right - micha

For the record, IRL he is a really nice guy! - HappyDuck, Z"L

#3 Guest_melech_*

Guest_melech_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2007 - 06:29 AM

#4 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 06:57 AM

Okay... found it in my notes. It's based on a gemara - Eiruvin 102a.

Rav explained to Rav Huna that if the partition (or cover) exists on is permitted to add to it. This is why the baby cartridge cover is permitted.

Pinchas is right - micha

#5 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 07:11 AM

Oh, I posted that before I saw your reply.

I found something else interesting.

Nodah Bihuda (tinyana simon 30) held it's an isser Torah! (Both Ohel and Making a Kli). But the Chatam Sofer simon 72 disagrees and says it's not even an issur d'rabanan since it's built to open and close.

See Bi’ur Halacha in se’if 8 “tefach” which says the problem is the umbrella needs to be tied to be held open. (Our modern umbrellas don't work like that however.)

The Chazon Ish 52:6 disagrees with the Nodah Bihuda and says like the baby cartridge roof it's not Ohel but he says it IS making a Kli - because once it is open it can be transported and used anywhere. He also holds it's a uvda d'chol. He wrote that is was important for the leading rabbanim of the generation to erect barriers against it and that it's stricter than a personal chumra.

SS”K 24:15 explains why it's even forbidden if the umbrella was opened before shabbos!

Pinchas is right - micha

#6 Guest_melech_*

Guest_melech_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2007 - 08:11 AM

#7 doodlehead

doodlehead

cute little fluttery butterfly

• Members
  • 15,147 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 08:18 AM

That's all very interesting but for all the thumb waving and talmudic hair splitting, at the end of the day, "everybody" uses a cover on their stroller that was opened a tefach before shabbat and "nobody" uses an umbrella regardless. Which appears to me to be an application of the principle, "People do what they do and they don't what they don't".

The way umbrellas are opened is creating an ohel. The fact that you opened it before shabbos just makes it maris ayin. A stroller may not have the problem of maris ayin cuz it isnt always closed to make it be opened, or cuz there are plenty of strollers that arent built like that.

"Eat. Spit. Be Happy." -Davids
"Who is wise? he who can learn from every man. can be applied here, getting 'inspiration' from a one eyed whacko."
- soapmaker
" He who stands on toilet is high on pot" -Confucius
" When life gives you lemons make lemonade..... but if life gives you a handful of [email protected], dont try making anything out of it, trust me on that one. -Dahlai Lama
" I love Jews." -Somebody must have said it, somewhere
"A good friend will come and bail you out of jail................. but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "[email protected] that was fun".
Traveling the world in search of the truth.
Make aliyah, or aliyah will make you.
Author of the 1,234,567th post on Hashkafah.com!!

#8 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 08:22 AM

That's all very interesting but for all the thumb waving and talmudic hair splitting, at the end of the day, "everybody" uses a cover on their stroller that was opened a tefach before shabbat and "nobody" uses an umbrella regardless. Which appears to me to be an application of the principle, "People do what they do and they don't what they don't".

Did you see SS”K 24:15?

Pinchas is right - micha

#9 Guest_melech_*

Guest_melech_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2007 - 09:13 AM

#10 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 09:34 AM

It's presumptuous of "rp" to claim he understands the reason behind the geder.

Pinchas is right - micha

#11 Kalashnikover_Rebbe

Kalashnikover_Rebbe

fine, nice looking, batampte Ben Torah

• Members
  • 26,049 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 09:35 AM

There's no reason.

The Node B'Yehuda came up with an inexplicable stringent chumra that no one else understood* with and few poskim agreed with, but for some reason it "caught on" and umbrella = sheigetz...

*I remember when learning this is Kollel (I was too smart for Yeshiva so I went straight there), that we couldn't possibly understand how the Node B'yehuda derived that there was an Issur D'oarisa here or why he was so stringent...
[/flirting]

#12 Moshi

Moshi

Little Reb Sunshine

• Members
  • 21,046 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 10:39 AM

What about an umbrella that is completely open before shabbos? why is that assur?
The L-rd may not come when you call, but He's always on time. -Lemon Andersen

Kabel et ha-emet mi-mi she-omro.

"All is by the hand of Heaven, except colds and fevers" -Ketubot 30a.

~My Blog~

#13 doodlehead

doodlehead

cute little fluttery butterfly

• Members
  • 15,147 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 10:52 AM

What about an umbrella that is completely open before shabbos? why is that assur?

What I said before. Ma'ris ayin. Nobody opens an umbrella unless they're gonna use it.

"Eat. Spit. Be Happy." -Davids
"Who is wise? he who can learn from every man. can be applied here, getting 'inspiration' from a one eyed whacko."
- soapmaker
" He who stands on toilet is high on pot" -Confucius
" When life gives you lemons make lemonade..... but if life gives you a handful of [email protected], dont try making anything out of it, trust me on that one. -Dahlai Lama
" I love Jews." -Somebody must have said it, somewhere
"A good friend will come and bail you out of jail................. but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "[email protected] that was fun".
Traveling the world in search of the truth.
Make aliyah, or aliyah will make you.
Author of the 1,234,567th post on Hashkafah.com!!

#14 FYI

FYI

Naive or Clueless?

• Members
  • 16,184 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 11:03 AM

Why are people comfortable doing things like opening an awning or the cover on a stroller [if it was already open a tefach] but chas ve-shalom anyone should use an umbrella?

Because we asked a rav who said it was okay.
Many people wish they could change their life, when all they really need to do is change their attitude towards life. - Sharon

#15 Guest_melech_*

Guest_melech_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2007 - 11:08 AM

#16 FYI

FYI

Naive or Clueless?

• Members
  • 16,184 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 11:50 AM

Did the Rav explain on what basis an umbrella is different than a stroller canopy?

Nope. At the time I didn't really even understand the question but a friend mentioned to me that there may be an issue so I asked about it.
Many people wish they could change their life, when all they really need to do is change their attitude towards life. - Sharon

#17 Moshi

Moshi

Little Reb Sunshine

• Members
  • 21,046 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 11:46 AM

Good question...
The L-rd may not come when you call, but He's always on time. -Lemon Andersen

Kabel et ha-emet mi-mi she-omro.

"All is by the hand of Heaven, except colds and fevers" -Ketubot 30a.

~My Blog~

#18 cynic

cynic

Godol Hador

• Banned
  • 6,642 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 12:21 PM

What I said before. Ma'ris ayin. Nobody opens an umbrella unless they're gonna use it.

How would that be ma'aris ayin?

#19 Rentsy

Rentsy

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 3,005 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 11:49 PM

Someone needs to ask Ovadya Yosef if it is okay to carry an umbrella that has been opened before Shabbat in an area that has an eruv.
רמב"ם הלכות תשובה פרק העשירי, הלכה ב

העובד מאהבה - עוסק בתורה ובמצוות והולך במתיבות החוכמה לא מפני דבר בעולם, לא מפני יראת הרעה ולא כדי לירש הטובה, אלא עושה האמת מפני שהוא אמת

הלכה ג

אהבה גדולה יתרה רבה עזה עד מאד, עד שתהא נפשו קשורה באהבת השם ... וכל שיר השירים משל הוא לענין זה

#20 Snag

Snag

הבל יפצה פי

• Banned
  • 11,108 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 04:39 AM

stroller covers are different only if the cover a tefach already, based on the principle of mosif al ohel aro'i. see the s"a/m"b on vilon s'fino for details.
"Spiritual wants and instincts are as various in the human family as are physical appetites, complexions, and features, and a man is only at his best, morally, when he is equipped with the religious garment whose color and shape and size most nicely accommodate themselves to the spiritual complexion, angularities, and stature of the individual who wears it."

"The despotism of heaven is the one absolutely perfect government. An earthly despotism would be the absolutely perfect earthly government, if the conditions were the same; namely, the despot the perfectest individual of the human race, and his lease of life perpetual. But as a perishable perfect man must die, and leave his despotism in the hands of an imperfect successor, an earthly despotism is not merely a bad form of government, it is the worst form that is possible."

-Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users