• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Pure Myrrh

Pure Myrrh

Newbie Emeritus

• Members
  • 6,401 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 01:27 PM

How do I figure out if my wife and I have built one, or if any other couple has, for that matter? Are there objective or subjective criteria that must be considered?
Do you love the IRS? If so please do NOT support the FairTax proposal!

#2 doodlehead

doodlehead

cute little fluttery butterfly

• Members
  • 15,147 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 01:31 PM

How do I figure out if my wife and I have built one, or if any other couple has, for that matter? Are there objective or subjective criteria that must be considered?

The way to check is to put on a helmet, start about 30 feet back, tuck your head down, and run towards the front door. If the result is a loud crunching noise and some pain, then you have succesfully built a bayis ne'eman. If you just feel a rush of air and no pain, close the front door and try again.

"Eat. Spit. Be Happy." -Davids
"Who is wise? he who can learn from every man. can be applied here, getting 'inspiration' from a one eyed whacko."
- soapmaker
" He who stands on toilet is high on pot" -Confucius
" When life gives you lemons make lemonade..... but if life gives you a handful of cr@p, dont try making anything out of it, trust me on that one. -Dahlai Lama
" I love Jews." -Somebody must have said it, somewhere
"A good friend will come and bail you out of jail................. but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "d@mn that was fun".
Traveling the world in search of the truth.
Make aliyah, or aliyah will make you.
Author of the 1,234,567th post on Hashkafah.com!!

#3 Pure Myrrh

Pure Myrrh

Newbie Emeritus

• Members
  • 6,401 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 01:37 PM

The way to check is to put on a helmet, start about 30 feet back, tuck your head down, and run towards the front door. If the result is a loud crunching noise and some pain, then you have succesfully built a bayis ne'eman. If you just feel a rush of air and no pain, close the front door and try again.

We live in an apartment. 30 feet back would be in our neighbors' apartment across the hall, and it would be embarassing to do that in front of them, especially with the helmet. Any alternatives?

#4 Moshi

Moshi

Little Reb Sunshine

• Members
  • 21,046 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 01:42 PM

We live in an apartment. 30 feet back would be in our neighbors' apartment across the hall, and it would be embarassing to do that in front of them, especially with the helmet. Any alternatives?

The bracha is for the couple to move out of the apartment and build a house. If you buy a house and just do a bit of work on it, that could count as building it, but it depends who you ask.
The L-rd may not come when you call, but He's always on time. -Lemon Andersen

Kabel et ha-emet mi-mi she-omro.

"All is by the hand of Heaven, except colds and fevers" -Ketubot 30a.

~My Blog~

#5 doodlehead

doodlehead

• Members
  • 15,147 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 01:42 PM

You can either put the helmet on once you hit the hallway, or try with less of running start. Also you can try laying on your stomach on a skateboard and having your wife push you into walls inside your apartment. You're gonna need your helmet.

"Who is wise? he who can learn from every man. can be applied here, getting 'inspiration' from a one eyed whacko."
- soapmaker
" When life gives you lemons make lemonade..... but if life gives you a handful of cr@p, dont try making anything out of it, trust me on that one. -Dahlai Lama
"A good friend will come and bail you out of jail................. but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "d@mn that was fun".

#6 doodlehead

doodlehead

• Members
  • 15,147 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 01:48 PM

The bracha is for the couple to move out of the apartment and build a house. If you buy a house and just do a bit of work on it, that could count as building it, but it depends who you ask.

So if someone buys an apartment, or hires builders, it wouldnt qualify?

- soapmaker

#7 Moshi

Moshi

Little Reb Sunshine

• Members
  • 21,046 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 01:53 PM

So if someone buys an apartment, or hires builders, it wouldnt qualify?

I don't think so. You're living in some goyishe beis most likely. Maybe a place in the country that you use in the summer qualifies, but that's kind of cheating.

~My Blog~

#8 doodlehead

doodlehead

• Members
  • 15,147 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 01:55 PM

I don't think so. You're living in some goyishe beis most likely. Maybe a place in the country that you use in the summer qualifies, but that's kind of cheating.

Where did you get these guidelines from?
Does it have to be in Israel?
- soapmaker

#9 Moshi

Moshi

Little Reb Sunshine

• Members
  • 21,046 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 01:57 PM

Where did you get these guidlines from?9

I asked people when i was getting my mazeltovs.

Does it have to be in Israel?

does it not say "B'yisroel"?

but i'm sure the folks in Kiryas Joel wiggle out of that one somehow.

~My Blog~

#10 doodlehead

doodlehead

• Members
  • 15,147 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 02:00 PM

I asked people when i was getting my mazeltovs.

does it not say "B'yisroel"?

but i'm sure the folks in Kiryas Joel wiggle out of that one somehow.

They probably 'wiggle' out by realizing that bayis neman biyisrael doesnt mean a literal house, but a family established as part of the jewish nation.

- soapmaker

#11 Pure Myrrh

Pure Myrrh

Newbie Emeritus

• Members
  • 6,401 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 02:04 PM

So just to clarify, when people say "May you be zoche to build a bayis ne'eman b'yisroel":

Does "build" mean that one must literally build it, or may one hire someone else to do so? Does buying or renting an already-built thing count?

Does "bayis" mean davka a single-family home? Can it be an apartment? A trailer? A car if one lives in it as one's dwelling place? Or is "bayis" meant figuratively and it does not refer to a house at all?

What does "ne'eman" mean? If referring to an actual structure, does it mean that the structure is honest? That seems meaningless. Perhaps it means "trustworthy" in the sense of "reliable", meaning that it won't fall down due to a ru'ach metzuyah? If "bayis" is figurative, what does "ne'eman" mean then?

"B'yisroel" - does that mean in Israel the country? In Israel the nation? In someone named Yisroel?

#12 Moshi

Moshi

Little Reb Sunshine

• Members
  • 21,046 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 02:05 PM

They probably 'wiggle' out by realizing that bayis neman biyisrael doesnt mean a literal house, but a family established as part of the jewish nation.

oh please, what's better a real house or some fake metaphorical one? clearly it means you should build a real house. in israel. yes. come on where is pinchas when i need him.

~My Blog~

#13 Moshi

Moshi

Little Reb Sunshine

• Members
  • 21,046 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 02:08 PM

Does "build" mean that one must literally build it, or may one hire someone else to do so? Does buying or renting an already-built thing count?

One must build it. You can hire someone to build it for you, if you are so Jewish you shy away from manual labor.

Does "bayis" mean davka a single-family home? Can it be an apartment? A trailer? A car if one lives in it as one's dwelling place? Or is "bayis" meant figuratively and it does not refer to a house at all?

A single family home. A lawn is a plus.

What does "ne'eman" mean? If referring to an actual structure, does it mean that the structure is honest? That seems meaningless. Perhaps it means "trustworthy" in the sense of "reliable", meaning that it won't fall down due to a ru'ach metzuyah? If "bayis" is figurative, what does "ne'eman" mean then?

It's coming to teach you that if you are honest in your dealings, then you will merit a nice house.

"B'yisroel" - does that mean in Israel the country? In Israel the nation? In someone named Yisroel?

In Israel the country.

:singer:

~My Blog~

#14 doodlehead

doodlehead

• Members
  • 15,147 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 02:10 PM

oh please, what's better a real house or some fake metaphorical one? clearly it means you should build a real house. in israel. yes. come on where is pinchas when i need him.

Ah. You're making joke.

- soapmaker

#15 Moshi

Moshi

Little Reb Sunshine

• Members
  • 21,046 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 02:13 PM

Ah. You're making joke.

:bigcry:

~My Blog~

#16 doodlehead

doodlehead

• Members
  • 15,147 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 02:15 PM

:bigcry:

:unsure:

- soapmaker

#17 Moshi

Moshi

Little Reb Sunshine

• Members
  • 21,046 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 02:28 PM

:unsure:

don't mind me. i'm feeling out of it today. :dunce:

~My Blog~

#18 doodlehead

doodlehead

• Members
  • 15,147 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 02:30 PM

don't mind me. i'm feeling out of it today. :dunce:

:juggle: This should make you feel better.
(just watch him for a few minutes)

- soapmaker

#19 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 03:20 PM

Nothing to add. :) Just wanted to say hi. :wavey:

Pinchas is right - micha

For the record, IRL he is a really nice guy! - HappyDuck, Z"L

#20 Moshi

Moshi

Little Reb Sunshine

• Members
  • 21,046 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 03:23 PM

Nothing to add. :) Just wanted to say hi. :wavey:

hello.

thanks doodlehead, it helps. i didn't have the patience to watch him for that long though

~My Blog~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users