About a hundred years."

(Mr. Cuckoo's Clock Shop)

#2 FYI

FYI

Naive or Clueless?

• Members
  • 16,184 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 11:00 AM

I'm searching for a high chair and everything they sell now is extremely wide and takes up too much space, unless you want a fancy Eddie Bauer wooden one. What happened to the normal high chairs? Where do I find one before our food-loving princess wrecks her bouncer seat and my lap?

If she can sit up, you can get a bouncer seat for about $10-20. Otherwise, I have seen 'travel high chairs' that are like booster seats but lean back if child can't sit up yet and then can be adjusted when child can sit, etc. which basically just get strapped onto a regular chair.

In general, I like the options I mention but for the safety of my baby, I let her sit on her 'throne' and watch the kids if they're in a particularly wild mood. Otherwise I just let her 'join in the fun'
Many people wish they could change their life, when all they really need to do is change their attitude towards life. - Sharon

#3 Jeanette

Jeanette

Pretentious

• Members
  • 6,112 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 11:04 AM

I'm searching for a high chair and everything they sell now is extremely wide and takes up too much space, unless you want a fancy Eddie Bauer wooden one. What happened to the normal high chairs? Where do I find one before our food-loving princess wrecks her bouncer seat and my lap?

They are made this way for safety since the old fashioned 4-legged ones were much more likely to tip.

I second FYI's recommendation of a booster seat that straps on to a chair, although they're not really good until the kid can sit up well independently.

#4 Arizona

Arizona

Checking IDs

• Members
  • 3,484 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 11:05 AM

"But it's a dry heat."

#5 Bluelaptop

Bluelaptop

Blackliner

• Members
  • 4,145 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 11:09 AM

Sleeping Beauty came at 4
Her eyes were filled with tears.
"Oh my," she said, "I overslept
About a hundred years."

#6 agent220

agent220

Mommy

• Members
  • 7,142 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 11:17 AM

We have a Fisher Price one from the early 90's we are borrowing, and booster seats are great if you secure them well.

http://www.toysrus.c...oductId=2601257 doesn't look so wide.
When you try to make a statement, all you're really doing is raising questions.

#7 Bluelaptop

Bluelaptop

Blackliner

• Members
  • 4,145 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 11:19 AM

About a hundred years."

#8 U Tarzan me Jane

U Tarzan me Jane

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 11:19 AM

http://www.amazon.co...S...1272&sr=8-5

I prefer something like this for a younger baby. It reclines, and its still a booster, takes up very little space, and can be hosed down in the bathtub when it gets really dirty. I hate those behemoth highchairs. I threw mine away after I had to clean it for peasach one year, I refused to do it again!
"Common things happen commonly, uncommon things don't. So when you hear hoofbeats, think horses , not zebras."

"Be open minded, But, not so open minded that your brains fall out!"

" I mean how do you greet moshiach if half a baby is hanging out of your hoo ha??" Bird

#9 Elana

Elana

Godol Hador

• Banned
  • 10,630 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 11:24 AM

i have no room for the high chair in my kitchen, so this is something i've been using since my daughter started sitting - it reclines (and still use it - she is almost 3)

http://www.target.co...-...;rh=&page=1

#10 FYI

FYI

Naive or Clueless?

• Members
  • 16,184 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 11:29 AM

I understand it's for the common good, but this country is paranoid.

Yup.

http://www.amazon.co...S...1272&sr=8-5

http://www.target.co...-...;rh=&page=1

These are basically what I"m referring to.

i have no room for the high chair in my kitchen, so this is something i've been using since my daughter started sitting - it reclines (and still use it - she is almost 3)

When does she get to sit in a regular chair?
Many people wish they could change their life, when all they really need to do is change their attitude towards life. - Sharon

#11 Spiffy

Spiffy

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,007 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 11:31 AM

We have the second one pictured, though a bit of an older version. We're very happy with it.
A Jew without good middos is simply incomplete...

Every age is modern to those that live in it

How do you feel when there's no sun? And how will you be when rain clouds come and pull you down again?

Mmmmm, whatcha say?

#12 agent220

agent220

Mommy

• Members
  • 7,142 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 11:51 AM

http://www.babytrend....0000.0000.0000
Check out some of the Baby Trend highchairs. This brand seems to have a bit smaller ones, and I'm sure some stores carry them.

#13 Elana

Elana

Godol Hador

• Banned
  • 10,630 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 11:54 AM

When does she get to sit in a regular chair?

will see - either when i take it off to clean for pesach and will be too lazy to put it back on or when she doesn't fit any more :) for some reason, i think she won't eb too comfortable sitting in a regular chair, cause she won't reach the table comfortably? when we went away for shabbos and she was sitting in a regular chair, it was very unfortoable for her, she couldn't eat normally.

she loves her booster seat, btw!

#14 Bluelaptop

Bluelaptop

Blackliner

• Members
  • 4,145 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 11:56 AM

About a hundred years."

#15 agent220

agent220

Mommy

• Members
  • 7,142 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 11:57 AM

will see - either when i take it off to clean for pesach and will be too lazy to put it back on or when she doesn't fit any more :) for some reason, i think she won't eb too comfortable sitting in a regular chair, cause she won't reach the table comfortably? when we went away for shabbos and she was sitting in a regular chair, it was very unfortoable for her, she couldn't eat normally.

she loves her booster seat, btw!

Depends on chair, and depends on table. My son who is quite short doesn't use a booster seat at home (he would benefit, but he's too insistent not to :)) but at his grandparents' he has to (they only have folding chairs which are lower down).

#16 Pamello

Pamello

uNiQuE

• Members
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 05:46 PM

http://www.ikea.com/...oducts/30069724

You can buy a tray (or two) for it. My daughter used it from around 6 months and fit nicely in it, I've seen quite big kids fit in it too. The height isn't adjustable but it is table height which is appropriate and it is really easy to clean.

:)

#17 accolade

accolade

probably doesn't care

• Members
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 06:22 PM

I'm scared to use boosters.

I'm sick of this whole safety business.

How do you reconcile these two statements? :unsure:

We own a couple of Ikea <$20 high chairs. They're small and plastic and I can't think of any problem with them other than that the tray can't be removed.
דעלך סני לחברך לא תעביד

#18 Elana

Elana

Godol Hador

• Banned
  • 10,630 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 06:43 PM

Depends on chair, and depends on table. My son who is quite short doesn't use a booster seat at home (he would benefit, but he's too insistent not to :)) but at his grandparents' he has to (they only have folding chairs which are lower down).

makes sense - the times we tried it by others, there were dining room tables, my kitchen one is probably a bit lower.

#19 Pamello

Pamello

uNiQuE

• Members
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 07:01 AM

We own a couple of Ikea <$20 high chairs. They're small and plastic and I can't think of any problem with them other than that the tray can't be removed.

See the link in the post above yours. Is that the one - if yes you can remove the tray if you do it right (and it isn't difficult).

:)

#20 Bluelaptop

Bluelaptop

Blackliner

• Members
  • 4,145 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 09:39 AM

About a hundred years."