• Guests

Posted 17 March 2008 - 11:45 AM

#2 Moshi

Moshi

Little Reb Sunshine

• Members
  • 21,046 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 12:44 PM

I heard two separate things about the minimum size of tallis.

One is that it has to be large enough to cover a small child being able to walk.
That probably means that even the really narrow (only covers adult's shoulders) tallisim are kosher, right? And your kid's tallis should almost by definition be ok for you too?

But then I also heard that it has to be big enough so that you aren't embarrassed to be seen in it in public (something to do with Shechem and nakedness). That would make it much bigger than the first requirement?

Also the free tallisim in shuls often are only big enough to cover the shoulders. They are wide, but narrow.
What's the deal with those? Can you say a bracha before wearing them? [Oy, and on top of that, those shul tallisim are not yours! hmmmm]
The L-rd may not come when you call, but He's always on time. -Lemon Andersen

Kabel et ha-emet mi-mi she-omro.

"All is by the hand of Heaven, except colds and fevers" -Ketubot 30a.

~My Blog~

#3 Yehudi

Yehudi

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 11:44 PM

Is there a heter for a kid to wear a tallit katan that's proportionate to his size but too small for an adult?

I saw that the Laws of Daily Living cites the Igros Moshe vol. 6 YD siman 52 [Seif 2] where this precise question is discussed.
One Nation - One Land - One Torah

#4 doodlehead

doodlehead

cute little fluttery butterfly

• Members
  • 15,147 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 11:57 PM

Agent, did you read this thread?

"Eat. Spit. Be Happy." -Davids
"Who is wise? he who can learn from every man. can be applied here, getting 'inspiration' from a one eyed whacko."
- soapmaker
" He who stands on toilet is high on pot" -Confucius
" When life gives you lemons make lemonade..... but if life gives you a handful of [email protected], dont try making anything out of it, trust me on that one. -Dahlai Lama
" I love Jews." -Somebody must have said it, somewhere
"A good friend will come and bail you out of jail................. but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "[email protected] that was fun".
Traveling the world in search of the truth.
Make aliyah, or aliyah will make you.
Author of the 1,234,567th post on Hashkafah.com!!

#5 agent220

agent220

Mommy

• Members
  • 7,142 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 08:16 AM

(Now I did :) But I wasn't speaking about the beged itself...just the strings. Thanks though!)
When you try to make a statement, all you're really doing is raising questions.

#6 doodlehead

doodlehead

• Members
  • 15,147 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 08:59 AM

(Now I did :) But I wasn't speaking about the beged itself...just the strings. Thanks though!)

:) Youre welcome.

"Who is wise? he who can learn from every man. can be applied here, getting 'inspiration' from a one eyed whacko."
- soapmaker
" When life gives you lemons make lemonade..... but if life gives you a handful of [email protected], dont try making anything out of it, trust me on that one. -Dahlai Lama
"A good friend will come and bail you out of jail................. but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "[email protected] that was fun".

#7 U Tarzan me Jane

U Tarzan me Jane

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 03:25 PM

I Find that the strings on tzitzit are all the same size Usually, but the begged is small. I asked if I could cut the strings (as my son was tripping in them) But was told no.

My four year old has the cutest Talit, it looks like a scarf with tziztit attached, He makes a bracha on it, and I was told that it was kosher.
"Common things happen commonly, uncommon things don't. So when you hear hoofbeats, think horses , not zebras."

"Be open minded, But, not so open minded that your brains fall out!"

" I mean how do you greet moshiach if half a baby is hanging out of your hoo ha??" Bird

#8 doodlehead

doodlehead

• Members
  • 15,147 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 03:27 PM

I Find that the strings on tzitzit are all the same size Usually, but the begged is small. I asked if I could cut the strings (as my son was tripping in them) But was told no.

Did you ask about burning them instead of cutting?

- soapmaker

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users