• Guests

Posted 18 March 2008 - 10:37 AM

#2 doodlehead

doodlehead

cute little fluttery butterfly

• Members
  • 15,147 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 12:21 PM

If "laylah lav zman tzitzit", why be makpid to wear tzitzit at night? Isn't that like women taking on a mitzvah from which they are pattur?

Probably for the same reason we wear four cornered begadim in the first place.

"Eat. Spit. Be Happy." -Davids
"Who is wise? he who can learn from every man. can be applied here, getting 'inspiration' from a one eyed whacko."
- soapmaker
" He who stands on toilet is high on pot" -Confucius
" When life gives you lemons make lemonade..... but if life gives you a handful of [email protected], dont try making anything out of it, trust me on that one. -Dahlai Lama
" I love Jews." -Somebody must have said it, somewhere
"A good friend will come and bail you out of jail................. but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "[email protected] that was fun".
Traveling the world in search of the truth.
Make aliyah, or aliyah will make you.
Author of the 1,234,567th post on Hashkafah.com!!

#3 Yehudi

Yehudi

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 11:55 PM

If "laylah lav zman tzitzit", why be makpid to wear tzitzit at night? Isn't that like women taking on a mitzvah from which they are pattur?

It comes from the Arizal in the Pri Eitz Chaim ch. 1

It is brought down in the Magen Avraham siman 21 Sk 2.
One Nation - One Land - One Torah

#4 Guest_melech_*

Guest_melech_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2008 - 02:40 PM

#5 existwhere?

existwhere?

חסד ואמת

• Members
  • 11,354 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 02:50 PM

Why not hold on to an etrog when you sleep?

because the pitom might fall off?
"If they would allow one dead soul to visit an assembly of philosophers, that would be the end of all their teachings." -R' Nachman

This Is All You're Missing!!! (4,17)
5 Kislev, 5770

#6 FYI

FYI

Naive or Clueless?

• Members
  • 16,184 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 03:03 PM

I wasn't thinking of that so much as let's say someone taking a shower at night and getting dressed again to go out, and putting his tzitzit back on.

But since you raise the issue of sleeping with tzitzit, what's the reason? Why not hold on to an etrog when you sleep?

I once asked mh about this and he said if he went out without tzitzis people may come to think that he wasn't wearing them all day. (I don't think an official issue of maaris eyin, but just a perception thing. ) He never mentioned halacha to go along with it, that I remember.
Many people wish they could change their life, when all they really need to do is change their attitude towards life. - Sharon

#7 Guest_melech_*

Guest_melech_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2008 - 03:05 PM

#8 Yehudi

Yehudi

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 11:47 AM

I wasn't thinking of that so much as let's say someone taking a shower at night and getting dressed again to go out, and putting his tzitzit back on.

I must not be understanding something. doesn't the Tur cite his father the Rosh, that one WOULD be obligated to wear tzitzis if they did that?

But since you raise the issue of sleeping with tzitzit, what's the reason? Why not hold on to an etrog when you sleep?

you asked for it....

(pri eitz Chaim Shaar tzitzis perek 1)

אך הט"ק, צריך שישכב עמו אפילו במטה, כי בלילה הז"א ישן בסוד עיבור, שחוזר להתעבר תוך בינה, בבחי' קטנות ג' כלילין בג', לעולם לא יתבטל, וזה אפילו בלילה אינו נפסק. רק של גדלות לבדו הוא שמתבטל. אבל ציצית דג' כלילין בג', לעולם לא יתבטל אפילו בלילה, לכן נקרא ט"ג וט"ק. ולכן ראוי ליזהר שלא להסיר מעליו ט"ק בשום זמן, אפילו בהיותו ישן. רק בכניסתו למרחץ, לכך ראה דוד עצמו ערום במרחץ, ולא בהיותו ישן, כי אז היה לו ט"ק כנ"ל

#9 Guest_melech_*

Guest_melech_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2008 - 11:50 AM

#10 Yehudi

Yehudi

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 11:57 AM

If you are wearing a kesut yom. I'm not suggesting anyone walk around with four cornered garments without tzitzit at night. I'm asking why so many of us will davka wear an arba kanfot at night the way we do during the day. At least during the day we want to put ourselves in a position where we can fulfill a mitzvah d'orayta [or derabbanan] so we make a point of wearing an arba kanfot. But does that also apply during the day? Isn't it sort of like a chumra on a chumra?

But according to the Rosh when you do so by night, you are also fulfilling a Mitzvah?

Besides, wouldn't the above cited Pri Eitz Chaim be a reason?

#11 Guest_melech_*

Guest_melech_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2008 - 01:03 PM

#12 Yosef ben moshe

Yosef ben moshe

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 06:30 PM

it is not reqired. the Ari'zl and Ben Ish Hai z'l bring this idea down for two reasons. 1. it can protect a person from physical harm over night, and spiritual harm. 2. if you wore tzitzit during sleep, you would be fulfilling the mitzvah during the time of day when you are sleeping.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users