19 replies to this topic

#1 Silent J

Silent J

Administrator

• Admin
  • 489 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 11:26 AM

Here are some of the latest changes to our system:

1) Reported posts now go to a special section in the moderator forum so that mods can respond quicker to reports. This will also allow clearer communication as to what actions (if any) were taken and by which moderator.

2) Auto welcome message for new members who register. Although the welcome message is still being written up, it will send a greeting to the new member and inform them of the various sections of the website and where to update their profile etc.

The current message says:

Hello <#MEMBERNAME#>,

Thank you for registering at <#BOARDNAME#>.
Please feel free to browse around and get to know others.
If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

<#BOARDNAME#>

And we'll be sure to post the new message here once it's been written up.

3) We've corrected the upload issue.
4) New batch of smiley's (around 40) have been made available.
5) Installed the SEO module which will (hopefully) give our site higher ranking when people search for the content we have.
6) Increased length of characters for sig length.
7) Increased size for member avatars.

We anticipate the following [possible] changes in the near future:

1) Additional pips and member titles
2) Additional avatars bank.
3) Move one block of Google ads from bottom of page to be positioned between first post and rest of posts on any given page.
4) Updated Board Guidelines.
5) New FAQ section.
6) Prune member database (anyone with less than x posts/inactive x time)
7) New Skin(s)
8) Other (TBA)

At this time I'd like to encourage everyone to take advantage of our new server and update their profile/image/avatars/signatures.

Thank You.
Frumkeit without Mentchlichkeit is not Yiddishkeit!

LIKE our page on Facebook: Hashkafah.com

#2 Elana

Elana

Godol Hador

• Banned
  • 10,630 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 11:46 AM

thank you.

3) Move one block of Google ads from bottom of page to be positioned between first post and rest of posts on any given page.

is it really necessary?

#3 Silent J

Silent J

Administrator

• Admin
  • 489 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 12:22 PM

thank you.

is it really necessary?

The revenue we're making from ads at the bottom of the site are not yet covering the server expenses, so we anticipate that if they were in a more visible location, members are more likely to click.

#4 existwhere?

existwhere?

חסד ואמת

• Members
  • 11,354 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 12:28 PM

The revenue we're making from ads at the bottom of the site are not yet covering the server expenses, so we anticipate that if they were in a more visible location, members are more likely to click.

Actually, members are more likely to be annoyed.

They are going to alienate people you want posting, because it makes this site look less orthodox than it is at the moment. Especially the ads for women and whatnot.
"If they would allow one dead soul to visit an assembly of philosophers, that would be the end of all their teachings." -R' Nachman

This Is All You're Missing!!! (4,17)
5 Kislev , 5770

#5 LoveToLaugh

LoveToLaugh

Huh?

• Members
  • 5,340 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 01:26 PM

Could there be an option that for a certain amount of posts, you are awarded more storage space for attatchments and PMs? Not every member that occasionally lurks on the board needs the same storage space as a member who is constantly posting. I understand that things need to work by 'groups' but maybe people that have 1,000+ posts (just a random number) and have been active in the last month can actually move into a new group called 'frequent poster' or something which awards them more space in those two areas.

As for the unsightly google ads -- maybe we can have a set 'donate amount' every month that if the members can reach collectively, the google ads stay down below? We can even have a little thermometer thingy that shows how close we are to the needed amount which I'm imagining isn't even all that much.

This will encourage members who don't want to see the ads to donate a little here or there to keep the ads away.

Just suggestions, not sure if they are even implementable (is that a word?)
God, grant us the...
Serenity to accept things we cannot change,
Courage to change the things we can, and the
Wisdom to know the difference
Patience for the things that take time
Appreciation for all that we have, and
Tolerance for those with different struggles
Freedom to live beyond the limitations of our past ways, the
Ability to feel your love for us and our love for each other and the
Strength to get up and try again even when we feel it is hopeless.

#6 Xi

Xi

-->

• Banned
  • 6,300 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 01:34 PM

Could there be an option that for a certain amount of posts, you are awarded more storage space for attatchments and PMs? Not every member that occasionally lurks on the board needs the same storage space as a member who is constantly posting. I understand that things need to work by 'groups' but maybe people that have 1,000+ posts (just a random number) and have been active in the last month can actually move into a new group called 'frequent poster' or something which awards them more space in those two areas.

As for the unsightly google ads -- maybe we can have a set 'donate amount' every month that if the members can reach collectively, the google ads stay down below? We can even have a little thermometer thingy that shows how close we are to the needed amount which I'm imagining isn't even all that much.

This will encourage members who don't want to see the ads to donate a little here or there to keep the ads away.

:thumbsup:

I personally think those are both wonderful suggestions.

I was wondering, also, about cafepress, and if the site makes money off that.
Xi is intimidating, in an endearing sort of way. --Gretchen

#7 existwhere?

existwhere?

חסד ואמת

• Members
  • 11,354 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 01:35 PM

:thumbsup:
"If they would allow one dead soul to visit an assembly of philosophers, that would be the end of all their teachings." -R' Nachman

This Is All You're Missing!!! (4,17)
5 Kislev , 5770

#8 Silent J

Silent J

Administrator

• Admin
  • 489 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 02:13 PM

There is already 4MB available to members for upload space. This is plenty for any members needs. Also, the PM box amount set for members is 400. I hate to say this but thats a very fair amount of space. Clean up your inbox.

As for the Google Ads, we could offer an 'ad-free' membership to users who either donate (annually) or reach a certain amount of posts in a given time period. I'll consider it.

Xi, we don't sell an amount of H.com sweatshirts every month which can cover server costs. But, yes, the $1-2 dollars on every sale counts.

#9 Xi

Xi

-->

• Banned
  • 6,300 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 02:20 PM

Xi, we don't sell an amount of H.com sweatshirts every month which can cover server costs. But, yes, the $1-2 dollars on every sale counts.

:( I was hoping that the outrageous prices on sweatshirts were going to good use.
Xi is intimidating, in an endearing sort of way. --Gretchen

#10 Elana

Elana

Godol Hador

• Banned
  • 10,630 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 02:31 PM

Also, the PM box amount set for members is 400.

As for the Google Ads, we could offer an 'ad-free' membership to users who either donate (annually) or reach a certain amount of posts in a given time period. I'll consider it.

really? i thought it was 300.

i like it, although you don't have to do it "ad-free", just keep them on the bottom.

#11 Jeanette

Jeanette

Pretentious

• Members
  • 6,112 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 02:34 PM

I can see pruning long-term inactive members who have 0 posts, but otherwise I think no members should be pruned regardless of how long inactive. Plenty of members have returned after a long hiatus. Maybe send an email/PM to inactive members asking them if they'd like to stop by? Or maybe a "welcome back" message if a long inactive member returns.

#12 accolade

accolade

probably doesn't care

• Members
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 09:38 PM

We anticipate the following [possible] changes in the near future:
4) Updated Board Guidelines.
5) New FAQ section.

Can you please also write and publish a privacy policy. Thank you.
דעלך סני לחברך לא תעביד

#13 Silent J

Silent J

Administrator

• Admin
  • 489 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 10:54 PM

Can you please also write and publish a privacy policy. Thank you.

I don't see myself doing anything that would put me in a position of liability.

#14 accolade

accolade

probably doesn't care

• Members
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 11:00 PM

I don't see myself doing anything that would put me in a position of liability.

Huh. Fascinating.
דעלך סני לחברך לא תעביד

#15 Moshi

Moshi

Little Reb Sunshine

• Members
  • 21,046 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 11:58 PM

There is already 4MB available to members for upload space. This is plenty for any members needs. Also, the PM box amount set for members is 400. I hate to say this but thats a very fair amount of space. Clean up your inbox.

Do you think a banner ad for "Meet Christian women in your neighbourhood" in the middle of a thread is appropriate enough for members to be encouraged to click on it?
The L-rd may not come when you call, but He's always on time. -Lemon Andersen

Kabel et ha-emet mi-mi she-omro.

"All is by the hand of Heaven, except colds and fevers" -Ketubot 30a.

~My Blog~

#16 Silent J

Silent J

Administrator

• Admin
  • 489 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 04:03 PM

Do you think a banner ad for "Meet Christian women in your neighbourhood" in the middle of a thread is appropriate enough for members to be encouraged to click on it?

Do you remember the site it went to? I can filter it.

#17 FYI

FYI

Naive or Clueless?

• Members
  • 16,184 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 04:08 PM

Doesn't sound good to me. The other ones were all for us to benefit? I don't even like scrolling the wasted space between bottom of post and next post.

They are going to alienate people you want posting, because it makes this site look less orthodox than it is at the moment. Especially the ads for women and whatnot.

Agreed. Especially if they're not yet hooked.

Great idea!
Many people wish they could change their life, when all they really need to do is change their attitude towards life. - Sharon

#18 accolade

accolade

probably doesn't care

• Members
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 08:18 PM

Do you remember the site it went to? I can filter it.

I posted a screenshot in a thread shmeal started about the first 12 OTD hours.
דעלך סני לחברך לא תעביד

#19 Silent J

Silent J

Administrator

• Admin
  • 489 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 09:33 PM

I posted a screenshot in a thread shmeal started about the first 12 OTD hours.

I saw that (thank you), but I still don't have a link to filter.

#20 QuestionMarkGuy

QuestionMarkGuy

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 12:10 AM

....watch where you snip,
.......keep an eye when you clip.

This is a test, this is only a test, if this was your real life, it would come with instructions. (And better packaging)

They say that laughter is the best medicine.....it's just to bad that life is terminal...-QMG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users