• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 Jeanette

Jeanette

Pretentious

• Members
  • 6,112 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 04:33 PM

It may be her responsibility to be accurate, but that doesn't absolve a person from using her brain. If I am given a psak, and it makes no sense, am I absolved of responsibility to look into it further on the grounds of "He told me."?

My wife when she was engaged was told something by a kallah teacher. It was wrong*. Did she have no personal responsibility? If she just accepted the instruction blindly, would she be a tinok shenishba and absolved of any and all responsibility?

*Long story short, the rav instructed the kallah teacher to call ALL of her former students to correct the erroneous law she had been teaching heretofore.

How did she know it was wrong? What led her to believe that she was being given misinformation?

#42 Guest_melech_*

Guest_melech_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2008 - 04:40 PM

#43 Rachel

Rachel

It's Winterlicious!

• Members
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 04:56 PM

Authentic jews work in climate controlled offices. Physical exertion is for goyim. - Melech

I think that should be the answer to everything on H.com. It was God's plan that these kids should end up in prison in Japan, just as it was God's plan that certain 8th graders shouldn't be accepted to either of the two schools they applied to. And also that a thirteen-year old should have a kid and that certain people should dream of sex with the president. It solves all problems with no need for discussion. - Xi

#44 Aristotle

Aristotle

A Red Rose in a Black and White Movie.

• Members
  • 6,261 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 06:08 PM

. כלל הדבר, כי ראוי שיהיה השכל בן חורין -מהר"ל בחיד"א

#45 pleats

pleats

Rebbetzin Doctor

• Members
  • 3,649 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 10:03 AM

#46 Jeanette

Jeanette

Pretentious

• Members
  • 6,112 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 10:07 AM

I'm not sure about that. THM halachos are often taught one on one and practiced privately, as opposed to shabbos and kashrus which may be taught to groups, and are practiced (at least somewhat) publicly. I could see both of those as reasons why there could be more THM misinformation.

I was going to go off on some whole long rant, but what melech wrote was more concise.

Again, I don't know how I should have known to question this. The Kitzur Dinei Tahara also said not to shower your whole body after mikvah, and didn't specify how much time had to elapse between tevilah and intimacy, or if it had anything to do with intimacy. She quite specifically told me not to take a full shower after the wedding but to wash only part by part. This issue never really came up otherwise since there's usually no delay between immersion and intimacy, except maybe for very hot muggy summer nights when you get sweaty just walking home from the mikvah.

#47 outspoken

outspoken

חסד זך

• Members
  • 3,092 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 10:12 AM

Again, I don't know how I should have known to question this. The Kitzur Dinei Tahara also said not to shower your whole body after mikvah, and didn't specify how much time had to elapse between tevilah and intimacy, or if it had anything to do with intimacy. She quite specifically told me not to take a full shower after the wedding but to wash only part by part. This issue never really came up otherwise since there's usually no delay between immersion and intimacy, except maybe for very hot muggy summer nights when you get sweaty just walking home from the mikvah.

why would it involve any more than just taking a shower at a different time than you are generaly accustomed to? (ie on account of having gone to mikvah.)

as in if you regularly take a shower the next morning, and for some reason you haven't been together yet, why couldn't you take one the next morning?
"well has beruria spoken"
Proud card carrying member of the "I make my kallah chocolate cookies" club.

#48 pleats

pleats

Rebbetzin Doctor

• Members
  • 3,649 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 11:23 AM

#49 Sweet

Sweet

Passionately Ambivalent

• Members
  • 6,949 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 01:21 PM

They say that R' Shlomo Zalman Auerbach would take a shower before and after the mikva. When asked why he said, "I take a shower before because of V'ahavta Lre'acha K'mocha. I take a shower after because some people aren't makpid on V'ahavta Lre'acha K'mocha."
The world has too many stupid people who are full of confidence, and smart people who are full of self-doubt.

#50 doodlehead

doodlehead

cute little fluttery butterfly

• Members
  • 15,147 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 10:03 PM

They say that R' Shlomo Zalman Auerbach would take a shower before and after the mikva. When asked why he said, "I take a shower before because of V'ahavta Lre'acha K'mocha. I take a shower after because some people aren't makpid on V'ahavta Lre'acha K'mocha."

:lol:

"Eat. Spit. Be Happy." -Davids
"Who is wise? he who can learn from every man. can be applied here, getting 'inspiration' from a one eyed whacko."
- soapmaker
" He who stands on toilet is high on pot" -Confucius
" When life gives you lemons make lemonade..... but if life gives you a handful of cr@p, dont try making anything out of it, trust me on that one. -Dahlai Lama
" I love Jews." -Somebody must have said it, somewhere
"A good friend will come and bail you out of jail................. but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "d@mn that was fun".
Traveling the world in search of the truth.
Make aliyah, or aliyah will make you.
Author of the 1,234,567th post on Hashkafah.com!!

#51 Guest_melech_*

Guest_melech_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2008 - 05:35 AM

#52 Guest_melech_*

Guest_melech_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2008 - 10:05 AM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users