• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 joshman

joshman

Masmid

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 10:42 AM

what's the deal with the retzuos of tefilin shel rosh, that are dyed black on both sides, do you still have to worry about it getting twisted or are you safe?
Sebabah

"You know everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."
Will Rogers

"It's amazing that the amount of news that happens in the world every day always just exactly fits the newspaper."
Jerry Seinfeld

"Typos are very important to all written form. It gives the reader something to look for so they aren't distracted by the total lack of content in your writing."
Randy K. Milholland

"Peace is not synonymous with truth"
Shlomo Carlebach

#2 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 12:10 PM

what's the deal with the retzuos of tefilin shel rosh, that are dyed black on both sides, do you still have to worry about it getting twisted or are you safe?

They are not dyed black on both sides. If they look like they are maybe one side is just really dirty. You should keep them from being twisted.

Pinchas is right - micha

For the record, IRL he is a really nice guy! - HappyDuck, Z"L

#3 joshman

joshman

Masmid

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 12:17 PM

They are not dyed black on both sides. If they look like they are maybe one side is just really dirty. You should keep them from being twisted.

you are wrong, they are either dyed black on both sides or dyed thoroughly on one side so that it comes out on the other side,

any way s/o in my place over here just told me that reb sheinberg shlit'a wears them for precisely this reason because he wears tefilin all day and it is a big tircha for him to be constantly worried if they are twisted.
Sebabah

"You know everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."
Will Rogers

"It's amazing that the amount of news that happens in the world every day always just exactly fits the newspaper."
Jerry Seinfeld

"Typos are very important to all written form. It gives the reader something to look for so they aren't distracted by the total lack of content in your writing."
Randy K. Milholland

"Peace is not synonymous with truth"
Shlomo Carlebach

#4 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 12:30 PM

you are wrong, they are either dyed black on both sides or dyed thoroughly on one side so that it comes out on the other side,

any way s/o in my place over here just told me that reb sheinberg shlit'a wears them for precisely this reason because he wears tefilin all day and it is a big tircha for him to be constantly worried if they are twisted.

Interesting. I'm a not aware of anything like that. If so why aren't all tefillin made that way?

Pinchas is right - micha

For the record, IRL he is a really nice guy! - HappyDuck, Z"L

#5 grend123

grend123

Chair of Indefinite Studies, U.U.

• Members
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 03:27 PM

They are died through completely, not on both sides. Mine are like this - it costs a bit more, but I had it done the last time I changed the retzuot. The reason is not because of flipping - they are still shiny on one side and matte on the other, and you are supposed to keep shiny out - but because of scratching. Since they are through and through black, if you scratch them, instead of showing a white scratch which needs to be touched up with tefillin paint, they just show more black.
Klal Yisrael is lucky that I wasn't a Rishon.

Do not feed your grend. It will only encourage it.

Al chet that a polish nobleman from the 18th century would not feel comfortable in my closet.

#6 Bezalel

Bezalel

Stud muffin

• Members
  • 3,522 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 05:30 PM

They are died through completely, not on both sides.

I previously saw some advertised online, but can't find them now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users