Best way to remove spyware when initially using the software.
Last Updated: August 2nd, 2009. Running S&D 188.8.131.52
Spbyot Search & Destroy Homepage || Download 1 || Download 2 (for link 2, I personally prefer BN FileForum mirror)
1) Download and run installation. Choose "Compact installation" from the drop down menu. Do NOT install TeaTimer.
2) Run the program. [Vista Users - Make sure to run as Administrator].
3) [The "Legal stuff" popup will pop up, just hit OK] A Wizard will pop up on the upper-left section of the screen. Just keep hitting next until it gives you the option "Start using the program". Hit that.
4) On the left side, hit Update [use BN FileForum (Global) server, hit continue, select all updates and hit download]
5) When its finished updating, exit the updater and run the program (might open automatically). [Vista Users - Make sure to run as Administrator]
6) On top go to Mode - Advanced Mode. (answer Yes to Warning dialog)
7) Settings (bottom left)
8) Settings (again, on the left)
9) Scroll down to Automation - System Start.
10) Fill circle titled "Run Program once at next System Startup"
11) Restart computer.. when computer starts up run full scan (check for problems), and when done scanning select and fix all problems
12) Set Mode back to Default Mode
13) Run the Immunize feature. [Immunize everything.. I personally exclude the "Firefox Installations" immunization, it causes lag]
That's it for the initial run. For continuous usage, I suggest, around once a week, searching for updates, and re-immunizing. If you leave your computer on overnight, then you can set Spybot to run at some random time and scan the PC. [If not, once a month is enough to scan. Unless you use IE.]
P.S. If you accidentally installed TeaTimer:
To disable TeaTimer and remove its startup entry: * Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident o Uncheck (if checked) the following: Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) Active. To temporarily close TeaTimer and restart it later: * Right click Spybot's TeaTimer System Tray Icon > click Exit Spybot-S&D Resident. o TeaTimer closes. * Restart TeaTimer: o Using Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy. o Double click TeaTimer.exe to start it.