30 replies to this topic

#1 Dan

Dan

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 11:08 PM

Spybot S&D Guide
Best way to remove spyware when initially using the software.
Last Updated: August 2nd, 2009. Running S&D 1.6.2.46

Spbyot Search & Destroy Homepage || Download 1 || Download 2 (for link 2, I personally prefer BN FileForum mirror)

1) Download and run installation. Choose "Compact installation" from the drop down menu. Do NOT install TeaTimer.
2) Run the program. [Vista Users - Make sure to run as Administrator].
3) [The "Legal stuff" popup will pop up, just hit OK] A Wizard will pop up on the upper-left section of the screen. Just keep hitting next until it gives you the option "Start using the program". Hit that.
4) On the left side, hit Update [use BN FileForum (Global) server, hit continue, select all updates and hit download]
5) When its finished updating, exit the updater and run the program (might open automatically). [Vista Users - Make sure to run as Administrator]
6) On top go to Mode - Advanced Mode. (answer Yes to Warning dialog)
7) Settings (bottom left)
8) Settings (again, on the left)
9) Scroll down to Automation - System Start.
10) Fill circle titled "Run Program once at next System Startup"
11) Restart computer.. when computer starts up run full scan (check for problems), and when done scanning select and fix all problems
12) Set Mode back to Default Mode
13) Run the Immunize feature. [Immunize everything.. I personally exclude the "Firefox Installations" immunization, it causes lag]

That's it for the initial run. For continuous usage, I suggest, around once a week, searching for updates, and re-immunizing. If you leave your computer on overnight, then you can set Spybot to run at some random time and scan the PC. [If not, once a month is enough to scan. Unless you use IE.]

P.S. If you accidentally installed TeaTimer:
To disable TeaTimer and remove its startup entry:

* Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident
		  o Uncheck (if checked) the following:
			Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) Active.

To temporarily close TeaTimer and restart it later:

* Right click Spybot's TeaTimer System Tray Icon > click Exit Spybot-S&D Resident.
		  o TeaTimer closes.
	* Restart TeaTimer:
		  o Using Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy.
		  o Double click TeaTimer.exe to start it.

כלל זה יהא נקוט בידך: מי שאינו רואה את המקום [=ה'] בכל מקום, אינו רואה בשום מקום
איפה נמצא אלוקים? בכל מקום שנותנים לו להיכנס
-Kotzker

נישט אלעס וואס מען טראכט דארף מען זאגען, נישט אלעס וואס מען זאגט דארף מען שרייבען, נישט אלעס וואס מען שרייבט דארף מען דרוקען און נישט אלעס וואס מען דרוקט דארף מען ליינען!
-R' Salanter

יש בן חורין שרוחו רוח של עבד, ויש עבד שרוחו מלאה חירות; הנאמן לעצמיותו בן חורין הוא, ומי שכל חייו הם רק במה שטוב ויפה בעיני אחרים הוא עבד
-R' Kook

#2 existwhere?

existwhere?

חסד ואמת

• Members
  • 11,354 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 11:15 PM

Spybot S&D Guide

Spbyot Search & Destroy Homepage || Download link (I personally prefer BN FileForum mirror)

1) Download and install the program. Run it.
2) Run Update [use BN FileForum networks server, hit continue, select all updates and hit download]
3) When its finished updating, exit the updater and run the program. (might open automatically)
4) On top go to Mode - Advanced Mode.
5) Settings (bottom left)
6) Settings (again)
7) Scroll down to Automation - System Start
8) Fill circle titled "Run Program once at next System Startup"
9) Restart computer.. when computer starts up run full scan (check for problems), and when done scanning select and fix all problems
10) Set Mode back to Default Mode
11) When its finished fixing all problems, run the Immunize feature. [Immunize everything.. I happen to exclude the Firefox download immunization]

I just did this and it's running, but there are no icons, and no toolbar on my screen. (I got here by pressing the Donate button and navigating from there.)
"If they would allow one dead soul to visit an assembly of philosophers, that would be the end of all their teachings." -R' Nachman

This Is All You're Missing!!! (4,17)
5 Kislev, 5770

#3 Dan

Dan

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 11:16 PM

I just did this and it's running, but there are no icons, and no toolbar on my screen. (I got here by pressing the Donate button and navigating from there.)

Correct.. they will not appear until you close Spybot. It runs first and blocks everything else so that it can remove processes that would be running in memory... finish the rest of the steps, and close the program when finished.. guess what'll show up :)
כלל זה יהא נקוט בידך: מי שאינו רואה את המקום [=ה'] בכל מקום, אינו רואה בשום מקום
-Kotzker

נישט אלעס וואס מען טראכט דארף מען זאגען, נישט אלעס וואס מען זאגט דארף מען שרייבען, נישט אלעס וואס מען שרייבט דארף מען דרוקען און נישט אלעס וואס מען דרוקט דארף מען ליינען!
-R' Salanter

יש בן חורין שרוחו רוח של עבד, ויש עבד שרוחו מלאה חירות; הנאמן לעצמיותו בן חורין הוא, ומי שכל חייו הם רק במה שטוב ויפה בעיני אחרים הוא עבד
-R' Kook

#4 existwhere?

existwhere?

חסד ואמת

• Members
  • 11,354 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 11:24 PM

Warning: it takes all day to run (it's only a 1/3 finished after about 15 minutes.)
"If they would allow one dead soul to visit an assembly of philosophers, that would be the end of all their teachings." -R' Nachman

5 Kislev, 5770

#5 Dan

Dan

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 11:25 PM

Warning: it takes all day to run (it's only a 1/3 finished after about 15 minutes.)

You really shouldn't have IE running.. as IE might have modules running that are infected.
-Kotzker

-R' Salanter

-R' Kook

#6 existwhere?

existwhere?

חסד ואמת

• Members
  • 11,354 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 11:27 PM

ok, goodbye people.

5 Kislev, 5770

#7 Elana

Elana

Godol Hador

• Banned
  • 10,630 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 11:36 PM

wait, if start installing this, i shouldn't be on the internet?

#8 TheDuncePolice

TheDuncePolice

Knows she doesn't know

• Members
  • 12,659 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 11:38 PM

Proud member of the "I don't always wait until I finish reading the thread to respond" club.

Believe me, every heart has its secret sorrows, which the world knows not; and oftentimes we call a man cold when he is only sad. ~ Robert C. Savage

#9 Dan

Dan

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 11:40 PM

Spybot S&D Guide:

Get a mac. I haven't had one virus (poi poi) on my mac, and used to have viruses ALL the time on my PC, because of the nature of the downloads I need (no, don't get dirty thoughts now, I download scrapbook stuff that are hosted on many hosting sites).

Thank you for the helpful informational post. You can't imagine how many people you will help!

wait, if start installing this, i shouldn't be on the internet?

When running steps 9 through 11, don't have anything running.
-Kotzker

-R' Salanter

-R' Kook

#10 Elana

Elana

Godol Hador

• Banned
  • 10,630 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 11:42 PM

and the step 9 will take the whole day?

#11 Dan

Dan

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 11:42 PM

Depending on the speed of your computer, and how much junk it has on it :)
-Kotzker

-R' Salanter

-R' Kook

#12 existwhere?

existwhere?

חסד ואמת

• Members
  • 11,354 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 11:43 PM

Spybot S&D Guide

Spbyot Search & Destroy Homepage || Download link (I personally prefer BN FileForum mirror)

1) Download and install the program [Don't install TeaTimer]. Run it.
2) Run Update [use BN FileForum networks server, hit continue, select all updates and hit download]
3) When its finished updating, exit the updater and run the program. (might open automatically)
4) On top go to Mode - Advanced Mode.
5) Settings (bottom left)
6) Settings (again)
7) Scroll down to Automation - System Start
8) Fill circle titled "Run Program once at next System Startup"
9) Restart computer.. when computer starts up run full scan (check for problems), and when done scanning select and fix all problems
10) Set Mode back to Default Mode
11) Run the Immunize feature. [Immunize everything.. I happen to exclude the Firefox download immunization]

Did everything starting from step 4 except 10.

B"H it picked up 42 problems which were fixed.

Thank you very much.
Now, the only problem is that the teatimer thing is taking up over 90% of the CPU.

5 Kislev, 5770

#13 Savannah

Savannah

~*~ pixie smile ~*~

• Members
  • 20,505 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 11:44 PM

No, but it could take three hours.

#14 TheDuncePolice

TheDuncePolice

Knows she doesn't know

• Members
  • 12,659 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 11:45 PM

Proud member of the "I don't always wait until I finish reading the thread to respond" club.

Believe me, every heart has its secret sorrows, which the world knows not; and oftentimes we call a man cold when he is only sad. ~ Robert C. Savage

#15 Dan

Dan

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 11:46 PM

Did everything starting from step 4 except 10.

B"H it picked up 42 problems which were fixed.

Thank you very much.
Now, the only problem is that the teatimer thing is taking up over 90% of the CPU.

Sorry, I edited the instructions after you already installed the program.. just disable teatimer:

To temporarally close TeaTimer and restart it later:

* Right click Spybot's TeaTimer System Tray Icon > click Exit Spybot-S&D Resident.
		  o TeaTimer closes.
	* Restart TeaTimer:
		  o Using Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy.

:p

:)
-Kotzker

-R' Salanter

-R' Kook

#16 existwhere?

existwhere?

חסד ואמת

• Members
  • 11,354 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 11:50 PM

Sorry, I edited the instructions after you already installed the program.. just disable teatimer:

To temporarally close TeaTimer and restart it later:

o TeaTimer closes.
	* Restart TeaTimer:

:)

Done. Thank you so, so, so much for all your help and patience. :)

5 Kislev, 5770

#17 Dan

Dan

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 11:53 PM

Done. Thank you so, so, so much for all your help and patience. :)

My pleasure!

Besides for the fact it said it fixed problems, do you visually see the problem fixed?
-Kotzker

-R' Salanter

-R' Kook

#18 existwhere?

existwhere?

חסד ואמת

• Members
  • 11,354 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 11:55 PM

My pleasure!

Besides for the fact it said it fixed problems, do you visually see the problem fixed?

Yes I do- there are no popups, my computer is going at its usual speed, B"H. Everything looks in perfect order. Thank you so much.

5 Kislev, 5770

#19 Dan

Dan

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 11:59 PM

Yes I do- there are no popups, my computer is going at its usual speed, B"H. Everything looks in perfect order. Thank you so much.

I'm just Hashems shliach :)
-Kotzker

-R' Salanter

-R' Kook

#20 existwhere?

existwhere?

חסד ואמת

• Members
  • 11,354 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 07:06 AM

I'm just Hashems shliach :)

Thank you. I know it's not in your hands and thank Hashem that it's doing so well.

I regret to say that I just had another of that sort of popups.

Oh and Spybot just picked up another problem- doubleclick.
here are the infections: + Virtumonde + Virtumonde.prx + Webtools.tCPV6 +fake.javacore

5 Kislev, 5770

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users