me. im bored enough as it is.

That's 3.

#23 Mimi

Mimi

Gabbai

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 04:06 AM

if this ever happens, i volunteer bli neder to test the recipes i find appealing and invite at least 3 h.commers of my choice for taste testing

Same here. I think there would be a lot of h.commers willing to test recipes free of charge... I have to buy food anyway, so I might as well buy food to test h.com recipes with.

#24 Amber

Amber

ABG

• Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 09:33 AM

Bump in light of all the cooking/recipe threads.

#25 Jeanette

Jeanette

Pretentious

• Members
  • 6,112 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 09:40 AM

I can start.

Amber's cookbook:

1. Get a large pot. Something like this

2. A broom

3. Mystery ingredient #1

6. Add water

7. Stir on top of fire

8. Dance around pot

9. Give brew to little children

And Joy of Cooking recently updated their cookbook and took out all the porcupine and possum recipes. :bigcry: some readers were NOT happy about it.

#26 FYI

FYI

Naive or Clueless?

• Members
  • 16,184 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 09:59 AM

Same here. I think there would be a lot of h.commers willing to test recipes free of charge... I have to buy food anyway, so I might as well buy food to test h.com recipes with.

I've already done a bit of testing.

My recommendations:
Broadways' shnitzel pie
TDP's candied tomatoes
TDP's easy cheese bake

I'm trying to remember what other delightful recipes I've tried and worked out well
Many people wish they could change their life, when all they really need to do is change their attitude towards life. - Sharon

#27 adiel

adiel

Gabbai

• Members
  • 784 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 10:35 AM

i'm in.

maybe we can film a DVD based on this cookbook?
We are the music makers , and we are the dreamers of the dreams. - Willy Wonka

What the mind can conceive and believe, it can achieve. - Napoleon Hill

Frumkeit without Mentchlichkeit is not Yiddishkeit!

#28 Amber

Amber

ABG

• Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 11:12 AM

maybe we can film a DVD based on this cookbook?

Hmm?

#29 Guest_Melech_*

Guest_Melech_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2009 - 11:32 AM

#30 TheDuncePolice

TheDuncePolice

Knows she doesn't know

• Members
  • 12,659 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 11:48 AM

Proud member of the "I don't always wait until I finish reading the thread to respond" club.

Believe me, every heart has its secret sorrows, which the world knows not; and oftentimes we call a man cold when he is only sad. ~ Robert C. Savage

#31 TheDuncePolice

TheDuncePolice

Knows she doesn't know

• Members
  • 12,659 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 11:48 AM

Proud member of the "I don't always wait until I finish reading the thread to respond" club.

Believe me, every heart has its secret sorrows, which the world knows not; and oftentimes we call a man cold when he is only sad. ~ Robert C. Savage

#32 Guest_Melech_*

Guest_Melech_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2009 - 11:52 AM

#33 Amber

Amber

ABG

• Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 11:53 AM

Amber, if you're really serious about this, it's a matter of taking the bull by its horns.
Personally, I'd suggest to start out by deciding on a number of categories [salads; soups; dairy; chicken; dessert...whatever it is you decide] and create one thread for each of the categories , along with a master thread that links them.
Then everyone copies and pastes either their own recipes, or others, using a certain format described in the master thread, and you go from there.
Once you have a critical mass you'll likely find people jumping on the bandwagon.

That's a good idea. I don't mind taking responsibility here but I think it's important for someone with more experience in this area to at least assist.

That being said, I'll begin by asking for suggestions in terms of categories. What would you guys like to see? If/when I get some serious suggestions and feedback, I'll continue with the multiple thread process.

#34 Guest_Melech_*

Guest_Melech_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2009 - 11:55 AM

#35 Amber

Amber

ABG

• Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 11:57 AM

At that point, or probably even sooner, one has to decide if this is going to be a cookbook for sale, or for internal consumption.

I don't think it's practical to create a cookbook for sale.

#36 Guest_Melech_*

Guest_Melech_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2009 - 12:00 PM

#37 Amber

Amber

ABG

• Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 12:08 PM

I'm going to suggest that you start with something.
Go get a cookbook, and type out the categories.
It's easier to make suggestions if there's a starting point. People then can suggest additions or deletions.

Ok.

Good. Neither do I, personally. It's not my place to suggest what to do with this idea, but personally, if it were me, I'd focus on creating a fun project for the h.com tzibbur that brings the recipes in many different threads and forums into one organized project. I think it would be nice, personally, to create a cookbook that we can all print out as a keepsake for our kitchens.
If that's where you decide to end up, then that changes the dynamics a lot.

But who knows. You're not closing any doors. Maybe it will be phenomenally successful and those involved may decide to put something more professional together at some point in time.

But personally, if it were me, I'd start by organizing what we have and start by making a fun project for the tzibbur that brings us together in a mutual project. And don't bite off more than you can chew. Start slow, and grow, rather than start big and shrink.

Right. I'll start the process and if there's participation and interest, we'll take it from there.

#38 Guest_Melech_*

Guest_Melech_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2009 - 12:15 PM

#39 Amber

Amber

ABG

• Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 12:19 PM

ok, so just to repeat, work on the categories. And don't forget they can be fluid. You work out the categories, and start one thread for each category, and people copy and paste.

But you also need to work out a format.

You need consistency of format because eventually you want to be able to lift posts and paste them into a something like a Word document without having to retype every recipe. It's far, far easier to agree on a consistent format and then just have the tzibbur, as contributors, type the recipes in a consistent format rather than anyone having to re-format everything.

That means, for example, deciding if you're going to have everyone type
1 C sugar (granulated)
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs

or

1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs

Mix 1 cup sugar with 2 eggs and beat lightly, slowly adding vanilla.

[Melech]

[img]

Good idea. That'll be phase 2.

#40 Guest_Melech_*

Guest_Melech_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2009 - 12:21 PM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users