• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#41 TheDuncePolice

TheDuncePolice

Knows she doesn't know

• Members
  • 12,659 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 12:22 PM

Proud member of the "I don't always wait until I finish reading the thread to respond" club.

Believe me, every heart has its secret sorrows, which the world knows not; and oftentimes we call a man cold when he is only sad. ~ Robert C. Savage

#42 Guest_Melech_*

Guest_Melech_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2009 - 12:23 PM

#43 Jeanette

Jeanette

Pretentious

• Members
  • 6,112 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 12:24 PM

When you work out the format, I've always wished cookbooks would have the quantities in the instructions.
That is to say, typically a cookbook will say:

1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs

Cream eggs with sugar.

Rather than

Cream 2 eggs with 1 cup of sugar.

I could never figure out why cookbooks do that, why they leave the quantities out of the instructions and only list them at the top of the recipe.

But that's neither here nor there, just something I've always wondered about.

Because it's redundant.
Stage 1 of cooking is gathering your ingredients, so you want a list on top of the recipe.
Once you've gathered your ingredients you can check the list as you follow the instructions. No need to repeat.
The only time that amounts are repeated is if something is used twice (example, half a cup sugar for the batter and then another half cup for the crumb topping). But even then, they usually list ingredients for the different parts of a recipe separately.

#44 Guest_Melech_*

Guest_Melech_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2009 - 12:25 PM

#45 FYI

FYI

Naive or Clueless?

• Members
  • 16,184 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 12:25 PM

When you work out the format, I've always wished cookbooks would have the quantities in the instructions.

1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs

Cream eggs with sugar.

Rather than

I could never figure out why cookbooks do that, why they leave the quantities out of the instructions and only list them at the top of the recipe.

Because in English, we try not to repeat ourselves. I do agree it's easier your way so that you can be prepared and double-check your work.
Many people wish they could change their life, when all they really need to do is change their attitude towards life. - Sharon

#46 Amber

Amber

ABG

• Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 12:29 PM

1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs

Cream eggs with sugar.

Rather than

Well usually one would gather and measure out all ingredients prior to beginning so it's not necessary to include the measurements again in the directions.

Be-hatzlachah, Amber.

Thanks. Feel free to contribute. :)

#47 Guest_Melech_*

Guest_Melech_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2009 - 12:47 PM

#48 Amber

Amber

ABG

• Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 01:17 PM

Granted, checking to see that I have all the ingredients on hand before starting something would have precluded a number of unfortunate disasters.

I can imagine. :biggrin:

#49 Guest_Shuli_*

Guest_Shuli_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2009 - 02:35 PM

#50 Spiffy

Spiffy

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,007 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 03:23 AM

1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs

Cream eggs with sugar.

Rather than

That issue is exactly why I'm not a cookbook fan in general, and instead make my own. I can't stand the way recipes are written, I have to rewrite them.
A Jew without good middos is simply incomplete...

Every age is modern to those that live in it

How do you feel when there's no sun? And how will you be when rain clouds come and pull you down again?

Mmmmm, whatcha say?

#51 thinking

thinking

Gabbai

• Members
  • 918 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 06:34 AM

:biggrin: Screen names...
Page 15 - "BroadwayFreak's Shnitzel Pie"

#52 mat`

mat`

Gabbai

• Members
  • 509 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 09:02 AM

how about creating an official "recipe" thread? Meaning, next time someone asks in "show what you cooked today"for a recipe, the recipe should be entered in the dedicated thread and only linked in "show what you cooked". That should eliminate some copy and paste work.
Imagination is reality

#53 FYI

FYI

Naive or Clueless?

• Members
  • 16,184 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 08:35 PM

Where do reviews go?

I'm testing out some of the recent posts for Shabbos.
Many people wish they could change their life, when all they really need to do is change their attitude towards life. - Sharon

#54 Elana

Elana

Godol Hador

• Banned
  • 10,630 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 09:19 PM

ok, i'm very mixed up. please explain.

i wanted to do some work now and copy and paste desserts recipes from one long thread. but when i opened the new thread and saw the format, i stopped short. do we break teh recipe into that format? what if one of the format's parts is omitted?

:biggrin: Screen names...
Page 15 - "BroadwayFreak's Shnitzel Pie"

in my recipe box i have Nechama's blueberry crumb pie and BroadwayFreak's spinach noodles thing :biggrin:

#55 Amber

Amber

ABG

• Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 10:03 PM

ok, i'm very mixed up. please explain.

i wanted to do some work now and copy and paste desserts recipes from one long thread. but when i opened the new thread and saw the format, i stopped short. do we break teh recipe into that format? what if one of the format's parts is omitted?

Try your best to copy the format. Whatever you do is fine. Thanks for your help. :)

#56 FYI

FYI

Naive or Clueless?

• Members
  • 16,184 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 11:18 AM

Where does a recipe for kneidlach go?
http://www.hashkafah...&...st&p=602728

#57 justbatya

justbatya

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 11:24 AM

I'm gonna go with Soups.

My poor SO still thinks that a Batya is a what, and not a who.

Soda-Club Home Soda Makers
Blog-o-rama

#58 Amber

Amber

ABG

• Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 11:27 AM

I'm gonna go with Soups.

Agreed.

#59 FYI

FYI

Naive or Clueless?

• Members
  • 16,184 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 11:27 AM

I'm gonna go with Soups.

Amber, do you agree? I think I'm with batya but you're the one doing all the work, so want to double-check.

#60 Amber

Amber

ABG

• Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 11:29 AM

I think you two surpassed me in work for this project. :)

Anyway, I agreed above.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users