59 replies to this topic

#1 Elana

Elana

Godol Hador

• Banned
  • 10,630 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 08:17 PM

http://www.theyeshiv.....hgichot'.html

The Star-K Kashrus agency is planning its first ever training event for women as kosher supervisors (mashgichot). The major Baltimore, MD based agency currently runs a men’s seminar each year, although it is geared mostly to Rabbanim and the heads of kashrus agencies. The planned women’s conference in the Fall, is for women that serve as mashgichot in the food service industry, mostly at catering halls and restaurants. The program will teach proper procedures for checking vegetables, explain the dynamics of the kitchen, review policies and procedures, and draw attention to specific issues mashgichot should to be aware of. The seminar will also include trips to various facilities for a more “hands-on” approach.

The practice of using women for kashrus supervision, for which the Star-K relies on a ruling of the late sage Rabbi Moshe Feinstein, is growing. “Women are often more meticulous in their supervision,” said Rabbi Kurcfeld. “Even the slightest deviation will not be tolerated, which is a tremendous plus.” Rabbi Kurcfeld also explained that although one might expect women to have a harder time gaining respect in the kitchen, that is not the case. “You are only as good as who you are—you either have it or you don’t,” he said. “If you present yourself in a way that shows you are knowledgeable, sensible and have integrity, the workers will sense that.” “Besides,” he added, “who do you think takes care of the personal hashgacha in the home of Rav Heinemann (referring to Rabbi Moshe Heinemann, the Rabbinic Administrator of the Star-K)?” Many local kashrus committees expect the trend of hiring women as kosher supervisors to continue to increase.

#2 cynic

cynic

Godol Hador

• Banned
  • 6,642 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 08:20 PM

Neo-Maskilim.

#3 the Real Adiel

the Real Adiel

The REAL Adiel

• Members
  • 7,177 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 08:47 PM

Neo-Maskilim.

R' Heinemann definitely has a little of that in him.

Of course the major difference is that the last thing on his mind here is empowering women and his strong support for the feminist movement.

Being that he's part of the "OPS" I would be shocked if he did anything that would do anything other than promote a strong male-chauvinist viewpoint.

BrooklynBeans.com

I am Adiel's Advocate.

#4 Psychodad

Psychodad

• Members
  • 7,376 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 09:04 PM

#5 the Real Adiel

the Real Adiel

The REAL Adiel

• Members
  • 7,177 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 09:17 PM

Whatever will make him the most money.

:rolleyes: like he lives this really high lifestyle

BrooklynBeans.com

I am Adiel's Advocate.

#6 brianna

brianna

Sanctimonious Pleasure Seeker

• Members
  • 13,655 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 09:21 PM

I can't believe this. But what if the woman is menstruating? That might make her tamei and thus unfit for anything kashrus related! Also, women are emotional and unreliable. Oh and also this might take away the parnossa of men who are supporting a family. BOYCOTT!

[/tongue deep in cheek]
Certainly there is no shortage of married, left-wing harlots who do not cover their hair. Although, they're probably busy sacrificing their children to Ba‛al and filing divorce papers. ~ Milton

"Are you including as shomer negiya someone who is sleeping with his girlfriend but not shaking hands with the car dealer?" ~ Moshi

"Some people like their corn flakes soggy, other people get off on repression and guilt." ~ Sweet

Notice of New Policy: I now ask people permission before using their quotes.

#7 TheDuncePolice

TheDuncePolice

Knows she doesn't know

• Members
  • 12,659 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 10:26 PM

Proud member of the "I don't always wait until I finish reading the thread to respond" club.

Believe me, every heart has its secret sorrows, which the world knows not; and oftentimes we call a man cold when he is only sad. ~ Robert C. Savage

#8 Moshi

Moshi

Little Reb Sunshine

• Members
  • 21,046 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 10:31 PM

Wasn't the teschuva of RMF relating to a widow whose husband was in the kashrus business and now she was desperate for a heter to continue with his parnassa? *vague recollection*
The L-rd may not come when you call, but He's always on time. -Lemon Andersen

Kabel et ha-emet mi-mi she-omro.

"All is by the hand of Heaven, except colds and fevers" -Ketubot 30a.

~My Blog~

#9 Psychodad

Psychodad

• Members
  • 7,376 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 07:11 AM

#10 Kalashnikover_Rebbe

Kalashnikover_Rebbe

fine, nice looking, batampte Ben Torah

• Members
  • 26,049 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 07:31 AM

I don't see what the big deal is. Most low level masgichim are little more than "inspectors" to make sure that everything is kosher (pun intended). They don't have to have a very wide knowledge of halacha or even kashrus. They check ingredients, light ovens and stoves, check for bugs, and make sure that no funny business is going on (like an employee buying treif hot dogs and putting them on the grill). If there is a problem they can call a supervisor and they will take it from there... MAYBE once in a blue moon they'll be required to kasher something.

If we can have mikveh ladies we can certainly have "masgichot" as well (and there probably HAVE been just without any notoriety).......
[/flirting]

#11 cholentpot

cholentpot

Stalker Eater

• Members
  • 2,868 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 07:34 AM

I also don't see the big deal as gender plays almost no purpose in the job.
In South Africa we have a few women mashgichot working here at restaurants etc.

The serious stuff is left to those that possess the knowledge and skills to manage

#12 Guest_Melech_*

Guest_Melech_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2009 - 07:42 AM

#13 Guest_Melech_*

Guest_Melech_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2009 - 07:44 AM

#14 Savannah

Savannah

~*~ pixie smile ~*~

• Members
  • 20,505 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 08:35 AM

http://www.theyeshiv.....hgichot'.html

Awesome! :thumbsup:

#15 Red Hare

Red Hare

When this old you are, look as good you will not !

• Members
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 09:57 AM

Did you type all that out ?
"There's a stroller called Phil and Ted's? Is that the kind for most excellent adventuresome babies?" Sweet

"I discovered that all the participating members here are 'black sheep' in their own circles. On Hashkafah.com, the mainstream is truly wacked." Silent J

"H.com becomes a proverbial Hotel California for many of us" Nooch

#16 Guest_Melech_*

Guest_Melech_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2009 - 09:59 AM

#17 Kalashnikover_Rebbe

Kalashnikover_Rebbe

fine, nice looking, batampte Ben Torah

• Members
  • 26,049 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 10:07 AM

No. I copied and pasted it. From www.neomaskilim.com.

:rofl:

POTD
[/flirting]

#18 the Real Adiel

the Real Adiel

The REAL Adiel

• Members
  • 7,177 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 12:57 PM

No. I copied and pasted it. From www.neomaskilim.com.

:biggrin:

It's not about lifestyle as much is it is about power. Money = power.

You obviously don't know him.....

BrooklynBeans.com

I am Adiel's Advocate.

#19 Guest_Melech_*

Guest_Melech_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2009 - 05:14 AM

#20 agent220

agent220

Mommy

• Members
  • 7,142 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 08:54 AM

Interesting that Rabbi Kurcfeld is in charge of the women's one.

Oh, never mind. I understand, actually.
When you try to make a statement, all you're really doing is raising questions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users