• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 rachel b.

rachel b.

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 02:46 PM

תענית כא:- אמרו ליה לרב יהודה: איכא מותנא בחזירי! גזר תעניתא. נימא קסבר רב יהודה 'מכה משולחת ממין אחד משולחת מכל המינין'? לא, שאני חזירי, דדמיין מעייהו לבני אינשי (בני מעיין שלהן, שאין להן כרס הפנימי כשאר בהמה). Ta'anit 21b- They told Rav Yehudah, "There is a disease amongst the swine". He decreed a fast. Does this mean that he holds that rampant diseases amongst one species spread to others? No, it was because humans have similar anatomy to pigs and are likely to suffer from the same diseases

What would a fast accomplish? They're not eating swine anyway.

#2 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 02:48 PM

It's called Tscuva. Repentance.

Pinchas is right - micha

For the record, IRL he is a really nice guy! - HappyDuck, Z"L

#3 rachel b.

rachel b.

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 02:50 PM

As a preventative measure?

Throw out your Kleenex, stay home if you're sick, and do tshuva.

#4 Kalashnikover_Rebbe

Kalashnikover_Rebbe

fine, nice looking, batampte Ben Torah

• Members
  • 26,049 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 03:01 PM

Who said anything about EATING??? And you don't even get swine flu from eating pork (if its cooked)....

Fasting (davening and teshuva) is always the front line Jewish response to any impending tragedy or tzar that is affecting the Jewish community.....

If G-d is sending a magefa to the world r"l, He's obviously upset about something, and it behooves us to get back in good favor ASAP.....
[/flirting]

#5 NotYetKadosh

NotYetKadosh

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 02:11 AM

I think it refers to trichinosis, either way its still amazing how during the times of the gemara they knew that the inner system of pigs is very similar to humans

western though only figured that out in the past 40 yrs...

#6 p_almonius

p_almonius

Minister of silly davening

• Members
  • 4,050 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 06:26 AM

Throw out your Kleenex, stay home if you're sick, and do tshuva.

Posted Image
I am DEMANDING that the Rabbonim start screaming about this.

#7 Xi

Xi

-->

• Banned
  • 6,300 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:33 AM

If G-d is sending a magefa to the world r"l, He's obviously upset about something, and it behooves us to get back in good favor ASAP.....

So if the magefa didn't really affect too many people, and regular magefas (such as the flu) are a lot worse, what does it mean?

[img]

:lol:
Xi is intimidating, in an endearing sort of way. --Gretchen

#8 Kalashnikover_Rebbe

Kalashnikover_Rebbe

fine, nice looking, batampte Ben Torah

• Members
  • 26,049 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 08:53 AM

So if the magefa didn't really affect too many people, and regular magefas (such as the flu) are a lot worse, what does it mean?

That is was a false alarm... That people LOVE to label things "epidemics" and "crises" when in fact they are minor blips on the radar. That it was a warning of what COULD come if we don't shape up? That our prayers worked?? All of those things, or none of them???
[/flirting]

#9 RebPropagandist

RebPropagandist

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 3,647 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 10:29 AM

I think it refers to trichinosis, either way its still amazing how during the times of the gemara they knew that the inner system of pigs is very similar to humans

western though only figured that out in the past 40 yrs...

Aristotle, for one, studied human and pig anatomy nearly 500 years (or so) before the Talmud. [He concludes that the pig is most similar, I can't find the exact source though, sorry.]
"Shake off all the fears and servile prejudices under which weak minds are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear." --Thomas Jefferson to Peter Carr, 1787

"How could you have a slogan like "freedom is slavery" when the concept of freedom has been abolished? The whole climate of thought will be different. In fact there will be no thought, as we understand it now. Orthodoxy means not thinking—not needing to think. Orthodoxy is unconsciousness."
- From 1984
שויתי יהוה לנגדי תמיד
Sentimentality is the emotional promiscuity of those who have no sentiment.---Norman Mailer

#10 Xi

Xi

-->

• Banned
  • 6,300 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 10:33 AM

That is was a false alarm... That people LOVE to label things "epidemics" and "crises" when in fact they are minor blips on the radar. That it was a warning of what COULD come if we don't shape up? That our prayers worked?? All of those things, or none of them???

OK.
Xi is intimidating, in an endearing sort of way. --Gretchen

#11 NotYetKadosh

NotYetKadosh

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 10:59 PM

Aristotle, for one, studied human and pig anatomy nearly 500 years (or so) before the Talmud. [He concludes that the pig is most similar, I can't find the exact source though, sorry.]

i just no in a medical sense they didnt teach medicine/practice on pigs until recently.. [during stages before they used human corpses]

#12 RebPropagandist

RebPropagandist

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 3,647 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 11:25 PM

i just no in a medical sense they didnt teach medicine/practice on pigs until recently.. [during stages before they used human corpses]

does this change what I said?
"Shake off all the fears and servile prejudices under which weak minds are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear." --Thomas Jefferson to Peter Carr, 1787

"How could you have a slogan like "freedom is slavery" when the concept of freedom has been abolished? The whole climate of thought will be different. In fact there will be no thought, as we understand it now. Orthodoxy means not thinking—not needing to think. Orthodoxy is unconsciousness."
- From 1984
שויתי יהוה לנגדי תמיד
Sentimentality is the emotional promiscuity of those who have no sentiment.---Norman Mailer

#13 politico

politico

• Banned
  • 11,413 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 12:35 AM

:blink:
zinh.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users