• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Amber

Amber

ABG

• Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 12:19 PM

Please post recipes in the format that we've agreed upon below. If you have any more ideas or comments feel free to vocalize. :)

-Recipe Name- (Milchigs, fleishigs, pareve)

Prep time:
Cook time:

Ingredients:

C.
Tbsp
tsp
1/2, 1/4, 2/3, 3/4 etc.
lb.
oz.

Directions:

Write step by step.
Don't assume anyone knows anything.

Serves:
Pic:

Your (Screen)Name and link.

#2 Guest_Melech_*

Guest_Melech_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2009 - 09:43 AM

#3 Amber

Amber

ABG

• Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 08:33 AM

Butternut Squash soup- milchig

1 (3 lb) butternut squash
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 medium white onion
5 stalks celery
2 tbsp. butter
1 quart chicken stock (use the pareve consomme prepared according to directions, or use veg stock...i like the chicken better)
1 cup heavy cream
Sat and pepper to taste
4 crostini rounds (optional)
2 oz. goat cheese (optional)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Peel, seed and cut butternut squash into cubes, approx. 1″. Toss with olive oil, salt, pepper, cinnamon and nutmeg. Place squash on baking sheet and roast for 30-40 minutes until fork-tender Meanwhile, dice onion and celery and saute in butter until soft, about 5 minutes. Add roasted squash to saute pan and pour in chicken stock to cover veggies. Cover pan and bring to boil. Once liquid is boiling, uncover and reduce. Puree in a blender or food processor, adding heavy cream, and additional salt and pepper to taste. Reheat and serve.

Optional: Sprinkle nutmeg on individual servings, if desired. If you’re serving it with the crostini, shmear the goat cheese onto the crostini and then float on top of soup (really good and makes a great presentation for company). Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 days, and it freezes really well.

(Will post a pic next time I make it.)

Shuli
http://www.hashkafah...&...t&p=1302850

#4 justbatya

justbatya

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 12:20 PM

-Hungarian Sour Cherry Soup- (pareve)

Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes

2 jars/cans pitted sour cherries w/juice
6 cups water or more
1 tsp. vanilla extract OR 1 tbsp. vanilla sugar or a vanilla pod (remove after cooking)
1/2 to 1 cup sugar
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 or 3 eggs, whites only OR cornstarch to thicken

Directions:

Boil water, add cherries, vanilla, lemon juice and sugar. Boil until cherries are very soft and water is deep red, no more than 30 mins.

To thicken (after cooking): tradtional way w/egg whites-- which the egg whites into a bowl, and spoon in soup one spoonful at a time, whisking very fast. Egg will become slowly incorporated into soup-- you don't want bits of cooked egg, so don't rush it! When soup and egg are combined, add back into pot. (egg will settle at bottom, stir before serving).

Or stir in cornstarch mixed with cold water, one tsp. at a time.

H.com link: http://www.hashkafah...amp;mode=linear
Serves: 12

batya_d

My poor SO still thinks that a Batya is a what, and not a who.

Soda-Club Home Soda Makers
Blog-o-rama

#5 justbatya

justbatya

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 04:58 PM

-Chinese Chicken and Corn soup- (fleishig or pareve)

Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes

Ingredients:

4 cups water
1 can creamed corn
chicken soup mix
egg noodles
1 egg
boneless chicken breast, cut into small pieces (optional)
corn starch (optional)

Directions:

Bring water (with chicken soup mix dissolved into it) and 1 can creamed corn to as boil.

After the soup starts boiling, add noodles, and then scramble an egg and drop it into the soup while stirring vigorously. You can add some corn starch if you want a thicker consistency. You can also add chicken at this point.

H.com link: http://www.hashkafah...t....html&st=40
Serves: 4
Pic:

BroadwayFreak

Blog-o-rama

#6 FYI

FYI

Naive or Clueless?

• Members
  • 16,184 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 11:09 AM

-Weight Watchers Soup- (Parve)

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour

Ingredients:
2 16 ounce cans of tomato soup
2 16 ounce cans water (use empty tomato soup cans)
1 package frozen spinach
2 packages split pea soup mix
Garlic cloves
salt
pepper
Assorted vegetables
Noodles (optional, adds a point)

Directions:
Put all ingredients in a pot. Bring to a boil. Simmer on medium flame for about an hour.

Serves:
Pic:

H.com link: http://www.hashkafah...&...st&p=628596

pleats
Many people wish they could change their life, when all they really need to do is change their attitude towards life. - Sharon

#7 FYI

FYI

Naive or Clueless?

• Members
  • 16,184 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 11:16 AM

-Chicken Soup- (Fleishigs)

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1.5 + hours

Ingredients:
1 chicken, cut into 1/8s
2 stalks celery
5-6 carrots cut into chunks
1 parsnip
1 bunch dill
Salt to taste

Directions:
Put all ingredients in a pot. Fill remainder of pot with water, bring to a boil. allow to simmer at least 1.5 hours.

[Comments:] You can add more vegetables, ie onions, sweet potatoes, turnips, etc. I'm also probably forgetting something, but...

Serves:
Pic:

H.com link: http://www.hashkafah...&...st&p=602728

pleats
Many people wish they could change their life, when all they really need to do is change their attitude towards life. - Sharon

#8 FYI

FYI

Naive or Clueless?

• Members
  • 16,184 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 11:41 AM

-Chinese Corn Soup- (Parve)

Prep Time:
Cook Time:

Ingredients:
A few cups of water
Cchicken soup mix
2 cans of cream cor
Thin egg noodles
Eggs
A little bit of corn starch mixed with water
Cut up chicken (optional)

Directions:
Boil a few cups of water, add chicken soup mix to it. Dump two cans of cream corn in, add some thin egg noodles. Beat some eggs and drop it in, and add a little bit of corn starch mixed with water. Add in chicken, if you want.

Serves:
Pic:

H.com link: http://www.hashkafah...&...st&p=602831

BroadwayFreak

#9 FYI

FYI

Naive or Clueless?

• Members
  • 16,184 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 11:50 AM

-French Onion Soup- (Fleishigs or Parve)

Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes

Ingredients:
3 lbs onions, peeled and sliced thin
4 Tbsp oil (or 3 Tbsp butter and 1 Tbsp oil for milchigs)
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp sugar
2 quarts hot beef or vegetable stock
1/2 cup dry white wine
Salt
Pepper
1 shot cognac (optional)

Directions:
Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the onions and cook covered on low heat for 15 minutes. Uncover, turn the heat to medium, and stir in the salt and sugar.

Cook, stirring frequently, until the onions have turned an even, deep brown (the trick is to get them very brown but not at all burnt).

Add the stock and wine, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook partly covered on low heat 40 minutes or longer. (You're supposed to add a shot of cognac at the end; I never do.)

[Comments:] I make fantastic French onion soup but you need homemade beef stock (if you're addicted to the cheese you can use veggie stock instead but I prefer stronger soup). Really, don't use canned, in a soup this simple you can taste it. I like loads of onions in my soup; in fact I've probably used 4 lbs or more sometimes and made my husband complain; this is more moderate. smile.gif

[Serving Suggestions:]
Serve with slices of French bread that have been dried in the oven. For soup au gratin, place the croute in the bowl (heatproof!), ladle the soup over, top with grated cheese (Gruyere with a bit of Parmesan is traditional; lots of American restaurants add mozzerella for the gooey effect) and place in a hot oven to melt the cheese.

Serves:
Pic:

H.com link: http://www.hashkafah...&...st&p=603339

NY-LON

#10 FYI

FYI

Naive or Clueless?

• Members
  • 16,184 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 11:54 AM

-Kneidlach- (Parve)

Prep Time: 2 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes

Ingredients:
1 cup matzo meal
4 eggs
4 Tbsp margarine (melted)
5 Tbsp soup
Salt

Directions:
Mix together, cool in fridge for about 1/2 an hour. Form balls, add to soup while simmering, allow at least 30 minutes to cook.

Serves:
Pic:

H.com link: http://www.hashkafah...&...st&p=602728

pleats

#11 agent220

agent220

Mommy

• Members
  • 7,142 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 11:58 AM

I do the same as pleats, but with oil instead of margarine...my mother uses no oil and it works fine, but I find it mixes smoother with it.
When you try to make a statement, all you're really doing is raising questions.

#12 FYI

FYI

Naive or Clueless?

• Members
  • 16,184 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 12:17 PM

-Beef Stock- (Fleishigs)

Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 4+ hours

Ingredients:
4-5 lbs beef and bones (soup bones plus a big piece of shank or shin--whatever tough meat the butcher has going cheap)
2 onions, quartered
2 carrots, scrubbed and quartered
2 celery stalks
2 garlic cloves
1/4 tsp thyme
2 cloves
6 parsley sprigs
1 bay leaf
6 peppercorns
2 tsp salt

Directions:
Heat the oven to 450ºF.

Arrange the bones, meat, onions, and carrots in a shallow roasting pan. Roast 30 mins, turning occasionally. Remove the meat and vegetables and place in a stock pot. Pour off the fat.

Put garlic, thyme, cloves, parsley, bay leaf and peppercorns into a cheesecloth before adding to pot. (or be lazy like me, forget the cheesecloth and remember to make sure you get the peppercorns out)

Put the roasting tin over medium heat, add a cup of hot water, bring to the boil and scrape all the browned bits off the bottom. Pour over the meat. Add the celery, herbs, and salt. Cover with cold water, bring just to the boil (more of a "really active simmer" than a full boil). Skim any scum.

Simmer over low heat 4 hours or more. Strain. Chill overnight to bring the fat to the top.

[Comments:] Shamelessly borrowed from Julia Child) (this may seem like a lot of extra work, but isn't really as it cooks by itself--and can be made in job lots and frozen.

Serves:
Pic:

H.com link: http://www.hashkafah...&...st&p=603339
NY-LON

#13 FYI

FYI

Naive or Clueless?

• Members
  • 16,184 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 12:24 PM

-Corn/Roasted Pepper Soup- (Parve)

Prep Time:
Cook Time:

Ingredients:
1 bag of Frozen corn kernels or 5 cans of corn (i always use can because it's so cheap)
1 pablano chile
1 red pepper
2 box natural (less sodium) veggie stock
1 to 2 C. soy milk

Directions:
Roast chile and pepper with a little olive oil so that it gets kind of crispy. Cut it up into bite sized chunks.
Boil chile, pepper, and corn in the stock.
Puree using food processor, blender, or one of those nifty hand processor thingies.
Add salt and pepper, and soy milk to taste so its CREAMY and delicious.

Serves:
Pic:

H.com link: http://www.hashkafah...&...st&p=628560
Penina

#14 justbatya

justbatya

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 03:32 PM

Agent, I had already posted BF's chicken corn soup-- if you think yours is formatted better, I'll delete mine.

It's an awesome soup, isn't it? It deserves 2 postings :)

Blog-o-rama

#15 agent220

agent220

Mommy

• Members
  • 7,142 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 03:38 PM

Agent, I had already posted BF's chicken corn soup-- if you think yours is formatted better, I'll delete mine.

I think you meant to address this to FYI :)
When you try to make a statement, all you're really doing is raising questions.

#16 FYI

FYI

Naive or Clueless?

• Members
  • 16,184 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 03:43 PM

woopsies..sorry I'm just going in order and not really double-checking. I'm at page 27 of 29, and moving forward.

#17 Guest_Shuli_*

Guest_Shuli_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2009 - 03:43 PM

#18 justbatya

justbatya

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 04:12 PM

She posted the pareve version.

Aren't many, if not most, of the chicken soup mixes Fleishig? That's why I made it fleishig in the title, but I can edit.

Blog-o-rama

#19 Guest_Shuli_*

Guest_Shuli_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2009 - 04:25 PM

#20 pleats

pleats

Rebbetzin Doctor

• Members
  • 3,649 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 08:14 AM