Photo

Do Jewish Orthodox people practice polygamy?

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#1 seekinganswers

seekinganswers

Gabbai

• Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 01:36 PM

Hello,

I'm curious about this, because there are various men in the Tanach that have mulitiple wives... King David, King Solomon, Hannah's husband, Jacob (Israel) ...

Was Abraham considered polygamist? Did he marry Hagar, Sarah's servant, or did she just become a concubine?

Is a concubine more like a wife but less like a wife?

If you are a man, would you consider marrying more than one woman? Have you? (at the same time)
If you are a woman, would you consider sharing a husband? (Have you?)

I don't mean any offense. I am just curious.

Thanks. Peace and God bless.
"6 Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD. {S} Hallelujah. {P}" - http://www.mechon-ma...e/et/et26f0.htm

#2 Kalashnikover_Rebbe

Kalashnikover_Rebbe

fine, nice looking, batampte Ben Torah

• Members
  • 26,049 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 01:47 PM

It's rare today, and is illegal in most Western countries.....
Though it WAS practiced until modern times in some communities...
[/flirting]

#3 seekinganswers

seekinganswers

Gabbai

• Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 02:18 PM

It's rare today, and is illegal in most Western countries.....
Though it WAS practiced until modern times in some communities...

Oh yeah, I forgot it was illegal here.

Is it illegal in Israel?
"6 Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD. {S} Hallelujah. {P}" - http://www.mechon-ma...e/et/et26f0.htm

#4 Savannah

Savannah

~*~ pixie smile ~*~

• Members
  • 20,505 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 02:32 PM

Is it illegal in Israel?

Yes. Though apparently they have turned a blind eye to some Sephardim who may have moved to Israel with more than one wife.

#5 Moshi

Moshi

Little Reb Sunshine

• Members
  • 21,046 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 02:42 PM

Would polygamy hurt or help the shidduch crisis?
The L-rd may not come when you call, but He's always on time. -Lemon Andersen

Kabel et ha-emet mi-mi she-omro.

"All is by the hand of Heaven, except colds and fevers" -Ketubot 30a.

~My Blog~

#6 seekinganswers

seekinganswers

Gabbai

• Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 02:43 PM

What's the shidduch crisis?

#7 Moshi

Moshi

Little Reb Sunshine

• Members
  • 21,046 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 02:44 PM

What's the shidduch crisis?

Apparently there's a crisis of many single people not finding suitable partners to marry.
The L-rd may not come when you call, but He's always on time. -Lemon Andersen

Kabel et ha-emet mi-mi she-omro.

"All is by the hand of Heaven, except colds and fevers" -Ketubot 30a.

~My Blog~

#8 seekinganswers

seekinganswers

Gabbai

• Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 02:53 PM

Apparently there's a crisis of many single people not finding suitable partners to marry.

Ahhh. yeah you know I have noticed that, not within the Jewish Orthodox community since the only real contact I have with Jewish Orthodox people is this forum, but in my community.

The reason it seems to me is that many guys who are not married just seem more interested in playing around, like you know, not getting married but dating as many girls as possible. Maybe that's not accurate, but that's how it seems in my community.

I would think that in Jewish Orthodox communities, it would be easier to find a mate, yeah? Because marriage is important and it's not so acceptable to "play around", right?

But I get what you're saying. There are actually 2 or 3 guys who are awesome men in my community, who I bet many ladies would tolerate "sharing" if polygamy was legal and acceptable and common in my culture.

#9 The Rabbi

The Rabbi

Merchant of Death

• Members
  • 4,160 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 02:57 PM

I keep trying to convince my wife that polygamy is a great idea and our family name is really an old Yemenite name. She isn't buying any.
www.eastsidegunshop.com

"That Obama's a piece of ####. And I told him to suck on my machine gun." -Ted Nugent.

#10 Savannah

Savannah

~*~ pixie smile ~*~

• Members
  • 20,505 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 02:59 PM

Help. Definitely.

#11 seekinganswers

seekinganswers

Gabbai

• Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 03:00 PM

I keep trying to convince my wife that polygamy is a great idea and our family name is really an old Yemenite name. She isn't buying any.

Lol, that's funny!!! :)

Yeah I think guys are more embracing of the idea than women are. I wonder why... :p

Rabbi, I have a question on the politics thread if about sueing medical institutions that I'd like your opinion please.

#12 Savannah

Savannah

~*~ pixie smile ~*~

• Members
  • 20,505 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 03:01 PM

I think that polygamy is a lot tougher on a guy than guys imagine. He has to be able to treat them equally, support them equally, give them equal time, etc.

Can you imagine twice the nagging?

#13 seekinganswers

seekinganswers

Gabbai

• Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 03:06 PM

I think that polygamy is a lot tougher on a guy than guys imagine. He has to be able to treat them equally, support them equally, give them equal time, etc.

True! And the moods and the shopping and the chick flicks and in-laws!!! Poor guy! :)

#14 Xi

Xi

-->

• Banned
  • 6,300 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 04:19 PM

True! And the moods and the shopping and the chick flicks and in-laws!!! Poor guy! :)

And imagine if he's chassidish. His parents would have to spend twice the money on fancy jewelry and fruit platters (during the engagement).

It would definitely help if both sexes could polygamize.

Imagine the frum economics. One wife could be a SAHM while the other could be a teacher, allowing the husband to be a f/t kollel guy without even having to waste time taking care of the children when wife has to be at work. Amazing stuff.
Xi is intimidating, in an endearing sort of way. --Gretchen

#15 Aviva

Aviva

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 04:31 PM

I used to know a guy who wanted to be a polygamist (maybe he still does). He thought it was the greatest idea in the world, so I said to him, "If you can't handle one girl, how are you going to handle multiple girls?" (And he wanted 100 wives. :rolleyes:)
"Intimacy is being seen and known as the person you truly are." -Amy Bloom
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn't it." -Groucho Marx
"I'd rather be hated for who I am than be loved for who I'm not." -Kurt Cobain
"Until you make peace with who you are, you'll never be content with what you have." -Doris Mortman
"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye." -Antoine de Saint-Exupery

#16 Kalashnikover_Rebbe

Kalashnikover_Rebbe

• Members
  • 26,049 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 04:39 PM

Imagine the frum economics. One wife could be a SAHM while the other could be a teacher, allowing the husband to be a f/t kollel guy without even having to waste time taking care of the children when wife has to be at work. Amazing stuff.

:wub:
But why not maximize efficiency, have 3 working wives, 1 SAHM and they can even rotate......
[/flirting]

#17 Xi

Xi

-->

• Banned
  • 6,300 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 04:46 PM

:wub:

Awwwwww.

But why not maximize efficiency, have 3 working wives, 1 SAHM and they can even rotate......

Because there can't possibly be enough teaching and frummy office jobs for all of them...
Xi is intimidating, in an endearing sort of way. --Gretchen

#18 Spiffy

Spiffy

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,007 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 04:47 PM

Made me think of this:

DON PEDRO

Will you have me, lady?

BEATRICE

No, my lord, unless I might have another for
working-days: your grace is too costly to wear
every day.

A Jew without good middos is simply incomplete...

Every age is modern to those that live in it

How do you feel when there's no sun? And how will you be when rain clouds come and pull you down again?

Mmmmm, whatcha say?

#19 Kalashnikover_Rebbe

Kalashnikover_Rebbe

• Members
  • 26,049 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 04:51 PM

Because there can't possibly be enough teaching and frummy office jobs for all of them...

There wouldn't NEED to be...... With 3/4 of the chick world working, they could even get real jobs, or have one go to school 2 work and 1 tend to the babbys.....

Besides all the men would be out of the workforce so the chicks would have to pick up the slack....
[/flirting]

#20 Belle

Belle

anomaly

• Members
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 05:02 PM

A masculine utopia. :bad:
"Belle has the right of it" - Shemmy

"i have come to believe that belle is closer to the truth" - Snag

"Belle is, of course, right." - Razie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users