19 replies to this topic

#1 Dan

Dan

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 05:43 AM

Spyware/Malware/Adware Removal Guide
I decided I'd put together a little guide for anyone that may need it. It will be split into two sections, the first on removing a current issue, the second on staying clean. Good Luck!
Last Updated: March 28th, 2011
------

Section 1 - Removal

Follow the following steps, and post back with the MalwareBytes and HijackThis log (a privacy notice - the logs may show the Windows Username of user)
  • Clean up all the junk, therefore saving time on the scans.

• Download and Install CCleaner - Link 1 || Link 2 (for installation instructions, see end of post)
    • Run the program. It will start with the "Cleaner" (on the left), under the Windows Tab (see attached pic). Check what you'd like to be cleaned (for my recommendation - see attached pic).
    • Before hitting "Run Cleaner", go to the "Applications" tab (on top, next to "Windows" tab) and make sure its not removing anything you want to keep (the programs on that list aren't being removed, rather the temp files *of* those programs). If you aren't sure about the Applications tab, you can just un-check everything.
    • Hit "Run Cleaner" (bottom right).

• Malwarebytes AntiMalware

The process of cleaning your computer may require you to temporarily disable some security programs. If you are using SpyBot Search and Destroy, please refer to Note 2 at the bottom of this page.

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
    alternate download link 1
    alternate download link 2

• Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
    • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
    • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
    • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
      • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
      • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Then click Finish.
    MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
    • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself.
    • Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
    • If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
    On the Scanner tab:
    • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
    • Then click on the Scan button.
    • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
    • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
    • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
    • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
    Back at the main Scanner screen:
    • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
    • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
    • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
    • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
    • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply (or PM it to me, as it may show some private information) and exit MBAM.
    Note:
    -- If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

Note 2:
    -- MBAM may make changes to your registry as part of its disinfection routine. If you're using other security programs that detect registry changes (like Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere with the fix or alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please disable such programs until disinfection is complete or permit them to allow the changes. To disable these programs, please view this topic: How To Temporarily Disable Your Anti-virus, Firewall And Anti-malware Programs

When finished, be sure to re-enable your AV and malware scan tools if they were disabled

• This is usually unnecessary, but just in case: Spybot Search & Destroy - see this.

That's it for the removal! I hope your computer is back to normal (or better then that)! Just to make sure all's clean, do this last step:
  • HijackThis

• Download and Install HijackThis
    • Run it, and click "Do a System Scan and Save a Logfile (example)
    • Post the logfile here (or PM it to me, as it may show some private information). I will try to respond as soon as I can.

Done!
------------------------------------------

Section 2 - Staying Clean
  • Antivirus
    I'm going to list two AVs here, though there are plenty of others. For those who are somewhat knowledgable in regards to keeping safe, and have a low-risk of getting a virus, go for the Microsoft one; otherwise go for Avast.
  • Browser
    A browser is the program that is used to view web pages. Try staying away from Internet Explorer, it is targeted the most. The two I'd recommend are Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome. I personally use Firefox as I've had problems with the way Chrome renders pages.
    • Mozilla Firefox with Adblock Plus (click on this link while running Firefox). When you restart Firefox after installing adblock, choose the "Fanboys List" or the "Easylist".
    • Google Chrome with Adblock Plus (click on this link while running Chrome. If link is bad just go here, and it's usually on top). Choose the "Fanboys List" or the "Easylist".
------------------------------------------

Feel free to post with any questions or comments!

Attached Files

כלל זה יהא נקוט בידך: מי שאינו רואה את המקום [=ה'] בכל מקום, אינו רואה בשום מקום
איפה נמצא אלוקים? בכל מקום שנותנים לו להיכנס
-Kotzker

נישט אלעס וואס מען טראכט דארף מען זאגען, נישט אלעס וואס מען זאגט דארף מען שרייבען, נישט אלעס וואס מען שרייבט דארף מען דרוקען און נישט אלעס וואס מען דרוקט דארף מען ליינען!
-R' Salanter

יש בן חורין שרוחו רוח של עבד, ויש עבד שרוחו מלאה חירות; הנאמן לעצמיותו – בן חורין הוא, ומי שכל חייו הם רק במה שטוב ויפה בעיני אחרים – הוא עבד
-R' Kook

#2 cynic

cynic

Godol Hador

• Banned
  • 6,642 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 10:47 AM

I recently got rid of AVG and I am now using the Panda online version. Seems to be good, so far.

#3 Dan

Dan

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 11:25 AM

I recently got rid of AVG and I am now using the Panda online version. Seems to be good, so far.

I've read some great reviews of Panda.. even malware-wise. *But*, if someone were already infected (which is what I'm assuming in the OP), then its not necessarily going to help, as some malware/virii block specific programs from accessing the internet.. and Panda's entire virus defs database is web-based (definitely before the first full scan).
כלל זה יהא נקוט בידך: מי שאינו רואה את המקום [=ה'] בכל מקום, אינו רואה בשום מקום
-Kotzker

נישט אלעס וואס מען טראכט דארף מען זאגען, נישט אלעס וואס מען זאגט דארף מען שרייבען, נישט אלעס וואס מען שרייבט דארף מען דרוקען און נישט אלעס וואס מען דרוקט דארף מען ליינען!
-R' Salanter

יש בן חורין שרוחו רוח של עבד, ויש עבד שרוחו מלאה חירות; הנאמן לעצמיותו – בן חורין הוא, ומי שכל חייו הם רק במה שטוב ויפה בעיני אחרים – הוא עבד
-R' Kook

#4 cynic

cynic

Godol Hador

• Banned
  • 6,642 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 07:06 PM

I've read some great reviews of Panda.. even malware-wise. *But*, if someone were already infected (which is what I'm assuming in the OP), then its not necessarily going to help, as some malware/virii block specific programs from accessing the internet.. and Panda's entire virus defs database is web-based (definitely before the first full scan).

That is what I read in the reviews as well. Clean up your system before installing it. I think it was PCMag that rated it the best free program.

#5 aishel

aishel

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 09:41 PM

Windows Security Essentials seems to be doing a great job.

#6 Dan

Dan

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 10:19 PM

Windows Security Essentials seems to be doing a great job.

http://www.pcmag.com...,2353699,00.asp
-Kotzker

-R' Salanter

-R' Kook

#7 Hezakiah

Hezakiah

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 10:49 AM

Just before Shabbos, I got hit with something that blocked all exe files (AVG,Malwarebytes,ect,ect) and kept popping up "Your computer is infected" over and over,layer after layer.

Seeing that I never throw anything out, I took an old 8 gig hard drive off the shelf,pulled my 120 gig drive out, installed Win XP, AVG, and Malwarebytes on the 8 gig and set it as a master drive. I then set my normal drive as a slave and ran the Malwarebytes and AVG to clean it up.Pulled the eight and stuck the 120 back in.Since there is only one drive in there now, the slave works as a master. If it gets infected again,I just have to stick in the 8 again,update the virus and malware files and fix it.

It was a "False Trogen Alert" ,two of them on there BTW. This is the second time I got one of those trying to sell me whatever anti-virus they were hawking. Setting up an emergency hard drive stops this cyber-blackmail cold.

BTW, you can download all kinds of anti-virus ,malware and spyware protection at WWW.filehippo.com. There is also lots of other usefull programs there like Open Office, audio and video programs,ect. It's all freeware, shareware and trial progs and the site is clean.
You don't have to lose your personality to become shomer mitzvot

#8 Dan

Dan

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 05:52 PM

It was a "False Trogen Alert" ,two of them on there BTW. This is the second time I got one of those trying to sell me whatever anti-virus they were hawking. Setting up an emergency hard drive stops this cyber-blackmail cold.

BTW, you can download all kinds of anti-virus ,malware and spyware protection at WWW.filehippo.com. There is also lots of other usefull programs there like Open Office, audio and video programs,ect. It's all freeware, shareware and trial progs and the site is clean.

Nice post. Two points: 1. If you were using Firefox - I can't understand how you got the False Trojan in the first place (as it sounds like you have a decent amount of computer knowledge); 2. FH is great - I even linked to them in the OP for some of the apps :)
-Kotzker

-R' Salanter

-R' Kook

#9 ookamikun

ookamikun

Abu Suleiman

• Members
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 11:50 PM

Don't forget about combofix.

If you're unable to delete malware/virus dlls from system32, download and burn ubuntu, boot into trial and you'll be able to get rid of them without any problems.

If your computer is in serious trouble, you can use minipe. It's a bootable mini os with antivirus tools, registry editors and more. I used it to get rid of a virut infection.
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't
blog.ookamikun.com
@ookamikun

Jury Duty
Just because it's spellchecked, doesn't mean it's correct.

#10 Dan

Dan

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 10:31 AM

Don't forget about combofix.

If you're unable to delete malware/virus dlls from system32, download and burn ubuntu, boot into trial and you'll be able to get rid of them without any problems.

If your computer is in serious trouble, you can use minipe. It's a bootable mini os with antivirus tools, registry editors and more. I used it to get rid of a virut infection.

Thanks! I didn't want to post about Combofix as an initial fix.. if things got to that stage I would've mentioned it (or mentioned going to bp). Regarding removing sys32 files - no reason to boot a whole OS! Killbox or the like can delete on reboot. Can you give more details on MiniPE? I've used UBCD4WIN (uses BartPE) before, but never heard of MiniPE.
-Kotzker

-R' Salanter

-R' Kook

#11 ookamikun

ookamikun

Abu Suleiman

• Members
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 10:51 AM

Thanks! I didn't want to post about Combofix as an initial fix.. if things got to that stage I would've mentioned it (or mentioned going to bp). Regarding removing sys32 files - no reason to boot a whole OS! Killbox or the like can delete on reboot. Can you give more details on MiniPE? I've used UBCD4WIN (uses BartPE) before, but never heard of MiniPE.

Killbox is only effective against regular viruses/malware. If a virus appends an init string to the end of a system file or is able to set itself as a high priority system object, neither killbox nor safe mode will help you.

MiniPE is a bootable OS with a lot of toys. Several different AV soft, backup, ghosting, registry editors, file editors, etc. While it's loaded, you can also run some soft from a usb drive. I think mbam works with it.
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't
blog.ookamikun.com
@ookamikun

Jury Duty

#12 Dan

Dan

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 10:59 AM

Killbox is only effective against regular viruses/malware. If a virus appends an init string to the end of a system file or is able to set itself as a high priority system object, neither killbox nor safe mode will help you.

Didn't realize you were discussing such an extreme case. Though I still don't understand why you need to download a full linux package; a small bootcd should do the job.. that's probably what you meant.

MiniPE is a bootable OS with a lot of toys. Several different AV soft, backup, ghosting, registry editors, file editors, etc. While it's loaded, you can also run some soft from a usb drive. I think mbam works with it.

Very interesting.. maybe I'll try it right now..
-Kotzker

-R' Salanter

-R' Kook

#13 ookamikun

ookamikun

Abu Suleiman

• Members
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 11:06 AM

Didn't realize you were discussing such an extreme case. Though I still don't understand why you need to download a full linux package; a small bootcd should do the job.. that's probably what you meant.

I think I had a problem with windows based boot cd too.

It's good to have Ubuntu on cd anyway. You can use it to move files between a Mac and an NTFS external drive. And no worries of permission/ownership issues.
blog.ookamikun.com
@ookamikun

Jury Duty

#14 Dan

Dan

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 12:44 PM

I think I had a problem with windows based boot cd too.

It's good to have Ubuntu on cd anyway. You can use it to move files between a Mac and an NTFS external drive. And no worries of permission/ownership issues.

Yeah, some computers won't boot with he UBCD4WIN i've made.. I'm not sure why. Otherwise I only use linux-based live cds.. Maybe I'll give MiniPE a try one of these days..
-Kotzker

-R' Salanter

-R' Kook

#15 alonit

alonit

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 10:07 AM

I personally use Microsoft virus scanner. It’s free, you don’t have to download this and removed most of problems I had (which by the way Norton didn’t find).
Microsoft Scanner

#16 Bezalel

Bezalel

Stud muffin

• Members
  • 3,522 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 01:21 AM

I have a problem with my desktop machine. I noticed some "sent e-mails" in my e-mail account that I did not send. I immediately changed the password on the e-mail account in case someone had somehow gained access that way.

I was concerned that someone had taken control of my desktop machine. I have Avast on the machine, which did not show any problems. I loaded Kaspersky and ran a scan, and it reported:

c:\windows\system32\wlanapi.dll/PE_Patch.stolen, containing malicious software suspicious.packer untreated: skipped by user.

I could not delete this file from Windows Explorer, or from a DOS box. I tried changing the file permission and Windows either wouldn't let me or I wasn't smart enough to figure out how to do it.

Using my laptop, I downloaded the Ubuntu image file, burned it onto a CD, and booted my desktop from that. Ubuntu didn't care what file permissions had been set for the file and quickly allowed me to delete it. Yay, Ubuntu.

Kaspersky now shows my system as clean. Is it possible/likely that the dll file is what allowed someone to access my e-mail account to send e-mails?

#17 Dan

Dan

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 10:29 AM

I have a problem with my desktop machine. I noticed some "sent e-mails" in my e-mail account that I did not send. I immediately changed the password on the e-mail account in case someone had somehow gained access that way.

I was concerned that someone had taken control of my desktop machine. I have Avast on the machine, which did not show any problems. I loaded Kaspersky and ran a scan, and it reported:

c:\windows\system32\wlanapi.dll/PE_Patch.stolen, containing malicious software suspicious.packer untreated: skipped by user.

I could not delete this file from Windows Explorer, or from a DOS box. I tried changing the file permission and Windows either wouldn't let me or I wasn't smart enough to figure out how to do it.

Using my laptop, I downloaded the Ubuntu image file, burned it onto a CD, and booted my desktop from that. Ubuntu didn't care what file permissions had been set for the file and quickly allowed me to delete it. Yay, Ubuntu.

Kaspersky now shows my system as clean. Is it possible/likely that the dll file is what allowed someone to access my e-mail account to send e-mails?

Don't think that was it.. it's not even a virus. Seems like a false-positive to me because only Kaspersky gives an issue about it.

Regarding the issue at hand though, did you try the MalwareBytes scan? If not, follow the first 2 steps in the OP (Ccleaner and MB). Very often eamils sent from your email address can have nothing to do with your computer, it can be from anyone that has you in their contact book (and the virus just forges email from random entries).

Post back the Malwarebytes results..
-Kotzker

-R' Salanter

-R' Kook

#18 Bezalel

Bezalel

Stud muffin

• Members
  • 3,522 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 11:50 AM

Don't think that was it.. it's not even a virus. Seems like a false-positive to me because only Kaspersky gives an issue about it.

Regarding the issue at hand though, did you try the MalwareBytes scan? If not, follow the first 2 steps in the OP (Ccleaner and MB). Very often eamils sent from your email address can have nothing to do with your computer, it can be from anyone that has you in their contact book (and the virus just forges email from random entries).

Post back the Malwarebytes results..

The MalwareBytes scan was clear.

I realize that someone can forge a header and make it appear that I sent spam, which would annoy some recipients who thought that it was actually coming from me.

But this was on my AOL account in the "Sent Mail" folder as though I had sent seven e-mails, with each having a number of recipients from my contact book. Wouldn't that indicate that my account had somehow sent such mail?

I have not heard from any of those people telling me that they received spam from me.

Maybe it's an AOL problem and someone hacked their servers.

#19 Dan

Dan

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 12:59 PM

The MalwareBytes scan was clear.

I realize that someone can forge a header and make it appear that I sent spam, which would annoy some recipients who thought that it was actually coming from me.

But this was on my AOL account in the "Sent Mail" folder as though I had sent seven e-mails, with each having a number of recipients from my contact book. Wouldn't that indicate that my account had somehow sent such mail?

I have not heard from any of those people telling me that they received spam from me.

Maybe it's an AOL problem and someone hacked their servers.

Oh, yeah, if its in your sent mail that can be a problem. Make sure, that additionally to changing your password, change your secondary/backup email address (so the "hacker-in-question" can't "recover" your new password).
-Kotzker

-R' Salanter

-R' Kook

#20 Dan

Dan

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 06:05 AM

Bump - I updated OP.
-Kotzker

-R' Salanter

-R' Kook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users