• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 TheDuncePolice

TheDuncePolice

Knows she doesn't know

• Members
  • 12,659 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 03:19 AM

Proud member of the "I don't always wait until I finish reading the thread to respond" club.

Believe me, every heart has its secret sorrows, which the world knows not; and oftentimes we call a man cold when he is only sad. ~ Robert C. Savage

#2 little miss trouble

little miss trouble

Gabbai

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 03:21 AM

The first thing I can think of is if the song tracks are longer?

Ok, I just tried importing a CD, it's gone down automatically from over 600MB to 116 MB - now what does that mean?

#3 Dan

Dan

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 03:36 AM

What are you using to copy music from the original CD to PC? Check the encoding/ripping configuration.

Edit:
IIRC, you're a Mac user. Check these settings: Posted Image
כלל זה יהא נקוט בידך: מי שאינו רואה את המקום [=ה'] בכל מקום, אינו רואה בשום מקום
איפה נמצא אלוקים? בכל מקום שנותנים לו להיכנס
-Kotzker

נישט אלעס וואס מען טראכט דארף מען זאגען, נישט אלעס וואס מען זאגט דארף מען שרייבען, נישט אלעס וואס מען שרייבט דארף מען דרוקען און נישט אלעס וואס מען דרוקט דארף מען ליינען!
-R' Salanter

יש בן חורין שרוחו רוח של עבד, ויש עבד שרוחו מלאה חירות; הנאמן לעצמיותו בן חורין הוא, ומי שכל חייו הם רק במה שטוב ויפה בעיני אחרים הוא עבד
-R' Kook

#4 lyric

lyric

grannylicious

• Members
  • 7,872 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 03:50 AM

Dan: I was going to say: make sure the files are encoded to mp3...is that what you mean?
Seen on News Billboard: Osama bin Laden is dead. What Kate was wearing when she heard the news...

#5 Dan

Dan

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 03:55 AM

Dan: I was going to say: make sure the files are encoded to mp3...is that what you mean?

Well, MP3 for the most part is smaller; but I was also interested in the bitrate.
כלל זה יהא נקוט בידך: מי שאינו רואה את המקום [=ה'] בכל מקום, אינו רואה בשום מקום
-Kotzker

נישט אלעס וואס מען טראכט דארף מען זאגען, נישט אלעס וואס מען זאגט דארף מען שרייבען, נישט אלעס וואס מען שרייבט דארף מען דרוקען און נישט אלעס וואס מען דרוקט דארף מען ליינען!
-R' Salanter

יש בן חורין שרוחו רוח של עבד, ויש עבד שרוחו מלאה חירות; הנאמן לעצמיותו בן חורין הוא, ומי שכל חייו הם רק במה שטוב ויפה בעיני אחרים הוא עבד
-R' Kook

#6 Tova

Tova

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 3,230 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 10:40 AM

When you rip the CDs you can change the file size (quality) when converting to MP3
So little room, so much to say!
The day will come when I will be able to properly and fully express myself in my sig. Today is a sad day.

#7 ookamikun

ookamikun

Abu Suleiman

• Members
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 10:45 AM

You may have bitrate set at 320 or above. 192 is fine.
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't
blog.ookamikun.com
@ookamikun

Jury Duty
Just because it's spellchecked, doesn't mean it's correct.

#8 TheDuncePolice

TheDuncePolice

Knows she doesn't know

• Members
  • 12,659 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 01:20 PM

Proud member of the "I don't always wait until I finish reading the thread to respond" club.

Believe me, every heart has its secret sorrows, which the world knows not; and oftentimes we call a man cold when he is only sad. ~ Robert C. Savage

#9 TheDuncePolice

TheDuncePolice

Knows she doesn't know

• Members
  • 12,659 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 10:28 AM

#10 lyric

lyric

grannylicious

• Members
  • 7,872 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 10:32 AM

Bumping an old thread. If I don't have many of these CD's any longer (scratched, lost), how can I make these files smaller once they're on my computer? They are 45mb instead of 7mb or so.

Thanks

What format are they in? They should be in an mp3 format to be compressed. Otherwise you need some software to convert it from whatever format they are in now. I don't know what the mac uses for big files, like the PC would use a wav. file.
Seen on News Billboard: Osama bin Laden is dead. What Kate was wearing when she heard the news...

#11 TheDuncePolice

TheDuncePolice

Knows she doesn't know

• Members
  • 12,659 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 10:33 AM

#12 lyric

lyric

grannylicious

• Members
  • 7,872 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 10:36 AM

Mp3

Each single song is 45mb???? Or a whole album? On average an mp3 is a mb a minute. I think if they are single songs that you could run them through a converter again and lower the bitrate.

#13 TheDuncePolice

TheDuncePolice

Knows she doesn't know

• Members
  • 12,659 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 10:47 AM

#14 ookamikun

ookamikun

Abu Suleiman

• Members
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 11:29 AM

Yes, each song.

Are they all 320?
Did you use something which uses LAME and rip at 640?
LAME list free soft on their site which you can use to rip/convert.
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't
blog.ookamikun.com
@ookamikun

Jury Duty
Just because it's spellchecked, doesn't mean it's correct.

#15 TheDuncePolice

TheDuncePolice

Knows she doesn't know

• Members
  • 12,659 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 06:00 PM

#16 Xi

Xi

-->

• Banned
  • 6,300 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 06:01 PM

This is weird. I just checked and see that many of them are .aiff, not mp3. Hm.

I think you can convert them to mp3 in iTunes.
Xi is intimidating, in an endearing sort of way. --Gretchen

#17 Kalashnikover_Rebbe

Kalashnikover_Rebbe

fine, nice looking, batampte Ben Torah

• Members
  • 26,049 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 06:06 PM

aiff is (usually) a CD audio file..
[/flirting]

#18 TheDuncePolice

TheDuncePolice

Knows she doesn't know

• Members
  • 12,659 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 09:10 PM

#19 TheDuncePolice

TheDuncePolice

Knows she doesn't know

• Members
  • 12,659 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 12:46 AM

#20 Dan

Dan

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:36 AM

Can anyone tell me if this is what I need to choose for my iPad settings on iTunes updates?

Conver higher bitrate songs to 128kbps AAC

Shkoyech

That may help.
Also see http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1473#1 and http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1550
-Kotzker

-R' Salanter

-R' Kook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users