Photo

Is DNA mentioned in the Book of Genesis?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Glassman96

Glassman96

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 11:17 PM

I'm asking because if I take the word "rib" and look it up in the Hebrew dictionary it reads: tsal'ah - a rib (as curved). I've seen pictures of DNA and it is curved. What I'm thinking is that when God made Eve, he gave her the feminine DNA from Adam and left Adam with the masculine DNA. Does this sound logical?

#2 Rentsy

Rentsy

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 3,005 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 11:36 PM

No.

And I mean that scientifically, in that there is no such thing as "female DNA", men and women are only genetically different by a tiny percentage.

And also, DNA isn't just curved, it is a double helix.

Also, the Torah speaks in the language of the people it was given to.
רמב"ם הלכות תשובה פרק העשירי, הלכה ב

העובד מאהבה - עוסק בתורה ובמצוות והולך במתיבות החוכמה לא מפני דבר בעולם, לא מפני יראת הרעה ולא כדי לירש הטובה, אלא עושה האמת מפני שהוא אמת

הלכה ג

אהבה גדולה יתרה רבה עזה עד מאד, עד שתהא נפשו קשורה באהבת השם ... וכל שיר השירים משל הוא לענין זה

#3 moe says

moe says

very tans

• Members
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 11:41 PM

Also, the Torah speaks in the language of the people it was given to.

the torah also speaks in "tagin" which I think only R' Akiva understood...

dibrah torah b'lashon bnei adam is a way to understand why the Torah would write non-literal things, not a way of restricting all possible understandings of the torah to that which is common language.
יושב בשמים ישחק השׁם ילעג למו

#4 Glassman96

Glassman96

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 12:16 AM

Thank you for the information. Much appreciated.

#5 Guest_Melech_*

Guest_Melech_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2010 - 05:27 AM

#6 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 06:46 AM

Genesis 1:26

The "DNA" Code is found in the phrase: Alokim Na'aseh Adam ("...G-d said let us make Man..."). Begin with the "D" (Daleth) in Adam, and count backwards five letters to the "N" (Noon) in Na'aseh ("...let us make..."). Then from the "N," count five more letters to the "A" in Alokim ("God"

).

כו וַיֹּאמֶר אֱלֹקים, נַעֲשֶׂה אָדָם בְּצַלְמֵנוּ כִּדְמוּתֵנוּ; וְיִרְדּוּ בִדְגַת הַיָּם וּבְעוֹף הַשָּׁמַיִם, וּבַבְּהֵמָה וּבְכָל-הָאָרֶץ, וּבְכָל-הָרֶמֶשׂ, הָרֹמֵשׂ עַל-הָאָרֶץ. 26

And God said: 'Let us make man in our image, after our likeness; and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.'

Pinchas is right - micha

For the record, IRL he is a really nice guy! - HappyDuck, Z"L

#7 Xi

Xi

-->

• Banned
  • 6,300 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 07:07 AM

I'm asking because if I take the word "rib" and look it up in the Hebrew dictionary it reads: tsal'ah - a rib (as curved). I've seen pictures of DNA and it is curved. What I'm thinking is that when God made Eve, he gave her the feminine DNA from Adam and left Adam with the masculine DNA. Does this sound logical?

If anything, the "feminine DNA" is more basic, and the masculine one has the add-ons.
Xi is intimidating, in an endearing sort of way. --Gretchen

#8 Sweet

Sweet

Passionately Ambivalent

• Members
  • 6,949 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 08:40 AM

no
The world has too many stupid people who are full of confidence, and smart people who are full of self-doubt.

#9 Shaina

Shaina

Resident Phlebotomist

• Members
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 08:46 AM

I like you already.
Posted Image

#10 David F

David F

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 09:38 AM

I like you already.

Intuition over logic! :biggrin:

#11 Moshi

Moshi

Little Reb Sunshine

• Members
  • 21,046 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 10:02 AM

Maybe God took some stem cells from the rib bone marrow.
The L-rd may not come when you call, but He's always on time. -Lemon Andersen

Kabel et ha-emet mi-mi she-omro.

"All is by the hand of Heaven, except colds and fevers" -Ketubot 30a.

~My Blog~

#12 Guest_Melech_*

Guest_Melech_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2010 - 10:16 AM

#13 Kalashnikover_Rebbe

Kalashnikover_Rebbe

fine, nice looking, batampte Ben Torah

• Members
  • 26,049 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 10:19 AM

If anything, the "feminine DNA" is more basic, and the masculine one has the add-ons.

Yeah, we come with a much better features package...
[/flirting]

#14 Moshi

Moshi

Little Reb Sunshine

• Members
  • 21,046 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 10:21 AM

Chavah was created from the rib bone?

yes, that's what they say.

~My Blog~

#15 David F

David F

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 10:29 AM

Chavah was created from the rib bone?

Indeed.
The way to a man's heart is through his stomach.

#16 Guest_Melech_*

Guest_Melech_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2010 - 10:31 AM

#17 Snag

Snag

הבל יפצה פי

• Banned
  • 11,108 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 12:08 PM

Maybe God took some stem cells from the rib bone marrow.

no - G-d opposes stem cell research.
"Spiritual wants and instincts are as various in the human family as are physical appetites, complexions, and features, and a man is only at his best, morally, when he is equipped with the religious garment whose color and shape and size most nicely accommodate themselves to the spiritual complexion, angularities, and stature of the individual who wears it."

"The despotism of heaven is the one absolutely perfect government. An earthly despotism would be the absolutely perfect earthly government, if the conditions were the same; namely, the despot the perfectest individual of the human race, and his lease of life perpetual. But as a perishable perfect man must die, and leave his despotism in the hands of an imperfect successor, an earthly despotism is not merely a bad form of government, it is the worst form that is possible."

-Mark Twain

#18 Moshi

Moshi

Little Reb Sunshine

• Members
  • 21,046 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 12:11 PM

oh right...that's why men have 13 ribs and women have 12

is that a fact?

no - G-d opposes stem cell research.

:biggrin:

~My Blog~

#19 Jewcepticon

Jewcepticon

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 06:48 PM

Genesis 1:26

The "DNA" Code is found in the phrase: Alokim Na'aseh Adam ("...G-d said let us make Man..."). Begin with the "D" (Daleth) in Adam, and count backwards five letters to the "N" (Noon) in Na'aseh ("...let us make..."). Then from the "N," count five more letters to the "A" in Alokim ("God"

).

כו וַיֹּאמֶר אֱלֹקים, נַעֲשֶׂה אָדָם בְּצַלְמֵנוּ כִּדְמוּתֵנוּ; וְיִרְדּוּ בִדְגַת הַיָּם וּבְעוֹף הַשָּׁמַיִם, וּבַבְּהֵמָה וּבְכָל-הָאָרֶץ, וּבְכָל-הָרֶמֶשׂ, הָרֹמֵשׂ עַל-הָאָרֶץ. 26

And God said: 'Let us make man in our image, after our likeness; and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.'

you just gave me nachas with your thaw in "daleth" and the ' in "na`aseh" although a ` would have been more apropriate ;)

is that a fact?

:biggrin:

no both men and women have 24 ribs, further more one does not know for sure it is rib and not just side, acourding to midrashim which I know so many of you love to take literally Adam and Hawa where basically siamese hermaphrodites or something, then got karate choped in half.

#20 Rentsy

Rentsy

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 3,005 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 07:03 PM

Yes, I support the "side" interpretation.

Just because the King James Bible says it doesn't make it true.

I promise you, "tachash" isn't "badger."
רמב"ם הלכות תשובה פרק העשירי, הלכה ב

העובד מאהבה - עוסק בתורה ובמצוות והולך במתיבות החוכמה לא מפני דבר בעולם, לא מפני יראת הרעה ולא כדי לירש הטובה, אלא עושה האמת מפני שהוא אמת

הלכה ג

אהבה גדולה יתרה רבה עזה עד מאד, עד שתהא נפשו קשורה באהבת השם ... וכל שיר השירים משל הוא לענין זה

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users