Photo

Is DNA mentioned in the Book of Genesis?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Snag

Snag

הבל יפצה פי

• Banned
  • 11,108 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 07:19 PM

you just gave me nachas with your thaw in "daleth" and the ' in "na`aseh" although a ` would have been more apropriate ;)

you just gave me nahath with your nachas :p
"Spiritual wants and instincts are as various in the human family as are physical appetites, complexions, and features, and a man is only at his best, morally, when he is equipped with the religious garment whose color and shape and size most nicely accommodate themselves to the spiritual complexion, angularities, and stature of the individual who wears it."

"The despotism of heaven is the one absolutely perfect government. An earthly despotism would be the absolutely perfect earthly government, if the conditions were the same; namely, the despot the perfectest individual of the human race, and his lease of life perpetual. But as a perishable perfect man must die, and leave his despotism in the hands of an imperfect successor, an earthly despotism is not merely a bad form of government, it is the worst form that is possible."

-Mark Twain

#22 David F

David F

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 02:46 AM

Just because the King James Bible says it doesn't make it true.
I promise you, "tachash" isn't "badger."

Does this come from the King James translation?

#23 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 03:11 AM

you just gave me nachas with your thaw in "daleth" and the ' in "na`aseh" although a ` would have been more apropriate ;)

Oh, that! I just cut and pasted from some Christian site.

Pinchas is right - micha

For the record, IRL he is a really nice guy! - HappyDuck, Z"L

#24 David F

David F

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 03:44 AM

Oh, that! I just cut and pasted from some Christian site.

:biggrin:
2 points.

#25 Guest_Melech_*

Guest_Melech_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2010 - 07:47 AM

#26 warren

warren

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,208 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 08:02 AM

Whats the Truth about Adams Spare Rib?
By Ari Z. Zivotofsky

http://www.ou.org/in.../article/33144/

Footnote 10 contains:

The notion of a two-sided creation is also found in the legends of other cultures. Plato (428-347 BCE), describes the creation of three different back-to-back creatures, which Zeus split in half and then later permitted to re-join by copulation (Symposium 189-193).

Oddly, this article omits how these three different (types of) humans differed from one another.
Poe's law: without a clear indication of the author's intent, it is difficult or impossible to tell the difference between sincere extremism and an exaggerated parody of extremism

If not now, when? Because I have lunch plans.

Purple is indeed very important

The Uncertainty Principle. It proves we can't ever really know... what's going on. So it shouldn't bother you. Not being able to figure anything out. Although you will be responsible for this on the mid-term. - "A Serious Man"

#27 spectra

spectra

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:51 AM

DNA is mentioned in Genesis. The blood DNA of Abel is mentioned, where it says; the blood of "specific" Abel cried out from the ground.

It seems the scientists are way behind on that discovery.

#28 Cephyr13

Cephyr13

Hocker

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:43 PM

I'm asking because if I take the word "rib" and look it up in the Hebrew dictionary it reads: tsal'ah - a rib (as curved). I've seen pictures of DNA and it is curved.

Glassman96,
By your logic, since the rib is described as curved, then not only could it be DNA being described here, but it could also be the moon (it's curved), wheels (they're curved), the skull (it's curved), or even a basket ball (it's curved). Clearly, the logic is a bit too broad to be usable. I'm not making fun of your logic, because making such links as you did is insightful and inventive. I just wanted to answer your question by showing that the lack of depth in the evidence renders the logic useless. Hope this helps.

#29 LAGoff

LAGoff

Hocker

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:01 AM

A single sex cell(tsel.. as in ha-tsela{THE cell} of Gen.2:22)-- or zygote-- has 46 chromosomes.

ADM(Adam) equals numerically 45 in Hebrew(1+4+40).

He originally had 46 chromosomes because he was male and female(23 c's + 23 c's).

One chromosome(#23) was taken out to build the female-- the difference between the male and female being the 23rd chromosome(it's xx for woman and xy for male).

#30 33948

Shtark

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:56 AM

That link no longer works, but I have heard the Greek legend that man was originally created with four arms, four legs and two heads and God split him into two (man and woman) so that the man could seek out his other half and become one again. But from reading a passage like "God took the man's (side/rib) and created woman" doesn't sound anything like splitting an existing being into two. Please explain this further. Interesting here is that man is essentially giving birth to woman. Also implied is a hierarchy: G-d breathed life into a man, man gave life to woman. All other beings were manifested from the atmosphere. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users