• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 TimeRebbe

TimeRebbe

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,140 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 03:10 PM

that one is kind of self-fulfilling.....

well, yes, except that the dream was what convinced her to say yes, before she was still unsure. and also that she remembered it clearly even 20 years later
"10 a.m. - We begin our descent. On the way down, Chief of Landfills Thorne informs us that Mount Trashmore contains - I am not making this up - human body parts AND dead whales." -Dave Barry
"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts... for support rather than illumination."
"I guess the problem is that I think most people are idiots (granted, WELL MEANING idiots)" --KR

#22 israeli4ever

israeli4ever

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 03:14 PM

well, yes, except that the dream was what convinced her to say yes, before she was still unsure. and also that she remembered it clearly even 20 years later

like i said.....

The other one though is kinda creepy....
Disclaimer: The comments made by this poster do not necessarily represent an actual opinion, they are merely the latest output of an infinite amount of monkeys working on Shakespeare

"Frumkeit without Mentchlichkeit is not Yiddishkeit!" - Razie

"If you don't sin... Jesus died for nothing."

"because teaching is all about obscuration and obfuscation.."
- Snag

#23 Snag

Snag

הבל יפצה פי

• Banned
  • 11,108 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 09:11 AM

i don't know about the gemara, but rabbi menashe b. yisrael has a dissertation on dreams, both in the conciliator and in nishmas chaim, where he divides them into six categories, three "true" and three "false". i'll b"n try to post it tomorrow.

http://hebrewbooks.org/pdfpager.aspx?req=30792&st=&pgnum=156

it's in nishmas chaim III:5, although i remmeber it being presented slightly differently in the conciliator, i can't seem to find my copy of that, and the online version is in the original Portuguese, which i cannot read.

essentially, he says that there are two types of completely false dreams; those where a person dreams of things related to his physical condition (e.g. if he is cold, he will dream of rain or snow, etc.), or things related to his mental state (i.e. things which he was thinking about in the recent past).

then there is the providential dream; where Hashem reveals things to people who are not prophets, by way of certain implications embedded in their natural dreams.

then there is the prophetic dream.

he gives examples and proofs for all of these, but i don't have the time to type it up at length. you can check the link i posted, or, if someone can link the relevnat pages of the conciliator...
"Spiritual wants and instincts are as various in the human family as are physical appetites, complexions, and features, and a man is only at his best, morally, when he is equipped with the religious garment whose color and shape and size most nicely accommodate themselves to the spiritual complexion, angularities, and stature of the individual who wears it."

"The despotism of heaven is the one absolutely perfect government. An earthly despotism would be the absolutely perfect earthly government, if the conditions were the same; namely, the despot the perfectest individual of the human race, and his lease of life perpetual. But as a perishable perfect man must die, and leave his despotism in the hands of an imperfect successor, an earthly despotism is not merely a bad form of government, it is the worst form that is possible."

-Mark Twain

#24 Rentsy

Rentsy

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 3,005 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 10:24 AM

Well, self-fulfilling dreams might be the most pleasant.
רמב"ם הלכות תשובה פרק העשירי, הלכה ב

העובד מאהבה - עוסק בתורה ובמצוות והולך במתיבות החוכמה לא מפני דבר בעולם, לא מפני יראת הרעה ולא כדי לירש הטובה, אלא עושה האמת מפני שהוא אמת

הלכה ג

אהבה גדולה יתרה רבה עזה עד מאד, עד שתהא נפשו קשורה באהבת השם ... וכל שיר השירים משל הוא לענין זה

#25 yo5ef

yo5ef

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 02:37 PM

Isn't sleep actually an almost death-like state. Our heart beat slows down. There is little brain activity. In death every all of this completely ceases and the soul joins with the Creator. The Creator is all-knowing and I think thats why sometimes we wake up with these enlightening insightful dreams that either tell us something about our selves or just make us feel good. Maybe they don't mean anything at all but the good happy feeling we get is just a mark left on us by the soul's trip during our rest. Any thoughts?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users