Photo

Moving to Canada -- any Modern O communities?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 usuario

usuario

Hocker

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 10:51 PM

Bathurst St. in Toronto? Cote St. Luc in Montreal, anywhere else with a good shomer Torah community, that's not too frum. I need to find one that's welcoming to outsiders because I plan on just showing up one day and joining in without telling them I'm a ger (with a questionable halachi backing). I have an idea that Jews, like any other minority group in Canada, are more inward focusing, so I'd like to live in a community that's open-minded to others.

I hate cold weather, so I was originally thinking of Vancouver. But is there an establish Jewish community in Vancouver or the Lower Mainland of B.C.?

#2 Rentsy

Rentsy

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 3,005 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 11:00 PM

Well, are you a ger? If you aren't a ger, you shouldn't deceive these nice strangers, that would be mean.

I've been to Toronto, quite nice.
רמב"ם הלכות תשובה פרק העשירי, הלכה ב

העובד מאהבה - עוסק בתורה ובמצוות והולך במתיבות החוכמה לא מפני דבר בעולם, לא מפני יראת הרעה ולא כדי לירש הטובה, אלא עושה האמת מפני שהוא אמת

הלכה ג

אהבה גדולה יתרה רבה עזה עד מאד, עד שתהא נפשו קשורה באהבת השם ... וכל שיר השירים משל הוא לענין זה

#3 Kalashnikover_Rebbe

Kalashnikover_Rebbe

fine, nice looking, batampte Ben Torah

• Members
  • 26,049 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 05:57 AM

I hate cold weather

:rofl:
[/flirting]

#4 yoel

yoel

Gabbai

• Members
  • 989 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 07:28 AM

I'm with Rentsy... are you a geir or aren't you? If you're not, please go through geiris, if only for your own sake, to say nothing of the notion of deceiving people.

Scenario: you present yourself for shachris davening as a Yid. There are nine others. Suddenly, you're causing the chazan to commit the sin of bracha lavatala, a blessing in vain, repeatedly. This is using G-d's name in vain and a serious matter. If you're not a geir by way of a recognized orthodox beis din, you need to rectify that before you present yourself as such.
וזה עקר צער של ישראל שיש להם בגלות
הכל הוא מחמת שנפלו מהדעת ותולין
הכל בטבע ובמקרים ובמזל

רבי נחמן מברסלב

#5 Guest_iubelo_*

Guest_iubelo_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2011 - 05:48 PM

Maybe what the op was trying to convey is that he would like to be considered a Jew,without telling people he went through a conversion because he is afraid born Jews will give him the cold shoulder.

#6 Guest_Shuli_*

Guest_Shuli_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2011 - 06:43 PM

#7 Tel Aviv

Tel Aviv

Gabbai

• Members
  • 401 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 09:51 PM

eh, I think they'll know anyways. He doesn't look remotely jewish...he doesn't even have a nose.

Nice :biggrin:

So, is the nose inherited down the mother's line? Is that why this rule came to be?
Sometimes I wonder why some elites work so hard in an unethical manner to gain wealth and power: they can't take any of their wealth and power with them when they die. Philosophically looking at it, if there is a G-d, they will have an eternity of suffering to pay for their crimes against humanity. And if there is no G-d, then once they die, they will have no memories and conscious awareness of their success in life because their consciousness and memories are lost for eternity, becoming nothing more than dirt in the ground. So, these elites in the end lose either way. The 100 years of life living like a king is just a drop of water in the infinite ocean of time that they will experience suffering at the hands of G-d, or not experience in a state of non-existence.

#8 Guest_Shuli_*

Guest_Shuli_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2011 - 09:57 PM

#9 usuario

usuario

Hocker

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 03:56 PM

eh, I think they'll know anyways. He doesn't look remotely jewish...he doesn't even have a nose.

Hey, there are lots of Canadians on h.com and none of them have noses. Are you saying none of them are Jewish?*

Maybe what the op was trying to convey is that he would like to be considered a Jew,without telling people he went through a conversion because he is afraid born Jews will give him the cold shoulder.

You're right. Whether someone can eat by my house shouldn't depend on the reputation of who's on my beit din. If it's a halachic conversion, then I'm a Jew like everyone else in the congregation.

*You won't get this unless you're familiar with South Park.

#10 NY-LON

NY-LON

Toddler Chaser

• Members
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 07:40 PM

Bathurst St. in Toronto? Cote St. Luc in Montreal, anywhere else with a good shomer Torah community, that's not too frum. I need to find one that's welcoming to outsiders because I plan on just showing up one day and joining in without telling them I'm a ger (with a questionable halachi backing). I have an idea that Jews, like any other minority group in Canada, are more inward focusing, so I'd like to live in a community that's open-minded to others.

I hate cold weather, so I was originally thinking of Vancouver. But is there an establish Jewish community in Vancouver or the Lower Mainland of B.C.?

There's a small community in Vancouver. Do you have C$1M for a small house? Vancouver is crazy.
Remember, correlation does not equal causation.
Coincidence does not imply correlation.

Warning: ever-present baby may result in mis-reading of posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users