• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 LoveToLaugh

LoveToLaugh

Huh?

• Members
  • 5,341 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 07:54 PM

A friend of mine's sister is in and directs this, I am finding to be really fascinating to watch.
In Over Our Heads
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_peYn7vvic
God, grant us the...
Serenity to accept things we cannot change,
Courage to change the things we can, and the
Wisdom to know the difference
Patience for the things that take time
Appreciation for all that we have, and
Tolerance for those with different struggles
Freedom to live beyond the limitations of our past ways, the
Ability to feel your love for us and our love for each other and the
Strength to get up and try again even when we feel it is hopeless.

#2 justbatya

justbatya

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:12 PM

I watched part 1 of episode 1 for 5 and a half minutes and decided there are way more interesting things on the internet. I didn't laugh at all. What do you like about it?

My poor SO still thinks that a Batya is a what, and not a who.

Soda-Club Home Soda Makers
Blog-o-rama

#3 LoveToLaugh

LoveToLaugh

Huh?

• Members
  • 5,341 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:49 PM

the first episode was dumb-ish. the mikveh episode was good and the one where the guy was talking about mooning the rabbi. I just think a lot of their comments are real and talk about some of what Judaism is.
God, grant us the...

#4 Very Lucky Guy

Very Lucky Guy

Dogs are still (much) cuter than babies!

• Members
  • 6,613 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 06:47 AM

Is this really a reality show (the people are not actors and are discussing actual, true things that happened to them) or is it fictional in a "reality" format?
Nothing, I have nothing to say.

#5 justbatya

justbatya

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 08:26 AM

My impression was that it was reality show, but obviously mostly structured in advance and possibly partially scripted.

Blog-o-rama

#6 Very Lucky Guy

Very Lucky Guy

• Members
  • 6,613 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 08:33 AM

It seems the episodes are online on Facebook and youtube - 2 sites I cannot access from work, so it's doubtful I'll ever see this show. I am intrigued, though. How long are the episodes?

(Personal pet peeve: I do not like girls being named Simchah. It's a boy name.)

#7 justbatya

justbatya

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 08:43 AM

It seems the episodes are online on Facebook and youtube - 2 sites I cannot access from work, so it's doubtful I'll ever see this show. I am intrigued, though. How long are the episodes?

(Personal pet peeve: I do not like girls being named Simchah. It's a boy name.)

They're pretty long, each part is 5-6 minutes, 4 parts each I think.

There was an article in some magazine recently about a girl who became BT and wanted to use her Hebrew name, but struggled to come to terms with having the name Simcha. Simi's doing just fine now.

Blog-o-rama

#8 Very Lucky Guy

Very Lucky Guy

• Members
  • 6,613 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 09:07 AM

Ok, it looks like the second episode on Facebook i accesible, so I'll try to watch during lunch.

There is another show (can't remember the name) that airs on Shalom TV (a free OnDemand channel). It is not good at all. It presents itself as a reality show about Jewish people dating in NY, but it is fictional and the writing is not good. They try to use words to sound like they are frum or something (like sheital pronounced in a really chassidish way), and it comes off sounding really phony. That's what I was thinking this show was about at first, but after reading through the website it seems like a real reality show.

#9 greentiger

greentiger

look here!

• Members
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 09:18 AM

I didn't get the point of it from the commercial. Doesn't look like something I'd sit through.
Treat each day as your last; one day you will be right

If a man stands in the middle of the forest speaking and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

#10 Very Lucky Guy

Very Lucky Guy

• Members
  • 6,613 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 11:10 AM

I watched Episode 1 for a few minutes and stopped. It was real boring.

But, Episode 2 was pretty interesting. It was mainly about this (self-identified Orthodox) girl who is married and has two kids and likes to go out clubbing. She talks about needing to feel "free" and wanting to be able to go to a place where she doesn;t have to hear herself think.

Personally, I found the whole thing sad. I feel really bad for her husband. It seems like she's someone who married too young, had kids too early, and then realized she doesn't like being religious (at least in the traditional sense). It was interesting how they interspersed scenes of her in the club with scenes from her wedding video (which was totally frum and looks like two normal Orthodox people getting married).

#11 LoveToLaugh

LoveToLaugh

Huh?

• Members
  • 5,341 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 01:06 PM

vlg, you can watch the show on their own site too. i think it airs on jltv.tv as well, you can watch a couple of other videos there too.
God, grant us the...

#12 greentiger

greentiger

look here!

• Members
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 06:23 PM

I watched a bit and I'm not impressed. What is it? Just a stage for frum jews who are frustrated with Judaism and need to vent publicly? The mikvah one was way tmi imo and do we really need to see them french kissing in slow-mo??
Treat each day as your last; one day you will be right

If a man stands in the middle of the forest speaking and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

#13 InOverOurHeads

InOverOurHeads

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 06:37 AM

Is this really a reality show (the people are not actors and are discussing actual, true things that happened to them) or is it fictional in a "reality" format?

InOverOurHeads is the real thing. I think you're confusing us with that Jewish "reality" show about dating that had professional actors and a script. InOverOurHeads is real people sharing their real feelings with no script. We start with an idea, but we don't always know where it's going to go until we get to the editing room. It was a total surprise that Valerie (who identifies herself as Reform) would want to go to the mikveh, and even a bigger surprise that she had such an emotional experience. (I don't think we could have made that up if we wanted to.)

The first couple of episodes were prerelease versions made for public access television. We've since been picked up by the Jewish Life Television network - JLTV. You can catch it on DirecTV channel 366, TimeWarner cable channel 120 in NY/NJ and 177 in LA, on JLTV.tv, and of course at www.inoverourheads.com. All of the episodes have been completely redone for national television and more are to come! Check out what Frum Satire has to say.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users