Photo

Why did Israel choose the Jewish Star on the Israeli flag?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 writer.at.heart415

writer.at.heart415

Gabbai

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 07:01 PM

All I can find online is that at the First Zionist Conference, when they chose the flag creation, they chose blue stripes for the tzitzit, but I can't find if there was a reason they chose the Jewish Star in the middle - can anyone think of a reason?
"I'm the Hebrew Mamita, long-lost daughter of Abraham and Sarah, the oy-vaying matzo-eating chutzpah-having non-cheaping non-conspiracizing always-questioning hip-hop listening Torah scroll-reading all-people loving pride-filled Jewish girl." - from Hebrew Mamita by Vanessa Hidary

"If patriarchy had a specific beginning in history, it can also have an end" - Maria Mies

"...I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat" - Rebecca West

"Only the woman whose neck is bent will bear the oppressor’s heel"

"Well-behaved women don't make history" - Laurel Thatcher Ullrich

"We are the women men warned us about" - Robin Morgan

"We’ve made our cholent. We need to take to the streets and protest" - Blu Greenberg

#2 Natanel

Natanel

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 07:07 PM

did you try wikipedia?
"the Coolaid avator guy [kalnishkor] seems to be anti MO" - NYK

"why do we have to suffer so that you don't get banned from some syrian forum?!" -Elana

"h.com is incredibly democratic, egalitarian, and provides a level playing field for everyone. If you don't like the topics, instead of lamenting, all you have to do to skew the conversations to something more appealing to you then all you have to do is post new topics. Be a head and not a tail."

-Melech

#3 Dan

Dan

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 07:12 PM

Because it *was* the Jewish state. As to the source of the star, see this thread.
כלל זה יהא נקוט בידך: מי שאינו רואה את המקום [=ה'] בכל מקום, אינו רואה בשום מקום
איפה נמצא אלוקים? בכל מקום שנותנים לו להיכנס
-Kotzker

נישט אלעס וואס מען טראכט דארף מען זאגען, נישט אלעס וואס מען זאגט דארף מען שרייבען, נישט אלעס וואס מען שרייבט דארף מען דרוקען און נישט אלעס וואס מען דרוקט דארף מען ליינען!
-R' Salanter

יש בן חורין שרוחו רוח של עבד, ויש עבד שרוחו מלאה חירות; הנאמן לעצמיותו – בן חורין הוא, ומי שכל חייו הם רק במה שטוב ויפה בעיני אחרים – הוא עבד
-R' Kook

#4 Snag

Snag

הבל יפצה פי

• Banned
  • 11,108 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 07:38 PM

i once asked rav avigdor nebenzahl about the meaning of the md, and he said it was possibly david's seal/signature, since in ancient hebrew (ksav ivri) the dalet is a triangle, and it was not uncommon for people to use the first and last letters of a proper noun as it's representation (לדוגמא י-ם), king dovid signed his name with two interlocking triangles.

if he is correct, then perhaps they adopted it because david is one of the 'acceptable' biblical figures to the zionist mentality.

but dan is probably correct - regardless of it's actual origin, it has signified jews for many years, so the jewish state adopted it as their symbol.
"Spiritual wants and instincts are as various in the human family as are physical appetites, complexions, and features, and a man is only at his best, morally, when he is equipped with the religious garment whose color and shape and size most nicely accommodate themselves to the spiritual complexion, angularities, and stature of the individual who wears it."

"The despotism of heaven is the one absolutely perfect government. An earthly despotism would be the absolutely perfect earthly government, if the conditions were the same; namely, the despot the perfectest individual of the human race, and his lease of life perpetual. But as a perishable perfect man must die, and leave his despotism in the hands of an imperfect successor, an earthly despotism is not merely a bad form of government, it is the worst form that is possible."

-Mark Twain

#5 Gabbe

Gabbe

€£₪€£

• Members
  • 10,583 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 07:43 PM

The author hereby expressly and unconditionally reserves all rights stemming from his posts (including copyrights) despite any delusions the administration may have.

#6 Snag

Snag

הבל יפצה פי

• Banned
  • 11,108 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 07:52 PM

Bull. It isn't mentioned anywhere in Shas or apparently even the Zohar.

*shrug*
"Spiritual wants and instincts are as various in the human family as are physical appetites, complexions, and features, and a man is only at his best, morally, when he is equipped with the religious garment whose color and shape and size most nicely accommodate themselves to the spiritual complexion, angularities, and stature of the individual who wears it."

"The despotism of heaven is the one absolutely perfect government. An earthly despotism would be the absolutely perfect earthly government, if the conditions were the same; namely, the despot the perfectest individual of the human race, and his lease of life perpetual. But as a perishable perfect man must die, and leave his despotism in the hands of an imperfect successor, an earthly despotism is not merely a bad form of government, it is the worst form that is possible."

-Mark Twain

#7 Gabbe

Gabbe

€£₪€£

• Members
  • 10,583 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 07:56 PM

The author hereby expressly and unconditionally reserves all rights stemming from his posts (including copyrights) despite any delusions the administration may have.

#8 Snag

Snag

הבל יפצה פי

• Banned
  • 11,108 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 07:59 PM

This sort of anachronism reminds me of the vertel of how Haman rolled dice and determined that he would succeed, since the tops of the dice showed 1-3-3 (Agag) and the bottoms showed 6-4-4 (David).

*shrug*

-Mark Twain

#9 grend123

grend123

Chair of Indefinite Studies, U.U.

• Members
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 08:14 PM

It's because it was common for talleisim to have a magen david on them. The entire flag is supposed to be a stylized tallis.
Klal Yisrael is lucky that I wasn't a Rishon.

Do not feed your grend. It will only encourage it.

Al chet that a polish nobleman from the 18th century would not feel comfortable in my closet.

#10 writer.at.heart415

writer.at.heart415

Gabbai

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 08:36 PM

It's because it was common for talleisim to have a magen david on them. The entire flag is supposed to be a stylized tallis.

Do you have a source for that?
"I'm the Hebrew Mamita, long-lost daughter of Abraham and Sarah, the oy-vaying matzo-eating chutzpah-having non-cheaping non-conspiracizing always-questioning hip-hop listening Torah scroll-reading all-people loving pride-filled Jewish girl." - from Hebrew Mamita by Vanessa Hidary

"If patriarchy had a specific beginning in history, it can also have an end" - Maria Mies

"...I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat" - Rebecca West

"We’ve made our cholent. We need to take to the streets and protest" - Blu Greenberg

#11 Kalashnikover_Rebbe

Kalashnikover_Rebbe

fine, nice looking, batampte Ben Torah

• Members
  • 26,049 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 09:06 PM

Perhaps the fact that it's called a "Jewish Star" has something to do with it.....
[/flirting]

#12 Shoshi

Shoshi

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 4,076 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 09:24 PM

Um, because it's a Jewish country?

#13 Poormandavid

Poormandavid

Masmid

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 06:03 AM

Actually. Nobody knows :)

#14 Geshmak

Geshmak

Gabbai

• Members
  • 543 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 08:30 AM

The star symbolizes a core Jewish belief that Hashem is everywhere, pointing in all six directions, in the heavens and the earth, east, west, south , north, similar to our shaking the esrog/lulav in 6 directions.

#15 Geshmak

Geshmak

Gabbai

• Members
  • 543 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:42 AM

Did you find a satisfactory explanation, Writer? Please share...

#16 writer.at.heart415

writer.at.heart415

Gabbai

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 01:43 PM

Did you find a satisfactory explanation, Writer? Please share...

They're all pretty good. Nothing concrete yet.

#17 Albert

Albert

Hocker

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 02:47 PM

I was told it was the Seal of Solomon a ring he wore to call up demons, as i don't believe in demons?.

#18 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 03:09 PM

I heard that was the reason for the stripes part not the star part.

Pinchas is right - micha

For the record, IRL he is a really nice guy! - HappyDuck, Z"L

#19 Diogenes The Cynic

Diogenes The Cynic

Gabbai

• Members
  • 899 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 06:10 PM

The Mogen David has been part of Jewish symbolism for centuries.
Libertarian. Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.

#20 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 03:34 AM

Mogen Dovid actually means Shield of David not Star of David as it's often mistranslated into. I heard that's exactly what it was - armor for David's soldiers. Imagine putting your head through the top triangle, your arms through the other two on top, your legs through the bottom ones and there is a little something to protect the groin area.

One explanation is that the blue stripes represent the splitting sea and the Mogen Dovid represents the Jews walking between it.

Pinchas is right - micha

For the record, IRL he is a really nice guy! - HappyDuck, Z"L

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users