#1 Savannah

Savannah

~*~ pixie smile ~*~

• Members
  • 20,505 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 07:18 PM

http://www.amazon.co...77079417&sr=1-1

Product Description
Inside the closed community of Borough Park, where most Chassidim live, the rules of life are very clear, determined by an ancient script written thousands of years before down to the last detail—and abuse has never been a part of it. But when thirteen-year-old Gittel learns of the abuse her best friend has suffered at the hands of her own family member, the adults in her community try to persuade Gittel, and themselves, that nothing happened. Forced to remain silent, Gittel begins to question everything she was raised to believe.

A richly detailed and nuanced book, one of both humor and depth, understanding and horror, this story explains a complex world that remains an echo of its past, and illuminates the conflict between yesterday's traditions and today's reality.

About the Author
EISHES CHAYIL (a pseudonym meaning "woman of valor"; pronounced AY-shis CHEYE-el) was raised in a world of Chassidic schools, synagogues, and summer camps and is a direct descendant of the major founders and leaders in the Chassidic world. She holds a masters degree in creative writing and has worked as a journalist for several international Orthodox newspapers. She lives on the East Coast with her family.

#2 Gabbe

Gabbe

• Members
  • 10,583 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 07:21 PM

The author hereby expressly and unconditionally reserves all rights stemming from his posts (including copyrights) despite any delusions the administration may have.

#3 Savannah

Savannah

~*~ pixie smile ~*~

• Members
  • 20,505 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 07:27 PM

I wonder if there is a single clause here that is true.

:lol:

#4 Kalashnikover_Rebbe

Kalashnikover_Rebbe

fine, nice looking, batampte Ben Torah

• Members
  • 26,049 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 07:33 PM

Hush! That's no reason to spoil a good story...
[/flirting]

#5 brianna

brianna

Sanctimonious Pleasure Seeker

• Members
  • 13,655 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 07:46 PM

I thought the same thing. First of all, how many thousands of chasidim live in other parts of New York and Israel? Second, the rules of life are not necessarily clear at all. Third, there is no one script and chasidism only started a few hundred years ago.

I love how secular Jews and non Jews seem to think that Chasidism is one monolithic thing and is the "original" and most "authentic" form of Judaism - the way it was practiced thousands of years ago. What a laugh.
Certainly there is no shortage of married, left-wing harlots who do not cover their hair. Although, they're probably busy sacrificing their children to Ba‛al and filing divorce papers. ~ Milton

"Are you including as shomer negiya someone who is sleeping with his girlfriend but not shaking hands with the car dealer?" ~ Moshi

"Some people like their corn flakes soggy, other people get off on repression and guilt." ~ Sweet

Notice of New Policy: I now ask people permission before using their quotes.

#6 TheDuncePolice

TheDuncePolice

Knows she doesn't know

• Members
  • 12,659 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 07:46 PM

Proud member of the "I don't always wait until I finish reading the thread to respond" club.

Believe me, every heart has its secret sorrows, which the world knows not; and oftentimes we call a man cold when he is only sad. ~ Robert C. Savage

#7 Gabbe

Gabbe

• Members
  • 10,583 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 07:53 PM

The author hereby expressly and unconditionally reserves all rights stemming from his posts (including copyrights) despite any delusions the administration may have.

#8 Bezalel

Bezalel

Stud muffin

• Members
  • 3,521 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 08:02 PM

EISHES CHAYIL . . . was raised in a world of Chassidic schools, synagogues, and summer camps and is a direct descendant of the major founders and leaders in the Chassidic world. She holds a masters degree in creative writing and has worked as a journalist for several international Orthodox newspapers. She lives on the East Coast with her family.

What's her h.com screenname?

#9 3_monkeys

3_monkeys

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 03:04 AM

"Hush" review

Interesting article even if h.com is called "ultra-Orthodox-run discussion board"

#10 lyric

lyric

grannylicious

• Members
  • 7,872 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 03:15 AM

I thought the same thing. First of all, how many thousands of chasidim live in other parts of New York and Israel? Second, the rules of life are not necessarily clear at all. Third, there is no one script and chasidism only started a few hundred years ago.

I love how secular Jews and non Jews seem to think that Chasidism is one monolithic thing and is the "original" and most "authentic" form of Judaism - the way it was practiced thousands of years ago. What a laugh.

I am getting SO tired of repeating that there are other parts to the Chassidic world than NY and Israel.
Seen on News Billboard: Osama bin Laden is dead. What Kate was wearing when she heard the news...

#11 Xi

Xi

-->

• Banned
  • 6,300 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 07:18 AM

"Hush" review

Interesting article even if h.com is called "ultra-Orthodox-run discussion board"

Don't forget "snotty". But thanks for posting.
Xi is intimidating, in an endearing sort of way. --Gretchen

#12 3_monkeys

3_monkeys

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 07:21 AM

Doesn't that go without saying? :glasses:

On a more serious note, the situation she described from the book where a teacher is threatened for attempting to bring the issue to light and the offender is moved to a different yeshiva is unfortunately all too believable.

#13 Guest_Melech_*

Guest_Melech_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2010 - 08:56 AM

#14 Kalashnikover_Rebbe

Kalashnikover_Rebbe

fine, nice looking, batampte Ben Torah

• Members
  • 26,049 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 08:59 AM

At least the SEO is working :pardon:
[/flirting]

#15 Razie

Razie

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 09:13 AM

h.com is called "ultra-Orthodox-run discussion board"

I'm pretty sure the intended implication here was that we were being snotty because we were part of the problem and unhappy with the "exposure" of the internal problems. It was the article's author's desire to pretend to do a little of her own investigation journalism and find that "oh look, this ultra orthodox board is unhappy with this book being published."

Hello Lady writer and anyone who finds this thread from that article - we'd be the FIRST to talk about this kind of stuff.

HAHAHAHA

By the way. That's "Razie" ... Spelled "R ... A ...Z ... I ... E" :p Thanks. (even people on this board can't get it right. I blame their inadequate ultra-orthodox educations)

#16 Savannah

Savannah

~*~ pixie smile ~*~

• Members
  • 20,505 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 09:14 AM

"Hush" review

Woohoo, I'm famous!!

#17 Guest_Melech_*

Guest_Melech_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2010 - 09:15 AM

#18 Guest_Melech_*

Guest_Melech_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2010 - 09:19 AM

#19 Savannah

Savannah

~*~ pixie smile ~*~

• Members
  • 20,505 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 09:20 AM

I'm pretty sure the intended implication here was that we were being snotty because we were part of the problem and unhappy with the "exposure" of the internal problems. It was the article's author's desire to pretend to do a little of her own investigation journalism and find that "oh look, this ultra orthodox board is unhappy with this book being published."

TBH, I don't think the author was trying to imply anything; she was just describing how she perceived the thread, and she correctly noted that we were not discussing the book, but the book's description.

famously snotty!

Actually, I'm not the one who was being snotty, though I did approve of others' snottiness. :p

#20 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 09:48 AM

The thread, not the site.

Well is there any thread on this site that's isn't snotty?

Pinchas is right - micha

For the record, IRL he is a really nice guy! - HappyDuck, Z"L

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users