• 7,376 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 02:36 PM

#43 FYI

FYI

Naive or Clueless?

• Members
  • 16,184 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 02:38 PM

You have become an expert in the 'snotty' field I see. I'm proud.
Many people wish they could change their life, when all they really need to do is change their attitude towards life. - Sharon

#44 Psychodad

Psychodad

• Members
  • 7,376 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 02:45 PM

#45 TheDuncePolice

TheDuncePolice

Knows she doesn't know

• Members
  • 12,659 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 03:03 PM

Proud member of the "I don't always wait until I finish reading the thread to respond" club.

Believe me, every heart has its secret sorrows, which the world knows not; and oftentimes we call a man cold when he is only sad. ~ Robert C. Savage

#46 micha

micha

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 04:33 PM

In the meantime, there is a real problem that this story might get people within the community more aware of, and we're busy making fun of the article???

BTW, just today a new pair of sefarim came out on the subject by R' Dr Daniel Eidensohn (who compiled the indeces to the Igeros Moshe and Mishnah Berurah) and Dr . Baruch Shulem. Something to think of buying if you are interested in the topic or to donate to the local synagogue, social work or communal organization to help them better address this critical issue in our communities. (Or you could just continue to ridicule the article... Tablet often has easy targets.

This book is divided into two volumes – each of which is a complete work and yet they clearly supplement each other. Volume II deals with the classic Jewish sources that are relevant to define and understand the issue of abuse, obligations to help one another, sexuality and saving others from harm – as well as the nature of rabbinical authority. It includes the responsa from the major poskim on these issues. These sources are all translated into English but the original Hebrew text is also presented. Volume I serves as a commentary and explanation of the meaning of the material in volume II. It discusses the application of these ideas to contemporary reality, as well as providing religious context for today’s society. To buy (through AishDas’s Amazon Associate store):

(Truth in advertising: I have an essay in vol 1, pp 22-233 "Watering our Weeds - Changing the System". Largely a hashakafah piece.)

-micha

#47 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 04:46 PM

In the meantime, there is a real problem that this story might get people within the community more aware of, and we're busy making fun of the article???

micha,

We feel for you. But that's what Hashkafah.com has become since you left... a bunch of snotty brats.

Pinchas is right - micha

For the record, IRL he is a really nice guy! - HappyDuck, Z"L

#48 Savannah

Savannah

~*~ pixie smile ~*~

• Members
  • 20,505 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 04:48 PM

This is the Entertainment forum. Go take your serious post elsewhere.

#49 micha

micha

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 05:34 PM

This is the Entertainment forum. Go take your serious post elsewhere.

I didn't know that violating

אַ֥שְֽׁרֵי הָאִ֗ישׁ אֲשֶׁ֤ר ׀ לֹ֥א הָלַךְ֮ בַּֽעֲצַ֪ת רְשָׁ֫עִ֥ים
וּבְדֶ֣רֶךְ חַ֭טָּאִים לֹ֥א עָמָ֑ד וּבְמוֹשַׁ֥ב לֵ֝צִ֗ים לֹ֣א יָשָֽׁב׃
Enriched is the person who has not followed the advice of the wicked,
nor in the way of the sinner has not stood, nor sat in the hangout of the scornful.

was excusable by claiming "entertainment".

Pinchas is right; this is nothing like the h.com I left. I'm sorry I stopped by when this thread appeared in my Google results...

-micha

#50 Sweet

Sweet

Passionately Ambivalent

• Members
  • 6,949 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 05:39 PM

I didn't know that violating
was excusable by claiming "entertainment".

Pinchas is right; this is nothing like the h.com I left. I'm sorry I stopped by when this thread appeared in my Google results...

-micha

Let's be honest, Micha, while you may not have intended to be condescending, and this issue is obviously close to your heart, there are less offensive ways you could have begun your first post in three years. Something like "On the topic of timely books about abuse in the Orthodox community..." There's no need for acrimony.
The world has too many stupid people who are full of confidence, and smart people who are full of self-doubt.

#51 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 05:48 PM

There's no need for acrimony.

But acrimony makes the world go round.

Pinchas is right - micha

#52 Sweet

Sweet

Passionately Ambivalent

• Members
  • 6,949 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 05:51 PM

micha,

We feel for you. But that's what Hashkafah.com has become since you left... a bunch of snotty brats.

For you, #####head, there are no words.
The world has too many stupid people who are full of confidence, and smart people who are full of self-doubt.

#53 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 05:53 PM

For you, #####head, there are no words.

I love you too! :drinks:

Let's never fight again!

Pinchas is right - micha

#54 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 05:59 PM

micha,

In all seriousness, I enjoyed reading your posts very much when you posted here. There were a handful of posters back in 2004 and 2005 that really raised the level of discussion on these forums. I felt you were always one of them. Don't get me wrong. There are wonderful capable posters here today, but the culture has changed. Things that weren't acceptable before (such as the above exchange) now are... is it better? Is it worse? It just is.

Pinchas is right - micha

#55 Kalashnikover_Rebbe

Kalashnikover_Rebbe

fine, nice looking, batampte Ben Torah

• Members
  • 26,049 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 06:06 PM

בעקבות משיחא חוצפא יסגא, ויוקר יאמיר: הגפן תתן פריה והיין ביוקר, ומלכות תהפך למינות, ואין תוכחת, בית וועד יהיה לזנות, והגליל יחרב, והגבלן יישום, ואנשי הגבול יסובבו מעיר לעיר ולא יחוננו, וחכמות סופרים תסרח, ויראי חטא ימאסו, והאמת תהא נעדרת. נערים פני זקנים ילבינו, זקנים יעמדו מפני קטנים, בן מנוול אב, בת קמה באמה, כלה בחמותה, אויבי איש אנשי ביתו, פני הדור כפני הכלב, הבן אינו מתבייש מאביו.
[/flirting]

#56 Sweet

Sweet

Passionately Ambivalent

• Members
  • 6,949 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 06:08 PM

I love you too! :drinks:

Let's never fight again!

It took all my will-power to not jump into a phone booth and break out my filter busting skills. I think we should just agree to ignore each other whenever possible.

#57 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 06:11 PM

It took all my will-power to not jump into a phone booth and break out my filter busting skills. I think we should just agree to ignore each other whenever possible.

Would you believe me if I told you I find your posts quite humorous and hold not the slightest bit of animosity toward you?

(You probably wouldn't but it's true.) :)

Pinchas is right - micha

#58 Sweet

Sweet

Passionately Ambivalent

• Members
  • 6,949 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 06:12 PM

Would you believe me if I told you I find your posts quite humorous and hold not the slightest bit of animosity toward you?

(You probably wouldn't but it's true.) :)

No, you're right, I wouldn't. Wait, you can't be right. Your wrong, I do believe it... Wait, I can't believe it... AAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!

#59 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 06:20 PM

No, you're right, I wouldn't. Wait, you can't be right. Your wrong, I do believe it... Wait, I can't believe it... AAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!

<. <!-- . id="ytplayer" class="EmbeddedVideo" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://youtube.com/embed/ecW0B5rELyo?html5=1&fs=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen /><. -->>

Pinchas is right - micha

#60 micha

micha

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 09:21 PM

Let's be honest, Micha, while you may not have intended to be condescending, and this issue is obviously close to your heart, there are less offensive ways you could have begun your first post in three years. Something like "On the topic of timely books about abuse in the Orthodox community..." There's no need for acrimony.

You're correct that I came in angry... But realize how I found this thread. As already discussed within the thread, it was mentioned in Moment Magazine. So here you have a major non-frum platform discussing sexual abuse in the Orthodox community, they quote your words as "proof" of our backwards attitude and denial of the problem. You sit there, discuss the article, and no one sobers up?!

So yes, I came in angry.

-micha

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users