• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 Geshmak

Geshmak

Gabbai

• Members
  • 543 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:11 AM

Do you learn Daf Yomi? If so, is it with a live shiur, chavrusa, recording, online, or a solo endeavour? Or combination thereof?

#2 Guest_Melech_*

Guest_Melech_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:12 AM

#3 Geshmak

Geshmak

Gabbai

• Members
  • 543 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:22 AM

Yes. Live shiur before Shachris. Then I download Rabbi Rosner's shiur and try to listen on I-Pod while commuting/traveling. I also have the "ShasPod" with Rabbi Grossman's shiurim pre-loaded and listen as well, or alternatively, from time to time. In the past, I've downloaded the OU Daf Yomi shiurim which are also good.

#4 Poormandavid

Poormandavid

Masmid

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:41 AM

Yes. Live shiur before Shachris. Then I download Rabbi Rosner's shiur and try to listen on I-Pod while commuting/traveling. I also have the "ShasPod" with Rabbi Grossman's shiurim pre-loaded and listen as well, or alternatively, from time to time. In the past, In the past, I've downloaded the OU Daf Yomi shiurim which are also good.

Good! Kol Hakavod :)

There are also very good shaorim on the Sinai website it is called daf yomi katzar which
I found quite valuable for insight about the core structure of the daf - they are very well
organized with respect to this purpose.

#5 Guest_Melech_*

Guest_Melech_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:45 AM

#6 Geshmak

Geshmak

Gabbai

• Members
  • 543 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:46 AM

Thanks, David!

#7 Poormandavid

Poormandavid

Masmid

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:48 AM

That's permissible?

Well - taking into account that "vehgit bo yomam valil" and "obshacvecha o bekumcha" - you should think
about Torah night and day - when you wake up and when you go to sleep (and every other minute)...then
it would be ok :)

But if it would be something else it would be problematic of course...

#8 Geshmak

Geshmak

Gabbai

• Members
  • 543 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 09:00 AM

That's permissible?

Absolutely. Not that anecdotal evidence is proof, but I've been participating in a wonderful, well-attended pre-Shachris Daf Yomi shiur for 20 years, and I know that many other pre-Shachris shiurim abound. It's great way to start the day. Way way back in Camp Aguda we had the "cocoa club" encouraging early risers to learn before davening. I'm sure there are more authoritative sources as well.

#9 FYI

FYI

Naive or Clueless?

• Members
  • 16,184 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 09:50 AM

That's permissible?

I believe if it's after one has said birchas Hatorah and it's in the sanctuary so that he won't get distracted/miss shacharis and/or he appoints a shaliach to remind him to go to shacharis, it would be permissible.
Many people wish they could change their life, when all they really need to do is change their attitude towards life. - Sharon

#10 Geshmak

Geshmak

Gabbai

• Members
  • 543 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 10:03 AM

I believe if it's after one has said birchas Hatorah and it's in the sanctuary so that he won't get distracted/miss shacharis and/or he appoints a shaliach to remind him to go to shacharis, it would be permissible.

Indeed, the times are set and the Gabboim, and others, make sure that Shachris starts on time.

#11 Geshmak

Geshmak

Gabbai

• Members
  • 543 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 10:07 AM

-

#12 Guest_Melech_*

Guest_Melech_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2010 - 10:56 AM

#13 FYI

FYI

Naive or Clueless?

• Members
  • 16,184 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 10:57 AM

Right. But the issue here which I questioned is learning on one's own. That there's a heter for learning in the BHM or with a chaburah is immaterial.

I believe he said a shiur that was shown in shul or did I misunderstand?
Many people wish they could change their life, when all they really need to do is change their attitude towards life. - Sharon

#14 Geshmak

Geshmak

Gabbai

• Members
  • 543 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 11:06 AM

I believe he said a shiur that was shown in shul or did I misunderstand?

The live shiur I attend is in Shul, then I download another mp3 recorded shiur on to my I-Pod and listen on the road.

#15 Guest_Melech_*

Guest_Melech_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2010 - 11:10 AM

#16 Gabbe

Gabbe

• Members
  • 10,583 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 11:27 AM

The author hereby expressly and unconditionally reserves all rights stemming from his posts (including copyrights) despite any delusions the administration may have.

#17 FYI

FYI

Naive or Clueless?

• Members
  • 16,184 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 11:30 AM

You don't have to forget it.

#18 Gabbe

Gabbe

• Members
  • 10,583 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 11:38 AM

The author hereby expressly and unconditionally reserves all rights stemming from his posts (including copyrights) despite any delusions the administration may have.

#19 Snag

Snag

הבל יפצה פי

• Banned
  • 11,108 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 04:51 PM

I'm not a fan of Daf Yomi. I don't see the point of covering large amounts of material and then just forgetting it.

i don't 'do the daf' myself, but i disagree with this blanket characterization. i think that for some people the sense of accomplishment which comes with completing masechtos is the only thing which motivates them to go to the shiur consistently. while they may not come away knowing the amount of material they would be learning with a slower, more intensive and reviewable regimen, they would likely not attend such a regimen so it's hakol revach.
"Spiritual wants and instincts are as various in the human family as are physical appetites, complexions, and features, and a man is only at his best, morally, when he is equipped with the religious garment whose color and shape and size most nicely accommodate themselves to the spiritual complexion, angularities, and stature of the individual who wears it."

"The despotism of heaven is the one absolutely perfect government. An earthly despotism would be the absolutely perfect earthly government, if the conditions were the same; namely, the despot the perfectest individual of the human race, and his lease of life perpetual. But as a perishable perfect man must die, and leave his despotism in the hands of an imperfect successor, an earthly despotism is not merely a bad form of government, it is the worst form that is possible."

-Mark Twain

#20 Gabbe

Gabbe

• Members
  • 10,583 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 04:59 PM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users