Can I still go to a yeshivish barber though I'm no longer in yeshi

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 unforgettableid

unforgettableid

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 08:50 PM

I'm 25 years old. I used to pay about $6 to get a haircut from a barber in the Chinatown district of my city (Toronto, Canada). But he didn't speak English well, and I don't know if he was cutting off the peyos or not.

I think I'm gonna switch to using Jewish barbers instead. I found a Jewish barber who operates out of his home who charges $10. But when I went to a baal teshuva yeshiva out of town, one of the students cut my hair for about half that price. I'm between full-time jobs, so I want to economize. Now that I'm not in yeshivah anymore, can I still somehow go to a yeshivishe barber? :) If so, how can I find one in my city?

Thanks in advance.

#2 Shaina

Shaina

Resident Phlebotomist

• Members
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 08:51 PM

Be grateful you're not a woman and don't have to pay $50 to cut your hair or $35 just to straighten it.
Posted Image

#3 unforgettableid

unforgettableid

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 08:56 PM

True :) IIRC the Chinatown hair salons advertise womens' haircuts for under $10, though I couldn't tell you if the quality of their womens' cuts is good or not.

#4 Bet Chesed

Bet Chesed

Gabbai

• Members
  • 828 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 08:57 PM

Good question. Unfortunately I don't know. My right hand combined with my wahl is my barber
Blessed be all

#5 Kalashnikover_Rebbe

Kalashnikover_Rebbe

fine, nice looking, batampte Ben Torah

• Members
  • 26,049 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 02:46 AM

I've never met a yeshivishe barber...
[/flirting]

#6 Dan

Dan

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 05:44 AM

Yeah, find your local yeshivish yeshiva, and ask them who the haircut guy is.. regular price is $5.00
כלל זה יהא נקוט בידך: מי שאינו רואה את המקום [=ה'] בכל מקום, אינו רואה בשום מקום
איפה נמצא אלוקים? בכל מקום שנותנים לו להיכנס
-Kotzker

נישט אלעס וואס מען טראכט דארף מען זאגען, נישט אלעס וואס מען זאגט דארף מען שרייבען, נישט אלעס וואס מען שרייבט דארף מען דרוקען און נישט אלעס וואס מען דרוקט דארף מען ליינען!
-R' Salanter

יש בן חורין שרוחו רוח של עבד, ויש עבד שרוחו מלאה חירות; הנאמן לעצמיותו בן חורין הוא, ומי שכל חייו הם רק במה שטוב ויפה בעיני אחרים הוא עבד
-R' Kook

#7 starwolf

starwolf

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 07:07 AM

One can only imagine the options list.

1/2 inch
3/4 inch
1 inch

Payos:
Short square
Short pointy
Twist-behind the ear
Long-and-loose
The full curler treatment

That oughtta do it.

Yeah, find your local yeshivish yeshiva, and ask them who the haircut guy is.. regular price is $5.00

As opposed to a non-yeshivish yeshiva?

הַתְקַשֵּׁר מַעֲדַנּוֹת כִּימָה אוֹ-מֹשְׁכוֹת כְּסִיל תְּפַתֵּחַ

doubt not through the ages one increasing purpose runs, and the thoughts of men are widened with the process of the suns.

#8 LoveToLaugh

LoveToLaugh

Huh?

• Members
  • 5,340 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 10:39 PM

Chinese haircutting are the cheapest for sure. Don't know about guys, but for women, I found that they didn't know how to handle my hair. I found the Hispanic ladies were the best for that. When i discovered a Chinese hairplace that employed a great Latin woman, I knew I hit the jackpot. This was 4 years ago, but it was a grand sum of $10 to get my thick, frizzy hair washed, styled and blown :). Memories :)
God, grant us the...
Serenity to accept things we cannot change,
Courage to change the things we can, and the
Wisdom to know the difference
Patience for the things that take time
Appreciation for all that we have, and
Tolerance for those with different struggles
Freedom to live beyond the limitations of our past ways, the
Ability to feel your love for us and our love for each other and the
Strength to get up and try again even when we feel it is hopeless.

#9 unforgettableid

unforgettableid

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 01:55 PM

I've never walked into a yeshiva looking for a barber before, so please bear with me as I ask some more questions. :)

1. Who do I ask: should I just ask a random student?

2. Must it be a postsecondary yeshiva, or is a high-school-age yeshiva also fine?

3. Must it be a yeshiva with a dorm, or is a day yeshiva fine?

#10 Snag

Snag

הבל יפצה פי

• Banned
  • 11,108 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 03:20 PM

One can only imagine the options list.

you'd actually be surprised at the variety of stylish haircuts yeshiva barbers can do - within yeshivish parameters, of course.
"Spiritual wants and instincts are as various in the human family as are physical appetites, complexions, and features, and a man is only at his best, morally, when he is equipped with the religious garment whose color and shape and size most nicely accommodate themselves to the spiritual complexion, angularities, and stature of the individual who wears it."

"The despotism of heaven is the one absolutely perfect government. An earthly despotism would be the absolutely perfect earthly government, if the conditions were the same; namely, the despot the perfectest individual of the human race, and his lease of life perpetual. But as a perishable perfect man must die, and leave his despotism in the hands of an imperfect successor, an earthly despotism is not merely a bad form of government, it is the worst form that is possible."

-Mark Twain

#11 Dan

Dan

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 06:39 PM

As opposed to a non-yeshivish yeshiva?

Not sure if you're joking, but if not - yes, opposed to non-yeshivish yeshivas (at least they're not known for having barbers).

I've never walked into a yeshiva looking for a barber before, so please bear with me as I ask some more questions. :)1. Who do I ask: should I just ask a random student?2. Must it be a postsecondary yeshiva, or is a high-school-age yeshiva also fine?3. Must it be a yeshiva with a dorm, or is a day yeshiva fine?

1) Yup.
2) HS also fine.
3) Preferably. If bochurim go home daily, no need for in-house barber.
כלל זה יהא נקוט בידך: מי שאינו רואה את המקום [=ה'] בכל מקום, אינו רואה בשום מקום
איפה נמצא אלוקים? בכל מקום שנותנים לו להיכנס
-Kotzker

נישט אלעס וואס מען טראכט דארף מען זאגען, נישט אלעס וואס מען זאגט דארף מען שרייבען, נישט אלעס וואס מען שרייבט דארף מען דרוקען און נישט אלעס וואס מען דרוקט דארף מען ליינען!
-R' Salanter

יש בן חורין שרוחו רוח של עבד, ויש עבד שרוחו מלאה חירות; הנאמן לעצמיותו בן חורין הוא, ומי שכל חייו הם רק במה שטוב ויפה בעיני אחרים הוא עבד
-R' Kook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users