43 replies to this topic

#21 warren

warren

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,208 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 05:47 PM

Posted Image
image doesn't seem to be showing up so click here.
Poe's law: without a clear indication of the author's intent, it is difficult or impossible to tell the difference between sincere extremism and an exaggerated parody of extremism

If not now, when? Because I have lunch plans.

Purple is indeed very important

The Uncertainty Principle. It proves we can't ever really know... what's going on. So it shouldn't bother you. Not being able to figure anything out. Although you will be responsible for this on the mid-term. - "A Serious Man"

#22 TimeRebbe

TimeRebbe

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,140 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 07:26 PM

The London one is much clearer, but good luck trying to figure out which stop is closest to where you're going. Coming from NYC, it was a cinch to figure out on my first try how/where the different lines go and transferring from one to another, but perhaps people who aren't used to the NYC subway would have a harder time.

Even though I know the NYC subway system pretty well, I'll be the first to admit it's complicated and not well-documented or clear. Thumbs up to Google Maps, though.

NYC? Complicated? Nooooo, cant be! Posted Image But i still can pretty much navigate without a map, i usually do google-transit directions first, then i can follow it with no worries.

Miami is also pretty easy:
Posted Image
Only the blue one (and part of the dark green) actually exists, the rest are proposed/theoretical/humorous
Posted Image

And washington DC is plain confusing, with no landmarks how the heck am i supposed to know which station is where i need to go? And google transit is no good there...
Posted Image
"10 a.m. - We begin our descent. On the way down, Chief of Landfills Thorne informs us that Mount Trashmore contains - I am not making this up - human body parts AND dead whales." -Dave Barry
"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts... for support rather than illumination."
"I guess the problem is that I think most people are idiots (granted, WELL MEANING idiots)" --KR

#23 greentiger

greentiger

look here!

• Members
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 07:35 PM

Jerusalem. It begins (eventually.)

and pigs fly
Treat each day as your last; one day you will be right

If a man stands in the middle of the forest speaking and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

#24 Guest_Melech_*

Guest_Melech_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2010 - 07:37 PM

#25 Xi

Xi

-->

• Banned
  • 6,300 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 07:42 PM

I think it's interesting how similar the layouts are, basically spokes from a centre, with a circle of sorts in the center, other than water barriers. But there aren't really loops outside the city center

All copied from the really famous London one (though none posted so far look nearly as nice). And of course the city centers will have lots of crisscrossing while the outer areas have fewer lines more spread out.
Xi is intimidating, in an endearing sort of way. --Gretchen

#26 Guest_Melech_*

Guest_Melech_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2010 - 07:49 PM

#27 Xi

Xi

-->

• Banned
  • 6,300 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 08:00 PM

Right.
But look at this anomoly in toronto:

http://thelongrunblo...11/ttc-map2.gif

It's the typical spokes going out from the loop at the city center [the U shape at the bottom] however, the anamoly is the horizontal purple line at Sheppard that branches off not as a spoke from the center [I guess analogous to a few forks in the NCY map]. But imagine if the two ends at the top of the yellow line, the U shape, were connected, so it's a complete circle. That would really be unusual.
[There's been talk of it for years].

That's pretty odd. Why do they change colors into blue on the right side? What kind of neighborhood is the purple? Out of curiosity, how many people use the subway system (it doesn't seem to cover that much ground at all)?
London has its Circle Line and another annoying line that is secretly a circle (Northern). But yeah, it would be odd to have a transit system that turned 45º is basically a Ø.

PS Rome's system is the most simple example of the scheme you say goes through most cities -- it's an X.
Posted Image

#28 Guest_Melech_*

Guest_Melech_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2010 - 08:26 PM

#29 Xi

Xi

-->

• Banned
  • 6,300 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 08:34 PM

The blue line is a later addition. It's not really a subway, it's a rapid transit line, and it doesn't use subway cars, it uses something else.
http://en.wikipedia..../Scarborough_RT
but i've never actually been there on that line.

The purple horizontal line at the top [the north end] is also a later addition. It's another line that was more recently added to go east-west. Apparently it's a stupid line.

OK. OK. Guess it makes sense then.

You're right, that it doesn't cover that much ground-- it's basically one line going east west, and then the U that runs north to south and then back north again. But the bus system is excellent. I guess it's meant as a backbone to the bus system.

So subway is a bit more than a third of ridership, while half is bus, or well over half is bus if you include streetcars as buses, and even if you include RT as subway.

But that's the way the city is laid out -- you go north south, or east west, more or less a grid.

So followup questions: Are most people close to a subway line? By backbone do you mean that people take a bus to the subway?

#30 Guest_Melech_*

Guest_Melech_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2010 - 08:37 PM

#31 Xi

Xi

-->

• Banned
  • 6,300 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 08:38 PM

I'm not sure.

Yes. You take the bus to the subway, and then go downtown by subway. Or stop part way and get on the bus from the subway.

Thanks. I will remember this for my trip to Toronto.

#32 Guest_Melech_*

Guest_Melech_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2010 - 08:39 PM

#33 cynic

cynic

Godol Hador

• Banned
  • 6,642 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 08:40 PM

It also depends on when/why the system started. In NYC, most of the lines were originally streetcar lines to Manhattan, and as the years progressed more lines were added to the outer areas. (That is why there is only one line in the entire system that does not go to Manhattan.)

#34 Xi

Xi

-->

• Banned
  • 6,300 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 08:43 PM

I'll drive ya. Better yet, you can borrow my car; I hate driving.

I can't drive. :blush: But that's sweet of you to offer.

It also depends on when/why the system started. In NYC, most of the lines were originally streetcar lines to Manhattan, and as the years progressed more lines were added to the outer areas. (That is why there is only one line in the entire system that does not go to Manhattan.)

Good point.

#35 NY-LON

NY-LON

Toddler Chaser

• Members
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 07:42 AM

The Northern Line is not a circle at all. It's actually several lines. If you travel it, the pattern is clear:

Edgware - Camden Town
High Barnet - Camden Town
At Camden, the lines merge and split into Charing Cross and Bank branches
Camden - Kennington via Bank
Camden - Kennington via Charing Cross
Both branches go through Euston but do not touch and use separate platforms: this is why if you want the Victoria line, you get a Bank train.
and finally, Kennington-Morden. A lot of Charing Cross trains terminate at Kennington to avoid duplicating the service from Kennington to Morden, and doing it all on one branch enables faster service on the other one because the Kennington merge is a bottleneck.

There have been proposals to split the line completely and abolish the crossover at Camden. As it is, 2/3 of High Barnet trains go via Bank and 2/3 of Edgware trains go via Charing Cross. If a split were realized, throughput would go from 22 tph to 32 because the merges and crossovers slow service substantially. However, it requires a complete rebuilding of Camden Town station, so it won't happen soon.

The London map really is pretty practical once you get the hang of it--a geographical map would be a nightmare there.
Remember, correlation does not equal causation.
Coincidence does not imply correlation.

Warning: ever-present baby may result in mis-reading of posts.

#36 politico

politico

• Banned
  • 11,413 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 10:55 AM

No system awesomer than Chicago's "L" :wub:

you mean the system with the same station name appearing twice on the same line? :thumbsdown:
zinh.

#37 Shaina

Shaina

Resident Phlebotomist

• Members
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 01:04 PM

you mean the system with the same station name appearing twice on the same line? :thumbsdown:

That's for Chicago elitists to feel good about themselves when they don't get lost (similar to NYers who understand all the complicated weekend service changes).
Posted Image

#38 Guest_Melech_*

Guest_Melech_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2010 - 01:13 PM

#39 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 02:14 PM

That's bizarre.

By the way, they passed a law here that you can't have two streets with the same name, such as Clinton Street and Clinton Avenue, because of potential confusion with emergency response.

That wouldn't work in Queens.

Pinchas is right - micha

For the record, IRL he is a really nice guy! - HappyDuck, Z"L

#40 Shaina

Shaina

Resident Phlebotomist

• Members
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 02:17 PM

That wouldn't work in Queens.

:biggrin:
Posted Image