• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 greentiger

greentiger

look here!

• Members
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 06:00 PM

I think my laptop got a small hit and now the screen just shows white when its on. Is there any way to fix this?
Treat each day as your last; one day you will be right

If a man stands in the middle of the forest speaking and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

#2 ookamikun

ookamikun

Abu Suleiman

• Members
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 06:35 PM

Does it show anything at all when turning on?
Try connecting a monitor.
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't
blog.ookamikun.com
@ookamikun

Jury Duty
Just because it's spellchecked, doesn't mean it's correct.

#3 greentiger

greentiger

look here!

• Members
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 07:48 PM

just white light. I dont have a monitor... Ill just try to look for a repair guy. Besides the screen, the fan is gone, the keys are mainly missing and the cd drive got pulled out. :(

If a man stands in the middle of the forest speaking and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

#4 mosheshmeal

mosheshmeal

Verisimilitudinous

• Members
  • 11,141 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 07:52 PM

I think my laptop got a small hit and now the screen just shows white when its on. Is there any way to fix this?

Sounds like you just need to snort away the cocaine.

'I'm a woman, Mary. I can be as contrary as I choose.'

~ Violet, Dowager Countess of Grantham

#5 Bezalel

Bezalel

Stud muffin

• Members
  • 3,522 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 08:00 PM

BD"E

#6 Kalashnikover_Rebbe

Kalashnikover_Rebbe

fine, nice looking, batampte Ben Torah

• Members
  • 26,049 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 09:34 PM

just white light. I dont have a monitor... Ill just try to look for a repair guy. Besides the screen, the fan is gone, the keys are mainly missing and the cd drive got pulled out. :(

:unsure:

So what's left???
[/flirting]

#7 greentiger

greentiger

look here!

• Members
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:04 AM

:unsure:

So what's left???

The casing :)

So i checked out replacement parts on ebay. Assuming its not a problem with the motherboard, i can buy a new lcd for $100, a new keyboard for $10 and a dvd player for $15. The installation does not look very complicated so i may just try this.

#8 Bezalel

Bezalel

Stud muffin

• Members
  • 3,522 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:15 AM

So i checked out replacement parts on ebay. Assuming its not a problem with the motherboard, i can buy a new lcd for $100, a new keyboard for $10 and a dvd player for $15. The installation does not look very complicated so i may just try this.

Are these items broken or missing, or did a wire just come loose?

#9 greentiger

greentiger

look here!

• Members
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 02:26 PM

Are these items broken or missing, or did a wire just come loose?

Screen - broken or wire loose
Keyboard - partially broken
Dvd - missing
Ventilator - broken or wire loose
Battery - broken and missing

I know it sounds terrible but really aside from these hardware issues, its a great computer and hasn't had much wear. The battery was defective from dell, the keys were picked out by my kid, and the dvd came out when i bumped into iiit once. The only real issue till now was the vent and till the screen just broke overnight, everything else was fine.

#10 lyric

lyric

grannylicious

• Members
  • 7,872 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 03:36 PM

Dvd - missing

I know it sounds terrible but really aside from these hardware issues, its a great computer and hasn't had much wear. The battery was defective from dell, the keys were picked out by my kid, and the dvd came out when i bumped into iiit once. The only real issue till now was the vent and till the screen just broke overnight, everything else was fine.

Sounds in great shape!
Seen on News Billboard: Osama bin Laden is dead. What Kate was wearing when she heard the news...

#11 Bezalel

Bezalel

Stud muffin

• Members
  • 3,522 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 04:11 PM

Sounds in great shape!

Indeed. I think I would look to buy a new laptop rather than trying to repair one that has so many problems.

#12 greentiger

greentiger

look here!

• Members
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 05:30 PM

sigh.. This is the advice i keep getting and in theory i agree, but the fact is that i rarely even use the laptop to begin with so i feel silly investing in a whole new one. I keep it under my bed and take it out maybe once a week for my youtube fix. A 500 new computer would hardly justify that. Why fix this then? Because if i could figure out how to get it back to useable condition for under 200 bucks, then it may be worth a try.

Sounds in great shape!

It does look horrible now, but most the problems are small external things.

#13 greentiger

greentiger

look here!

• Members
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 05:41 PM

okay, so the real issue is this. The computer was my husbands. He got it as a gift from a few family members. He spent months researching the best one to buy and ended up with this. Needless to say, he took great care of it and it was in perfect condition when we got married. Well shortly after the kids came along and due to my not taking care, the computer got torn apart slowly but surely. Now my husband has not said a thing till now, but i know it bothers him and well i don't blame him. The screen breaking renders the computer pretty much useless and since both the kids and the computer were in my care while this happened, it is my responsibility. Now i would love to run out this very minute and buy my husband the best computer on the market, there is no possible way to do that with his hard earned money.
Does that make more sense?

#14 Bezalel

Bezalel

Stud muffin

• Members
  • 3,522 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 05:54 PM

Does that make more sense?

None whatsoever. It's a computer that is several years old. Even if you hadn't abused it, the laptop would still be obsolete.

You don't spend good money to fix up an old computer. It sounds as though you don't need a laptop, so just forget about it.

If you actually had a use for a laptop but didn't have much money, you could probably find the same model on E-Bay for not much money. But there's no point in buying a replacement when you aren't going to use it.

#15 Rachel

Rachel

It's Winterlicious!

• Members
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:51 PM

Dvd - missing

“Apart from that Mrs Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?”
Authentic jews work in climate controlled offices. Physical exertion is for goyim. - Melech

I think that should be the answer to everything on H.com. It was God's plan that these kids should end up in prison in Japan, just as it was God's plan that certain 8th graders shouldn't be accepted to either of the two schools they applied to. And also that a thirteen-year old should have a kid and that certain people should dream of sex with the president. It solves all problems with no need for discussion. - Xi

#16 Amber

Amber

ABG

• Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:32 PM

My Dell laptop did the same thing a few months ago. The problem was the motherboard which cost me about $600 to fix. 3 months later the battery stopped charging (conveniently, right after my warranty expired) and now I think there's a short somewhere because it's making a really noisy, fuzzy, electric sound. It's only 2.5 years old and cost about $2,300 (before repairs).

I_hate_Dell.

#17 moe says

moe says

very tans

• Members
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:37 PM

...and cost about $2,300 (before repairs).

can you please explain this?
יושב בשמים ישחק השׁם ילעג למו

#18 Guest_Shuli_*

Guest_Shuli_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:39 PM

#19 Amber

Amber

ABG

• Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 12:00 AM

can you please explain this?

What needs esplainin', Lucy?

Yes, Shuli. Thanks for showing me the light.

#20 ookamikun

ookamikun

Abu Suleiman

• Members
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 12:34 AM

I have a Dell Vostro 1000. Bought it for $400, later upgraded memory to 2GB. Have been using it for 2 years and no problems of any kind.
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't
blog.ookamikun.com
@ookamikun

Jury Duty
Just because it's spellchecked, doesn't mean it's correct.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users