• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#21 lyric

lyric

grannylicious

• Members
  • 7,872 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 12:41 AM

okay, so the real issue is this. The computer was my husbands. He got it as a gift from a few family members. He spent months researching the best one to buy and ended up with this. Needless to say, he took great care of it and it was in perfect condition when we got married. Well shortly after the kids came along and due to my not taking care, the computer got torn apart slowly but surely. Now my husband has not said a thing till now, but i know it bothers him and well i don't blame him. The screen breaking renders the computer pretty much useless and since both the kids and the computer were in my care while this happened, it is my responsibility. Now i would love to run out this very minute and buy my husband the best computer on the market, there is no possible way to do that with his hard earned money.
Does that make more sense?

I just don't get how you can use a laptop with most of the keys missing.

Now you have told us this computer was your husband's, it makes it so much worse. If you are slapdash about your own property and allow your children access to it to break it, that's your problem, but a gift to him, lovingly given, lovingly researched and cared for, that you allowed your kids to smash, is far more serious a misdemeanour. When I had small kids my computers were totally off limits to them. MH wasn't into computers then, and only uses them because he has to now; it's his seforim that are his precious things and his study was absolutely out of bounds to small children who delighted in ripping up any books at ground level.

If I had destroyed something (or allowed something to be destroyed) that was important to my husband, I would have been so ashamed and he would have been so angry with me.

I was never in a position that I had absolutely no money of my own; I always wrote, or worked part time, or had some small income, and I would have put every penny of that towards a new laptop for him. I presume you aren't in such a position that you could contribute?
Seen on News Billboard: Osama bin Laden is dead. What Kate was wearing when she heard the news...

#22 greentiger

greentiger

look here!

• Members
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 02:03 AM

I just don't get how you can use a laptop with most of the keys missing.

Now you have told us this computer was your husband's, it makes it so much worse. If you are slapdash about your own property and allow your children access to it to break it, that's your problem, but a gift to him, lovingly given, lovingly researched and cared for, that you allowed your kids to smash, is far more serious a misdemeanour. When I had small kids my computers were totally off limits to them. MH wasn't into computers then, and only uses them because he has to now; it's his seforim that are his precious things and his study was absolutely out of bounds to small children who delighted in ripping up any books at ground level.

If I had destroyed something (or allowed something to be destroyed) that was important to my husband, I would have been so ashamed and he would have been so angry with me.

I was never in a position that I had absolutely no money of my own; I always wrote, or worked part time, or had some small income, and I would have put every penny of that towards a new laptop for him. I presume you aren't in such a position that you could contribute?

(On screen keyboard)

Finally someone gets the point. Yes, i am ashamed. Sure i can excuse myself by saying its a few years old anyways but thats really not an excuse because it would be still working fine. The fact that till now my husband never said anything just shows how tolerant he is, but does not absolve me of responsibility.To be fair, it was only the keys and screen ruined by the kids, and well i broke the dvd myself. If i could get the computer functioning again its already half the problem. If i would go spend my husbands money now to replace a new expensive gift, well, that would be beyond tacky. It would be downright rude.

I worked early on in our marriage, but any of that money went to the basics because he was in kolel then. Same as to all the odd jobs. I have a big lump sum i came into the marriage from working before but don't have access to it now. I plan on doing some babysitting from september, but really now, how long till i can buy a computer with that? At this point the best i can do is try and repair it on my own.
Treat each day as your last; one day you will be right

If a man stands in the middle of the forest speaking and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

#23 lyric

lyric

grannylicious

• Members
  • 7,872 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 08:04 AM

A few suggestions.

Ask around; people upgrading tend to not know what to do with their perfectly workable, just last year's laptop that may be a little slower than the latest. You might be able to pick it up for next to nothing or even nothing if you :eyelash: look pathetic enough and tell them how you ruined your husband's treasured possession.

Seek out the nearest spotty looking youth; they usually LOVE to try and fix computers. Offer them a meal or something if they succeed.
Seen on News Billboard: Osama bin Laden is dead. What Kate was wearing when she heard the news...

#24 Bezalel

Bezalel

Stud muffin

• Members
  • 3,522 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 08:38 AM

If you . . . allow your children access to it . . . that you allowed your kids to smash

Well-behaved children belong to the father; poorly-behaved children belong to the mother.

Can the exact same model laptop be found on E-Bay for $200?

#25 lyric

lyric

grannylicious

• Members
  • 7,872 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 09:10 AM

Well-behaved children belong to the father; poorly-behaved children belong to the mother.

In English, the word "your" is both singular, and plural.

#26 greentiger

greentiger

look here!

• Members
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 09:19 AM

So really i'm considering this or what lyric suggested, but once i'm buying used how do i know it won't suddenly break and there i am back at square one again. At least with the computer i have already i know what to expect.

Hey lyric, you upgrading to a new computer any time soon? ;)

If a man stands in the middle of the forest speaking and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

#27 greentiger

greentiger

look here!

• Members
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 09:25 AM

Seek out the nearest spotty looking youth; they usually LOVE to try and fix computers. Offer them a meal or something if they succeed.

I already got an offer to fix it for $200. I assume thats besides the parts. Tbh, i'm not scared to do it myself. Dell has very detailed instructions on their website on how to replace parts. I tried it yesterday and it was suprisingly simple. So really all i'm looking at is the cost of parts. The screen is the biggie obviously, but the rest are next to nothing if i'd do it myself.

#28 moe says

moe says

very tans

• Members
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 09:35 AM

What needs esplainin', Lucy?

does it look like this?
Posted Image
יושב בשמים ישחק השׁם ילעג למו

#29 lyric

lyric

grannylicious

• Members
  • 7,872 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 09:36 AM

So really i'm considering this or what lyric suggested, but once i'm buying used how do i know it won't suddenly break and there i am back at square one again. At least with the computer i have already i know what to expect.

Hey lyric, you upgrading to a new computer any time soon? ;)

My kids are always on the scrounge for my last laptop. Trouble is, a year ago I was burgled, and had all my laptops (plus an ipod and a TV) stolen at once, so I bought new ones then, on insurance, so they are all pretty new.

#30 Bezalel

Bezalel

Stud muffin

• Members
  • 3,522 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 09:56 AM

In English, the word "your" is both singular, and plural.

Sometimes I forget that I'm not still in the South, where we would say "y'all's children."

Anyway, I'm prepared to change my mind, as I realize that Green Tiger wants people to agree with her.

Therefore, I say that it is clear that Green Tiger was horribly irresponsible. Having borne children for her husband and having accepted the role of being their primary caregiver, she was therefore responsible for protecting everything her husband cared about from the children's damaging fingers. She should immediately repair the damage, paying whatever price is required, to the point of denying herself any and all luxuries (such as food) for as long as it takes to raise the funds. She should also probably scourge herself with a belt for her sins and shortcomings.

#31 greentiger

greentiger

look here!

• Members
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 10:19 AM

Sometimes I forget that I'm not still in the South, where we would say "y'all's children."

Anyway, I'm prepared to change my mind, as I realize that Green Tiger wants people to agree with her.

Therefore, I say that it is clear that Green Tiger was horribly irresponsible. Having borne children for her husband and having accepted the role of being their primary caregiver, she was therefore responsible for protecting everything her husband cared about from the children's damaging fingers. She should immediately repair the damage, paying whatever price is required, to the point of denying herself any and all luxuries (such as food) for as long as it takes to raise the funds. She should also probably scourge herself with a belt for her sins and shortcomings.

:lol: i just need easy suggestions how to fix this but i see there are none. My local ebay equivalent only has broken laptops in the 200 range but i found one similar to the one we had that didn't state its broken for 260. I bid so we'll see what happens. No doubt i'll be outbid.

#32 greentiger

greentiger

look here!

• Members
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 02:53 PM

4 minutes left. $220. I hope its not total [email protected]

#33 greentiger

greentiger

look here!

• Members
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 03:03 PM

darn! I have no access to my email from my phone so i have no way of knowing if i won!
(not like anyone is even following this thread or even cares... but i'm allowed to talk to myself..)

#34 little miss trouble

little miss trouble

Gabbai

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 03:56 PM

Do you know yet?

#35 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 04:05 PM

Um, why don't you just get a netbook?

Pinchas is right - micha

For the record, IRL he is a really nice guy! - HappyDuck, Z"L

#36 greentiger

greentiger

look here!

• Members
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 04:12 PM

yeah i won. I checked my account. Ack i'm not even sure if i want it!

Pinchas, thanks. Could you not have posted that half an hour ago?? What are the advantages of a netbook?

#37 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 04:29 PM

yeah i won. I checked my account. Ack i'm not even sure if i want it!

Pinchas, thanks. Could you not have posted that half an hour ago?? What are the advantages of a netbook?

Didn't see the thread... it's cheap and does what you need it to do... you can get one for $200... if you want to be fancy you can get a simm card and surf from anywhere (but of course that costs much more). It's also extremely light and tiny (can carry it anywhere) and the battery lasts like 5 - 10 hours. And of course they have built in webcams...

Pinchas is right - micha

#38 greentiger

greentiger

look here!

• Members
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 04:39 PM

$200 new? Ouch.

#39 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 01:34 AM

$200 new? Ouch.

Yeah... here's a nice one for a little bit more... http://www.amazon.co...k/dp/B0030LTLRO

Pinchas is right - micha

#40 bigtoe

bigtoe

ùbúntú

• Members
  • 2,562 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 04:09 AM

GT- How's the new one you won? or when will it arrive?
Forget science, I'm donating my body to magic

-Erin Brown/Threadless

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users