• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#41 greentiger

greentiger

look here!

• Members
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 04:44 AM

i need to pay before he sends it. I'm not sure bec the description was in a different language. Yes, i am crazy.
Treat each day as your last; one day you will be right

If a man stands in the middle of the forest speaking and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

#42 bigtoe

bigtoe

ùbúntú

• Members
  • 2,562 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 05:05 AM

I need to pay before he sends it. I'm not sure bec the description was in a different language. Yes, i am crazy.

Ebay has guidelines set up in case its a lemon. Paypal does too (not sure how you're paying).
Forget science, I'm donating my body to magic

-Erin Brown/Threadless

#43 greentiger

greentiger

look here!

• Members
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 05:58 AM

its not ebay. Its a bidding site in my local country. Ebay is not big here. I pay by bank transfer or through the post office. Not sure about the rules but if i don't pay within 14 days then he can't send it.

If a man stands in the middle of the forest speaking and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

#44 greentiger

greentiger

look here!

• Members
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 06:10 AM

dell inspiron 4600. Google tells me its a desktop?

#45 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 06:38 AM

dell inspiron 4600. Google tells me its a desktop?

There is no such thing.

http://en.wikipedia....i/Dell_Inspiron

Inspiron is a laptop but the 4600 model doesn't exist yet.

There is a Dimension 4600 and that's a desktop.

Pinchas is right - micha

For the record, IRL he is a really nice guy! - HappyDuck, Z"L

#46 greentiger

greentiger

look here!

• Members
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 07:49 AM

strange. Theres a pic of a laptop. Looks like a dell inspiron but all the rest are random screen shots.

#47 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 08:13 AM

strange. Theres a pic of a laptop. Looks like a dell inspiron but all the rest are random screen shots.

Do you self a favor - show it to a native hebrew speaker. who knows what you are really paying for?

Pinchas is right - micha

#48 greentiger

greentiger

look here!

• Members
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 08:21 AM

Do you self a favor - show it to a native hebrew speaker. who knows what you are really paying for?

I speak hebrew. Its in german. I understand enough that its working and the battery doesn't have a long life. Theres not much more information there besides there not being a cd drive. I'll have to call up the seller if i want to know more. Unless i missed something which is also possible.

#49 greentiger

greentiger

look here!

• Members
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 04:50 PM

the seller just emailed me. There was a typo in the listing and its a 9400. Google tells me thats the canadian version of our current model. The seller seems nervous about a bad rating or that i'll make a fuss over the false information. I'm still not sure what to do but if i want to back out it seems like its possible.

#50 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 05:51 PM

the seller just emailed me. There was a typo in the listing and its a 9400. Google tells me thats the canadian version of our current model. The seller seems nervous about a bad rating or that i'll make a fuss over the false information. I'm still not sure what to do but if i want to back out it seems like its possible.

From the wiki link I posted:

Inspiron 9400/E1705

The top-of-the line Inspiron models in 2006, the Inspiron E1705 and Inspiron 9400 (non-US models) are essentially the same laptop but with a few minor differences in configuration. The Inspiron 9400 was basically a more up-to-date, redesigned version of the Inspiron 9300 with a few extra added features such as the Dell MediaDirect button which was left of the LED indicator lights next to the power button.

The system had a starting price of $999, since it was meant to be used as a portable media center rather than a gaming laptop, and it was also using a new memory technology called DDR2. The Inspiron E1705 tends to run hot on its underside, which might be the reason the graphics processor on some units overheats and burns out within a year because of inadequate cooling. This problem can sometimes be resolved by re-heating the solder joints under the GPU with the use of a hot air gun. On most accounts of users who have experienced this problem, it occurred after the warranty expired.

Note that while this model only officially supports 2 x 1 GB dual channel DDR2 it is possible to use 2 x 2 GB for a total of 4 GB. However you'll be limited to just over 3 GB on most 32 bit operating systems including Windows XP.

* Processors: Intel Core Duo T2250, or Intel Core 2 Duo T5200, T7200, or T7400.
* Memory: 512 MB, 1 GB, or 2 GB of shared dual channel DDR2 SDRAM @ 667 MHz.
* Chipset: Intel GM65 or PM965 Express Chipset.
* Graphics Processor: integrated Intel GMA 950 graphics, nVidia GeForce Go 7800 (7900 GS in newer models) or ATI Mobility Radeon X1400.
* LCD Display: 17" widescreen with 1440 × 900 resolution, 17" widescreen with 1440 × 900 resolution and TrueLife, or 17" UltraSharp widescreen with 1920 × 1200 resolution and TrueLife.
* Hard Drive: 80 GB, 160 GB or 250 GB SATA at 5400 RPM or 7200 RPM.
* Optical Drive: 8X tray-load DVD+/-RW drive, 8X tray-load dual-layer DVD+/-RW .
* Battery: 6-cell (56 Whr), or 9-cell (85 Whr) Lithium Ion battery.
* Wi-Fi Card: Dell Wireless 1500 802.11n mini-card or Intel Pro/Wireless 3945 802.11a/g mini-card.
* Bluetooth: Dell Wireless Internal 350.
* I/O Ports: 1 Fast Ethernet port, 1 56K modem, 6 USB ports, 1 Firewire 400 port, 1 5-in-1 memory card reader, 1 Express Card slot, 1 VGA output, 1 S-Video port, 1 DVI output, 1 headphone jack, 1 microphone jack, and 1 power adapter port.

Pinchas is right - micha

#51 greentiger

greentiger

look here!

• Members
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 08:01 PM

From the wiki link I posted:

Thanks.

#52 greentiger

greentiger

look here!

• Members
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 03:51 AM

it appears that the hardware is all working fine. The problem is that the screen is stuck on the "you may now shut down your computer" sign and it won't go away.
Would i be able to fix this or do i give up?

#53 greentiger

greentiger

look here!

• Members
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:22 PM

my broken laptop has been sitting in my closet since this happened, and i just took it out to see if it would work on an external monitor. Lo and behold the screen works again. For 10 minutes. Then it goes white again and then black.
Not like i got any helpful technical advice before, but if anyone has any idea what this means, maybe you can help me out...?
It seems to me the fact that the screen was working for a few minutes would mean its not the screen thats the problem, correct? I opened up the computer completely and cleaned out the fans in case it was overheating but that hasn't helped. Any other ideas? I have almost nothing to lose at this point...

#54 Amber

Amber

ABG

• Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:35 PM

My Dell laptop did the same thing a few months ago. The problem was the motherboard which cost me about $600 to fix. 3 months later the battery stopped charging (conveniently, right after my warranty expired) and now I think there's a short somewhere because it's making a really noisy, fuzzy, electric sound. It's only 2.5 years old and cost about $2,300 (before repairs).

I_hate_Dell.

What the ###### was I thinking.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users