#2 David F

David F

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 06:01 AM

Kings I 7:36:

ויפתח על הלחת ידתיה ועל מסגרתיה כרובים אריות ותמרת כמער איש וליות סביב

Both Rashi and Radak explain the word מער as meaning דיבוק, being pressed to each other - which in Bereishit 2:24 means what you've been asking about. Radak brings a source to this reading from Isaiah 22:6, and see also the Mishna in Yevamot 6:1 (page 53b in the Bavli).
They both explain the word לויות as refering to the female cherub (well, this is the source for the whole male-female interpretation).

#3 Guest_Melech_*

Guest_Melech_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2010 - 07:21 AM

#4 warren

warren

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,208 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 08:08 AM

The same word appears in Rambam, Hil. Issurei Biah 1:10, meaning the start of penetration: המכניס ראש העטרה בלבד הוא הנקרא מערה מלשון את מקורה הערה

The reference is to Vayikra 20:18. Rashi there connects ערה with ערוה
Poe's law: without a clear indication of the author's intent, it is difficult or impossible to tell the difference between sincere extremism and an exaggerated parody of extremism

If not now, when? Because I have lunch plans.

Purple is indeed very important

The Uncertainty Principle. It proves we can't ever really know... what's going on. So it shouldn't bother you. Not being able to figure anything out. Although you will be responsible for this on the mid-term. - "A Serious Man"

#5 Guest_Melech_*

Guest_Melech_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2010 - 08:24 AM

#6 moe says

moe says

very tans

• Members
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 08:37 AM

You guys are great, thank you.

I emailed these sources to the rabbi I asked yesterday who didn't know off hand.

ooh, nice. you got him.

I would add that l'anius daati, this explanation seems to be the simple explanation for the gemara which you quoted. What else would sufficiently explain the surprise of the plunderers, and the relevance of the pasuk?

also, as an additional question, why were the kruvim locked in embrace at the time the beis hamikdash was nechrav? I thought they miraculously turned away from one another at times when klal yisrael lost favor.
יושב בשמים ישחק השׁם ילעג למו

#7 Guest_Melech_*

Guest_Melech_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2010 - 08:43 AM

#8 moe says

moe says

very tans

• Members
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 08:45 AM

update: he thanked me for the sources. (I credited you guys upthread)*

that's not the only way to delay the geulah, iirc, melech.
יושב בשמים ישחק השׁם ילעג למו

#9 Guest_Melech_*

Guest_Melech_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2010 - 08:48 AM

#10 Snag

Snag

הבל יפצה פי

• Banned
  • 11,108 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 10:00 AM

see also sefer yetzirah 1:3 ברית המעור
"Spiritual wants and instincts are as various in the human family as are physical appetites, complexions, and features, and a man is only at his best, morally, when he is equipped with the religious garment whose color and shape and size most nicely accommodate themselves to the spiritual complexion, angularities, and stature of the individual who wears it."

"The despotism of heaven is the one absolutely perfect government. An earthly despotism would be the absolutely perfect earthly government, if the conditions were the same; namely, the despot the perfectest individual of the human race, and his lease of life perpetual. But as a perishable perfect man must die, and leave his despotism in the hands of an imperfect successor, an earthly despotism is not merely a bad form of government, it is the worst form that is possible."

-Mark Twain

#11 Rentsy

Rentsy

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 3,005 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 11:02 AM

"All that honored her, despised her, because they have seen her nakedness."

(Direct textual evidence from the Gemara itself.)
רמב"ם הלכות תשובה פרק העשירי, הלכה ב

העובד מאהבה - עוסק בתורה ובמצוות והולך במתיבות החוכמה לא מפני דבר בעולם, לא מפני יראת הרעה ולא כדי לירש הטובה, אלא עושה האמת מפני שהוא אמת

הלכה ג

אהבה גדולה יתרה רבה עזה עד מאד, עד שתהא נפשו קשורה באהבת השם ... וכל שיר השירים משל הוא לענין זה

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users