Skirt Shells

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_miri_*

Guest_miri_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2010 - 09:21 AM

You know how it's impossible to find dresses that aren't at least three inches above the knee?
Frum stores have started selling what I call "skirt shells," which are lightweight, tight skirts that can be worn under these dresses. This way you don't have to alter every single new dress that you buy, and the skirts have minimal bulk. Similar to a regular shell, except for your knees.

Girls end up looking like they're wearing a dress over a regular outfit. I just cannot get used to this look. Anyone else bothered by it?

#2 FYI

FYI

Naive or Clueless?

• Members
  • 16,184 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 09:23 AM

I have no idea what you're talking about. Pic?
Many people wish they could change their life, when all they really need to do is change their attitude towards life. - Sharon

#3 Shaina

Shaina

Resident Phlebotomist

• Members
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 09:25 AM

It's awful awful awful.
Posted Image

#4 lyric

lyric

grannylicious

• Members
  • 7,872 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 09:26 AM

I think this is what Rabbi Falk spoke about in London recently (I didn't hear him but my daughter did) about the latest fashion being skirts over skirts. He didn't approve although I can't think why.
Seen on News Billboard: Osama bin Laden is dead. What Kate was wearing when she heard the news...

#5 agent220

agent220

Mommy

• Members
  • 7,142 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 09:27 AM

In most cases, I think it looks ridiculous.
And in many cases, the skirt worn underneath doesn't help much in the coverage department.
When you try to make a statement, all you're really doing is raising questions.

#6 Guest_miri_*

Guest_miri_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2010 - 09:28 AM

I have no idea what you're talking about. Pic?

Funky Frum doesn't have it on their site, and I can't think of anywhere else to look. Just picture a black skirt underneath any mid-thigh dress.

#7 Savannah

Savannah

~*~ pixie smile ~*~

• Members
  • 20,505 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 09:31 AM

You know how it's impossible to find dresses that aren't at least three inches above the knee?
Frum stores have started selling what I call "skirt shells," which are lightweight, tight skirts that can be worn under these dresses. This way you don't have to alter every single new dress that you buy, and the skirts have minimal bulk. Similar to a regular shell, except for your knees.

Girls end up looking like they're wearing a dress over a regular outfit. I just cannot get used to this look. Anyone else bothered by it?

I've never seen it, but the way I'm imagining it, it sounds adorable. I :wub: underskirts. Next stop, petticoats!!

#8 agent220

agent220

Mommy

• Members
  • 7,142 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 09:33 AM

http://tabeez.com/p-...ging-skirt.aspx is the skirt

#9 BroadwayFreak

BroadwayFreak

It's garden season!

• Members
  • 2,515 posts

Someone posted a link to such a thing on imamother a few weeks ago, but I can't remember the site. I did a search, but couldn't find the thread.

ETA: Agent220 found it.
"Evereything in moderation (except beer)."
-Cholentpot

#10 FYI

FYI

Naive or Clueless?

• Members
  • 16,184 posts

they wear that UNDER a regular dress? Do you see it?
Many people wish they could change their life, when all they really need to do is change their attitude towards life. - Sharon

#11 agent220

agent220

Mommy

• Members
  • 7,142 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 09:36 AM

A couple inches of black show under the dress. (However, it's not conducive to covering knees when sitting.)

#12 calvinandhobbes

calvinandhobbes

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 2,527 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 09:38 AM

I think it looks incredibly stupid. Either get a dress that DOES cover your knees, or don't get it.

#13 Savannah

Savannah

~*~ pixie smile ~*~

• Members
  • 20,505 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 09:42 AM

http://tabeez.com/p-59-the-legging-skirt.aspx is the skirt

Oh, that's not what I was imagining. How stupid. Yes, I am sick of this layered look. If a skirt or shirt is not tznius, just don't wear it. Is that so difficult?

#14 agent220

agent220

Mommy

• Members
  • 7,142 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 09:48 AM

BF, I found the thread: http://imamother.com...6429&highlight= which apparently had the same link I found by googling :)

Oh, that's not what I was imagining. How stupid. Yes, I am sick of this layered look. If a skirt or shirt is not tznius, just don't wear it. Is that so difficult?

Does that apply to shirts as well? If something is an open shirt, are you against the look with the shell underneath?

#15 Guest_Melech_*

Guest_Melech_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2010 - 09:49 AM

#16 agent220

agent220

Mommy

• Members
  • 7,142 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 09:50 AM

In my circles, a lot of women/young ladies/girls wear...I don't know what it's called. I guess they are leggings [I don't know that leggings is the right word - they are often black, and tight] that come to...I dunno, the knees? just below the knees? midcalf? ankles? I dunno.
A lot of girls wear long shorts, like basketball-type shorts.

But that's with a skirt over, right? Like for exercising or what not?

We're talking about a "fashionable trend" to dress up on Shabbos in a tight dress that ends mid-thigs and wear a tight skirt underneath that covers from thigh to knee. Very few people can pull it off in a way that makes this actually look dressy, IMNSHO.

#17 FYI

FYI

Naive or Clueless?

• Members
  • 16,184 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 09:52 AM

That's weird. So they wear a dress that barely covers their rear and then this skirt ALSO?

#18 agent220

agent220

Mommy

• Members
  • 7,142 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 09:53 AM

That's weird. So they wear a dress that barely covers their rear and then this skirt ALSO?

Well, sometimes the dress is a bit longer than that, but yes, that's the idea. To extend the hemline with this skirt.

#19 Guest_miri_*

Guest_miri_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2010 - 09:54 AM

Yes, it is difficult. I've tried on SO many dresses this season that don't cover my knees and it's really annoying. I can see why people do it if it's becoming so acceptable within the frum circles. I just keep reminding myself how silly it looks.

#20 Savannah

Savannah

~*~ pixie smile ~*~

• Members
  • 20,505 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 09:54 AM

Does that apply to shirts as well? If something is an open shirt, are you against the look with the shell underneath?

I'm not sure what you mean.

In my circles, a lot of women/young ladies/girls wear...I don't know what it's called. I guess they are leggings [I don't know that leggings is the right word - they are often black, and tight] that come to...I dunno, the knees? just below the knees? midcalf? ankles? I dunno.

Yeah, I've seen that. It's really big in certain communities on Long Island. Black legging to midcalf under a knee-length or slightly shorter denim skirt.

A lot of girls wear long shorts, like basketball-type shorts.

I haven't seen that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users