• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 Xi

Xi

-->

• Banned
  • 6,300 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 05:37 PM

Given the chance to go to either Miami or Amsterdam for a long weekend (including Thursday and Monday), which would you choose?
Xi is intimidating, in an endearing sort of way. --Gretchen

#2 Savannah

Savannah

~*~ pixie smile ~*~

• Members
  • 20,505 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 06:01 PM

Maybe you could post threads with more descriptive titles?

#3 Xi

Xi

-->

• Banned
  • 6,300 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 06:02 PM

No.

#4 mosheshmeal

mosheshmeal

Verisimilitudinous

• Members
  • 11,141 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 06:04 PM

Depends on the time of year.

It also depends on whether you'll have this chance again.

'I'm a woman, Mary. I can be as contrary as I choose.'

~ Violet, Dowager Countess of Grantham

#5 Xi

Xi

-->

• Banned
  • 6,300 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 06:05 PM

March / April.

I'll have both chances again, though not in the next year or two.

But the questions is for the general public, not for myself.

#6 shrigala

shrigala

Gabbai

• Members
  • 731 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 06:12 PM

Depends whether you can/want to go to the beach. My memories of Miami are rather dim, but in this season I would go there just for the heat and beach.

I've been to Amsterdam twice (each time a couple of hours in between the flights) and somehow I feel I've had enough. I find the architecture rather gloomy. Not my favorite in Europe. I've seen the old town so my choice now would be either visiting the museums (except Anne's Frank which I've seen), visiting the modern parts of the city or...partying, which is not really my thing.

I don't regret visiting it though, just to have the experience.

#7 Guest_Shuli_*

Guest_Shuli_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2010 - 06:22 PM

#8 TheDuncePolice

TheDuncePolice

Knows she doesn't know

• Members
  • 12,659 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 06:29 PM

Proud member of the "I don't always wait until I finish reading the thread to respond" club.

Believe me, every heart has its secret sorrows, which the world knows not; and oftentimes we call a man cold when he is only sad. ~ Robert C. Savage

#9 Xi

Xi

-->

• Banned
  • 6,300 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 06:47 PM

I've been to Amsterdam twice (each time a couple of hours in between the flights) and somehow I feel I've had enough. I find the architecture rather gloomy. Not my favorite in Europe. I've seen the old town so my choice now would be either visiting the museums (except Anne's Frank which I've seen), visiting the modern parts of the city or...partying, which is not really my thing.

So, is the airport as amazing as the Dutch people like to make out? And aren't museums > beach?

Montreal. And take the money you saved to go see Armin have a good time.

That will happen either way.

Amsterdam. No doubt.

Even if you're paying? Is it worth the surcharge?

#10 International

International

Shtark

• Members
  • 392 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 06:55 PM

Amsterdam.

Miami is so overrated - Blah. (I used to fly there every so often for business, grew tired after 3 visits)

#11 TheDuncePolice

TheDuncePolice

Knows she doesn't know

• Members
  • 12,659 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 06:56 PM

Proud member of the "I don't always wait until I finish reading the thread to respond" club.

Believe me, every heart has its secret sorrows, which the world knows not; and oftentimes we call a man cold when he is only sad. ~ Robert C. Savage

#12 Xi

Xi

-->

• Banned
  • 6,300 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 06:58 PM

Amsterdam.

Miami is so overrated - Blah. (I used to fly there every so often for business, grew tired after 3 visits)

(But it did take three visits?)

Me paying?

Not everyone is lucky enough to have rich contacts who fly them around the world.

#13 Kalashnikover_Rebbe

Kalashnikover_Rebbe

fine, nice looking, batampte Ben Torah

• Members
  • 26,049 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 07:06 PM

I really have little desire to go to Miami...

And KR was not overly impressed by the airport in Amsterdam...
[/flirting]

#14 NY-LON

NY-LON

Toddler Chaser

• Members
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 07:14 PM

For a long weekend, Miami--but I hate flying international for less than a week away.
Remember, correlation does not equal causation.
Coincidence does not imply correlation.

Warning: ever-present baby may result in mis-reading of posts.

#15 little miss trouble

little miss trouble

Gabbai

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 07:14 PM

Why is the choice limited between Amsterdam and Miami?

#16 shrigala

shrigala

Gabbai

• Members
  • 731 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 07:15 PM

So, is the airport as amazing as the Dutch people like to make out? And aren't museums > beach?

It's very big and there is a lot of shopping.

As for museums vs. beaches, I guess it depends. I love "cultural" trips and once I believed it's a waste of time and money to go on vacation to lie on a beach. But when I've went to Dominican Republic I actually enjoyed it very much. I guess I realized I need some variety, and sometimes you just feel like resting and taking it easy. Now I returned from a 2-weeks trip to Europe (including a couple of museums), and I feel I'm due for a beach.

Museums can be exhausting if you have to do them on a tight schedule. I spent 2 days in Louvre and the truth is I don't remember most of what I've seen. I realized I don't enjoy paintings so much - I have a feeling I can see as much on the Internet (granted, I'm not a connoisseur). So I gravitated towards objects/sculptures of the ancient Middle East and Egypt and I enjoyed those. But I think museums in Amsterdam are rather about paintings. There have Vermeer in the Rijkmuseum and I like Vermeer, but it's only four paintings.

So I guess it depends what beach, what museum and when. But again, I've been to Amsterdam not a long time ago, so I'm biased. It's natural I would go somewhere else now. And I've been to Miami 15 years ago and very shortly. So maybe it's "blah". I certainly think Orlando, Florida is "blah".

#17 Rachel

Rachel

It's Winterlicious!

• Members
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 07:50 PM

Given the chance to go to either Miami or Amsterdam for a long weekend (including Thursday and Monday), which would you choose?

Given that choice, I would pick Florence. *sigh*

No.

I knew that would be you answer. :biggrin:
Authentic jews work in climate controlled offices. Physical exertion is for goyim. - Melech

I think that should be the answer to everything on H.com. It was God's plan that these kids should end up in prison in Japan, just as it was God's plan that certain 8th graders shouldn't be accepted to either of the two schools they applied to. And also that a thirteen-year old should have a kid and that certain people should dream of sex with the president. It solves all problems with no need for discussion. - Xi

#18 Kalashnikover_Rebbe

Kalashnikover_Rebbe

fine, nice looking, batampte Ben Torah

• Members
  • 26,049 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 08:05 PM

[/flirting]

#19 starwolf

starwolf

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 10:57 PM

Amsterdam, no matter which season.

And while Schiphol airport, like most European airports, has more conveniences than US airports, I would not classify it as "amazing".
It's still an airport.... (feh).

הַתְקַשֵּׁר מַעֲדַנּוֹת כִּימָה אוֹ-מֹשְׁכוֹת כְּסִיל תְּפַתֵּחַ

doubt not through the ages one increasing purpose runs, and the thoughts of men are widened with the process of the suns.

#20 TheDuncePolice

TheDuncePolice

Knows she doesn't know

• Members
  • 12,659 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 11:30 PM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users