61 replies to this topic

#21 Kalashnikover_Rebbe

Kalashnikover_Rebbe

fine, nice looking, batampte Ben Torah

• Members
  • 26,049 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 03:18 AM

Amsterdam, no matter which season.

And while Schiphol airport, like most European airports, has more conveniences than US airports, I would not classify it as "amazing".
It's still an airport.... (feh).

Yeah, it doesn't even have free wifi!!! :angry:

And the security is stupid. I had an unopened bottle of coke that I had just bought from a store in the airport and they said I couldn't take it inside the gate (they have no MAIN security there, every gate has it's own security which is weird but I assume they have a logical reason for this), so I said, I'll drink it before I get on the plane, because I know liquids aren't allowed (I've never had a problem with this anywhere else), so they said no, you can't bring it past the gate, so I drink some, throw the rest out get past security and what is the first thing I pass? a coke machine :angry: :rolleyes:
[/flirting]

#22 goyishrebbe

goyishrebbe

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 04:24 AM

For me, the time of year and how long the flights are would be major factors. Flight time is a substantial factor when you don't have much time to be somewhere. Miami is a much shorter flight from NYC. However, I also would not be eager to go there during prime hurricane season--August through mid-October. The last time, I went to Miami--in January, 2002--I had great weather and a great time.

#23 Belle

Belle

anomaly

• Members
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 07:13 AM

:wub:

Totally!

Yeah, it doesn't even have free wifi!!! :angry:

And the security is stupid. I had an unopened bottle of coke that I had just bought from a store in the airport and they said I couldn't take it inside the gate (they have no MAIN security there, every gate has it's own security which is weird but I assume they have a logical reason for this), so I said, I'll drink it before I get on the plane, because I know liquids aren't allowed (I've never had a problem with this anywhere else), so they said no, you can't bring it past the gate, so I drink some, throw the rest out get past security and what is the first thing I pass? a coke machine :angry: :rolleyes:

:rofl:
"Belle has the right of it" - Shemmy

"i have come to believe that belle is closer to the truth" - Snag

"Belle is, of course, right." - Razie

#24 TheDuncePolice

TheDuncePolice

Knows she doesn't know

• Members
  • 12,659 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 07:46 AM

Proud member of the "I don't always wait until I finish reading the thread to respond" club.

Believe me, every heart has its secret sorrows, which the world knows not; and oftentimes we call a man cold when he is only sad. ~ Robert C. Savage

#25 Moshi

Moshi

Little Reb Sunshine

• Members
  • 21,046 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 10:49 AM

What does one do in Miami? Besides restaurants.
The L-rd may not come when you call, but He's always on time. -Lemon Andersen

Kabel et ha-emet mi-mi she-omro.

"All is by the hand of Heaven, except colds and fevers" -Ketubot 30a.

~My Blog~

#26 FYI

FYI

Naive or Clueless?

• Members
  • 16,184 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 10:54 AM

Amsterdam. No doubt.

ditto.
Many people wish they could change their life, when all they really need to do is change their attitude towards life. - Sharon

#27 Natanel

Natanel

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 04:32 PM

Culture is over-rated
"the Coolaid avator guy [kalnishkor] seems to be anti MO" - NYK

"why do we have to suffer so that you don't get banned from some syrian forum?!" -Elana

"h.com is incredibly democratic, egalitarian, and provides a level playing field for everyone. If you don't like the topics, instead of lamenting, all you have to do to skew the conversations to something more appealing to you then all you have to do is post new topics. Be a head and not a tail."

-Melech

#28 justbatya

justbatya

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 04:37 PM

I couldn't find an electrical outlet at Schiphol to charge my iPad, and thus ran out of power and episodes of Toddlers and Tiaras mid-flight, which was not cool.  On the ither hand, they did have good coffee and Fanta Cassis, which I would pay a lot of money to find imported.

My poor SO still thinks that a Batya is a what, and not a who.

Soda-Club Home Soda Makers
Blog-o-rama

#29 int

int

• Members
  • 7,388 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 05:04 PM

I couldn't find an electrical outlet at Schiphol to charge my iPad, and thus ran out of power and episodes of Toddlers and Tiaras mid-flight, which was not cool.  On the ither hand, they did have good coffee and Fanta Cassis, which I would pay a lot of money to find imported.

Also, remember the special secret room in the airport where they give you free pot? (To smoke on the plane)

#30 justbatya

justbatya

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 05:24 PM

Totally! Those crazy Dutch!

My poor SO still thinks that a Batya is a what, and not a who.

Soda-Club Home Soda Makers
Blog-o-rama

#31 Razie

Razie

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 05:29 PM

Amsterdam.

However, if you get stoned and start walking the beautiful spiraling waterways, don't expect to find your way back to your hotel for 6 hours until you're sobered up (which will seem like days). And all you'll want to do is sleep and eat and then you'll start crying and why can't you just figure out where you are or going ... and that was totally not at all like weed in the US and ..... erm .... 8-0

#32 Xi

Xi

-->

• Banned
  • 6,300 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 06:46 PM

However, if you get stoned and start walking the beautiful spiraling waterways, don't expect to find your way back to your hotel for 6 hours until you're sobered up (which will seem like days). And all you'll want to do is sleep and eat and then you'll start crying and why can't you just figure out where you are or going ... and that was totally not at all like weed in the US and ..... erm .... 8-0

:lol: I was the one who helped stoned people get back to the hotel when I was in Amsterdam. (How random is it, that you'll wander through Amsterdam and just run into a stoned friend who needs help getting back? And that you'll even have a free cookie you got somewhere to help with the munchies?)
Xi is intimidating, in an endearing sort of way. --Gretchen

#33 Guest_Melech_*

Guest_Melech_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2010 - 06:49 PM

#34 Xi

Xi

-->

• Banned
  • 6,300 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 06:52 PM

Like in Rome! Those cars are awesome... you can just stand on the part that moves and it's like a mini-ride. And it feels so nice and airy in them (though possibly because this was in the middle of the day, and post the tube).

Melech, you edited. :( I love when people post about the subway in my thread. It makes me really excited and lightheaded.
Xi is intimidating, in an endearing sort of way. --Gretchen

#35 TheDuncePolice

TheDuncePolice

Knows she doesn't know

• Members
  • 12,659 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 07:29 PM

Proud member of the "I don't always wait until I finish reading the thread to respond" club.

Believe me, every heart has its secret sorrows, which the world knows not; and oftentimes we call a man cold when he is only sad. ~ Robert C. Savage

#36 Guest_Melech_*

Guest_Melech_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2010 - 07:34 PM

#37 Guest_Melech_*

Guest_Melech_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2010 - 07:40 PM

#38 jewess

jewess

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 07:44 PM

Miami has good weather, English speakers, kosher food, and beaches. Hence my vote for Miami.

in(post) high school we called it
the triple b: beaches, boys and booze.
anyway if you are canadian, going somewhere warm in the winter is practically the law.

#39 Guest_Melech_*

Guest_Melech_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2010 - 07:46 PM

#40 Kalashnikover_Rebbe

Kalashnikover_Rebbe

fine, nice looking, batampte Ben Torah

• Members
  • 26,049 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 07:46 PM

Miami has good weather, English speakers, kosher food, and beaches. Hence my vote for Miami.

I would venture to say the level of English in Amsterdam is FAR superior to that of Miami :pardon:
[/flirting]

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users