• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 somethinghiding

somethinghiding

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,294 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 07:51 AM

I had a halacha class in which my teacher explained how you're not allowed to make a bracha in a place that smells, and when I asked him a question what exactly he was referring to, he said "I think you know what I'm talking about" and didnt go any further. I conclude from this that he was talking about bathroom smells... But then, whats included in it?
If a woman is in nidda, and she has a constant "smell" around her, does that make difficulties in saying brachot? or no.
And how about older people on depends when they loose control of their bodily functions. Are there halachot of them saying brachot just stam?

#2 Guest_melech_*

Guest_melech_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2005 - 09:05 AM

#3 youngwifeandmum

youngwifeandmum

Incredible

• Members
  • 1,689 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 11:26 AM

The Kitzur Shulchan Aruch rules that you can't daven in a house where there is excrement anywhere in the house, even in the attic. That means it's not enough that you can't see or smell it and even if it's in another room (another reshut) and even if you're more than 4 amot away from where the smell ends. That means you can't daven in your house if there are dirty diapers in the garbage anywhere in the house.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

what? So Because of the nappies in the bin, we can't daven and make brachos? I was under the impression if you can't smell anything it's ok, eg if the tot does a stinker just before birchat hamazon change her quick.... cos we can't bentsch.
The instructions said, Windows 98 or better
So I bought a Mac!

Every so often, I like to go the window, look up, and smile for a satelite picture.

#4 Guest_melech_*

Guest_melech_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2005 - 11:33 AM

#5 youngwifeandmum

youngwifeandmum

Incredible

• Members
  • 1,689 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 11:38 AM

Good, now try answer her question.
So I bought a Mac!

Every so often, I like to go the window, look up, and smile for a satelite picture.

#6 Guest_melech_*

Guest_melech_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2005 - 11:39 AM

#7 youngwifeandmum

youngwifeandmum

Incredible

• Members
  • 1,689 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 11:41 AM

Go on, I dare ya. :D
So I bought a Mac!

#8 critic

critic

Shtark

• Members
  • 332 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 12:29 PM

I had a halacha class in which my teacher explained how you're not allowed to make a bracha in a place that smells, and when I asked him a question what exactly he was referring to, he said "I think you know what I'm talking about" and didnt go any further. I conclude from this that he was talking about bathroom smells... But then, whats included in it?
If a woman is in nidda, and she has a constant "smell" around her, does that make difficulties in saying brachot? or no.
And how about older people on depends when they loose control of their bodily functions. Are there halachot of them saying brachot just stam?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nidda's smell?

The KSA is known to be very machmir on things and present many chumra's as halacha. (the most famous examples are probably in siman 150)

But anyway, if someone has body odor (BO) and they can't smell themselves, would they be able to make a bracha?

#9 Guest_melech_*

Guest_melech_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2005 - 12:40 PM

#10 Sweet

Sweet

Passionately Ambivalent

• Members
  • 6,949 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 02:09 PM

Is there a problem with smells other than excrement?
The world has too many stupid people who are full of confidence, and smart people who are full of self-doubt.

#11 Guest_melech_*

Guest_melech_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2005 - 02:10 PM

#12 brianna

brianna

Sanctimonious Pleasure Seeker

• Members
  • 13,655 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 04:42 PM

If a woman is in nidda, and she has a constant "smell" around her, does that make difficulties in saying brachot?

Reason #1 why women should use tampons.
Certainly there is no shortage of married, left-wing harlots who do not cover their hair. Although, they're probably busy sacrificing their children to Ba‛al and filing divorce papers. ~ Milton

"Are you including as shomer negiya someone who is sleeping with his girlfriend but not shaking hands with the car dealer?" ~ Moshi

"Some people like their corn flakes soggy, other people get off on repression and guilt." ~ Sweet

Notice of New Policy: I now ask people permission before using their quotes.

#13 Nechama

Nechama

Godol Hador

• Admin
  • 5,755 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 05:06 PM

If a woman is in nidda, and she has a constant "smell" around her, does that make difficulties in saying brachot?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

no, she needs either to practice better hygiene, or she should visit her gynecologist, because thats not normal.
If I have interesting things on the walls, no one will notice how dirty the floors are - right?

#14 cornie

cornie

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 10:55 PM

Is there a problem with smells other than excrement?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think this includes any offensive smells. Like my kitchen garbage that's been sitting around for days, for example. :oops:

#15 Aristotle

Aristotle

A Red Rose in a Black and White Movie.

• Members
  • 6,261 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 11:06 PM

It does.
.כלל הדבר, כי ראוי שיהיה השכל בן חורין -מהר"ל בחיד"א

#16 somethinghiding

somethinghiding

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,294 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 03:30 AM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

no, she needs either to practice better hygiene, or she should visit her gynecologist, because thats not normal.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Come one. If someone has unscented pads, they could smell. Its unrelated to hygene.

#17 Guest_melech_*

Guest_melech_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2005 - 09:04 AM

#18 youngwifeandmum

youngwifeandmum

Incredible

• Members
  • 1,689 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 10:08 AM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Come one. If someone has unscented pads, they could smell. Its unrelated to hygene.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

no, seriously any bad smell means a visit to your doctor. If it's just b.o....nobody smells that. Apparently. So I've been told.
So I bought a Mac!

#19 Nechama

Nechama

Godol Hador

• Admin
  • 5,755 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 11:39 AM

just to back up YWAM- women tend to be hypersensitive about their own natural, normal body smells and think others can smell an odor, when in actuality, no odor is detectable. (I can dig up the ivillage link if you want) Unless someone litterally sticks their nose in your lap, they cant smell that you have your period.
But anything funky should be checked out by a Dr. to rule out bacterial infection, etc.
If I have interesting things on the walls, no one will notice how dirty the floors are - right?

#20 Guest_melech_*

Guest_melech_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2005 - 11:59 AM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users