41 replies to this topic

#1 starwolf

starwolf

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 11:36 AM

OK, all you New Yorkers......

I am gonna be flying into JFK around 2 pm on a weekday, and flying out around midnight the same day.
My luggage will be checked through to Israel, so all I have to do is go through security.
I purely hate sitting around in airports, so I plan to go to Manhattan.

I have a few questions:

Does JFK have luggage storage lockers/areas so I don't have to shlep my hand luggage? I haven't been there in a while....

I would like suggestions for a really good restaurant--one that will give me a good meal, and maybe pack something up for me on the trip out.
What are my best options for transportation to Manhattan and back--and approximate prices?

Help me out here, folks.

הַתְקַשֵּׁר מַעֲדַנּוֹת כִּימָה אוֹ-מֹשְׁכוֹת כְּסִיל תְּפַתֵּחַ

doubt not through the ages one increasing purpose runs, and the thoughts of men are widened with the process of the suns.

#2 Guest_Shuli_*

Guest_Shuli_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2010 - 11:58 AM

#3 Razie

Razie

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 12:01 PM

I was recently at Deli Kasbah for the first tim http://maps.google.c...630729081671095

It was surprisingly good. I had the brazillian steak (rare). It compared to good "other" places. I can't speak to the deli food or other stuff.

I'd recommend it.

ETA: It's a also a fun trip for some Lubavitch fun. Moshiach banner welcomes you. Videos inside the restaurant play All L.Rebbe All The Time. Free dessert per table if you give a dvar torah (every mitzvah counts!)

#4 Kalashnikover_Rebbe

Kalashnikover_Rebbe

fine, nice looking, batampte Ben Torah

• Members
  • 26,049 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 12:06 PM

I was recently at Deli Kasbah for the first tim http://maps.google.c...630729081671095

It was surprisingly good. I had the brazillian steak (rare). It compared to good "other" places. I can't speak to the deli food or other stuff.

I'd recommend it.

ETA: It's a also a fun trip for some Lubavitch fun. Moshiach banner welcomes you. Videos inside the restaurant play All L.Rebbe All The Time. Free dessert per table if you give a dvar torah (every mitzvah counts!)

OMG I :wub: that place!!! The Rumaki are orgasmic!!!

As for the topic at hand, the 5 towns are very close to the Airport and have a wide assortment of kosher eats. I'm not sure what the mass transit situation is from there, but it is probably easier than shlepping to "the citteh"...
[/flirting]

#5 Guest_Shuli_*

Guest_Shuli_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2010 - 12:12 PM

#6 Razie

Razie

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 12:20 PM

What's the bill average out to?

really depends on what you order. I went with 6 people and the bill was in the $300-$400 range (that included tax & tip).

A 10 oz steak is $35. A chicken/avocado wrap is $20. A roast beef sandwich with a side is $18 (all three things were ordered in our group). So there's a range.

Menu links

http://www.delikasba...selectmenu.html

http://www.menupages...restaurant/menu

#7 Guest_Shuli_*

Guest_Shuli_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2010 - 12:25 PM

#8 Razie

Razie

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 12:28 PM

Wow, they're pricey. I'll probably never try them with such a heimishe menu and city prices. Shnitzel for $25?! Burger for $20? And chicken nuggets as an app?

Did you see the Zelda's chicken soup?

Indeed I did. I was late (in a cab) and asked someone to order it for me (we were late so others had to order while we raced to get there) but she refused on principle.

(this dinner, btw, was "His parents flew in for a my family meets his family for the first time" .... Last week. went over well. 8 weeks from today and the nonsense is hopefully over!)

#9 Guest_Shuli_*

Guest_Shuli_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2010 - 12:32 PM

#10 Razie

Razie

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 12:51 PM

Wow, this is moving along like a freight train. It seems like mamash yesterday you got engaged. Glad the inlaw meet-and-greet went well; it can definitely be "interesting" when you have parents from totally different cultural backgrounds.

yeah, but put two right-wing-nut fathers across from each other, and it's all good. I'm not kidding, my father was passing fiancee's father onion rings - sharing onion rings as they bashed obama. :)
future F-i-L wasn't sure he and my dad would get along because he wasn't religious enough ... I was like "trust me - you will." Nonstop politics all night - we were there 3 hours. And they actually both listened and let the other finish sentences!

At the end, warm handshakes, etc ... and my dad telling his dad "You did a good job with this one" (pointing to fiance).

It was good.

But we're getting off topic.

#11 starwolf

starwolf

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 01:05 PM

Wow, thanks for all the responses. I see that i'm going to have to narrow the parameters.

Shuli is correct, I do need to pick up a couple of things in Manhattan. Midtown and Upper West, if I have the time.
Otherwise, I probably would get to the village, as my favorite NYC liquor store is there, but I will not be checking any more luggage, so that one is out.

Thank you for the very generous offer, by the way, Shuli.

This will be the last day of a speaking/fundraising trip. During a on-week period, I will basically be travelling to a number of cities and giving lectures.
While I hope to have a quiet shabbat in the middle, that will be the only down time.

So on the last day, before I fly back to Israel, I would like a decent meal.

Of the suggestions so far:
I think that I ate at Deli Kasbah many years ago--but I don't remember any Lubab stuff. In any event, I really don't want that kind of food, as I am from Israel.

Abigael's sounds good, as does Mike's.

(As you can imagine, meat is the way to go--unless someone can recommend a faaaaaaaaaaaabulous sushi place.)

Here is another question. The places that I recall good food in Manhattan were Le Marais and Levana.
Is their quality still good? It seems that they are in about the same price range as the others.
Shuli, how do the two places that you recommend compare with these?

At the end, warm handshakes, etc ... and my dad telling his dad "You did a good job with this one" (pointing to fiancee).

It was good.

But we're getting off topic.

yeah, it is off topic. But the good vibes are still worth reading.

doubt not through the ages one increasing purpose runs, and the thoughts of men are widened with the process of the suns.

#12 starwolf

starwolf

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 02:06 PM

Whoa! Just found this in the Union Square thread!

That Nachas list blew me away!
Especially the menu at the prime grill. Anyone ever been there?

#13 Guest_Shuli_*

Guest_Shuli_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2010 - 02:10 PM

#14 cynic

cynic

Godol Hador

• Banned
  • 6,642 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 02:40 PM

If you need to go to the Upper West Side, then I recommend eating at Talia's Steakhouse. Very good food.

#15 starwolf

starwolf

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 02:44 PM

Yes. I would not recommend Prime Grill to anyone. I've been there several times and never had an even passably good meal there.

Well, I'll just take that advice. My wallet will certainly be happier.
Dang. it really sounded good.

#16 Guest_Shuli_*

Guest_Shuli_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2010 - 02:48 PM

#17 starwolf

starwolf

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 02:52 PM

If you need to go to the Upper West Side, then I recommend eating at Talia's Steakhouse. Very good food.

The only reason for me to go to the Upper West Side is to visit one store: Maxilla & Mandible, and it would depend of if they have something specific.

Probably better off planning midtown somewhere.

#18 goyishrebbe

goyishrebbe

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 05:27 PM

Dakshin and Colbeh are my favorite kosher restaurants in Manhattan. Dakshin on E 64 and 1st Avenue is an Indian meat place. Colbeh in Midtown specializes in Persian food.

#19 jewess

jewess

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 05:50 PM

Yes. I would not recommend Prime Grill to anyone. I've been there several times and never had an even passably good meal there.

i love prime grill! (possible because i have good memories from being there!) i also like this new prime ko place - i was there once and it is a fun resto.
mikes bistro: amazing (even though that has not such great memories!) oh, what is that small fleishigs joint?? i think in midtown?? um... anyone?

Well, I'll just take that advice. My wallet will certainly be happier.
Dang. it really sounded good.

as i said- i love prime grill - and their sushi is great too!
eta: the restaurant i was talking about was tevere.

#20 Guest_Shuli_*

Guest_Shuli_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2010 - 05:56 PM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users