Conversion and Aliyah

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 thatguy

thatguy

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 04:06 PM

I am a 15 year old male. When looking into my family past, my grandmother from my mother's side said that her grandmothers said Yiddish phrases like "Oy!" and she couldn't find church records for some of them, but we can't prove anything. I have an affinity for Judaism and the Jewish people, and when I am older I might consider an Orthodox conversion here in the United States. From what I have read, it appears many Orthodox conversions are not accepted in Israel. How can one make sure their conversion will be accepted?

#2 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 05:32 PM

Speak to the Rabbi and Beit Din that is converting you. Also note that if you convert in the States you must live in the community where you converted for several years before Israel will allow you to make Aliyah.

Pinchas is right - micha

For the record, IRL he is a really nice guy! - HappyDuck, Z"L

#3 lyric

lyric

grannylicious

• Members
  • 7,872 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 05:35 PM

Is your grandmother saying "Oy" your only "proof" of possible Jewish heritage? It's kind of tenuous, don't you think?

A completely upfront non-Jewish Brit radio presenter says "oy yoy yoy" almost every day. I'm afraid that doesn't make him Jewish.

If you are interested in becoming Jewish you need to look long and hard into all the restrictions and laws that you will have to take on board. As far as I know, proper Orthodox conversions (as opposed to Reform, Conservative and other lite versions of Judaism) are universally acceptable, even in Israel. But because they are worth having, they are also the longest and hardest road to travel.
Seen on News Billboard: Osama bin Laden is dead. What Kate was wearing when she heard the news...

#4 thatguy

thatguy

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 06:15 PM

Is your grandmother saying "Oy" your only "proof" of possible Jewish heritage? It's kind of tenuous, don't you think?

A completely upfront non-Jewish Brit radio presenter says "oy yoy yoy" almost every day. I'm afraid that doesn't make him Jewish.

If you are interested in becoming Jewish you need to look long and hard into all the restrictions and laws that you will have to take on board. As far as I know, proper Orthodox conversions (as opposed to Reform, Conservative and other lite versions of Judaism) are universally acceptable, even in Israel. But because they are worth having, they are also the longest and hardest road to travel.

I'm no sure if it was common for German immigrants from the 19th century to use Yiddish phrases, and we couldn't find any Catholic Church records for a woman who was supposedly a devout Catholic. Regardless, that has no impact on my potential future conversion, only Judaism does. My question is how one can be sure an Orthodox conversion here in the States would be accepted in Israel, considering the events regarding voided conversions.

Edit: To be honest, I'm not even sure if I would be able to uphold the commandments, so maybe the Noahide Laws would be a better idea.

#5 goyishrebbe

goyishrebbe

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 11:35 PM

All proper Orthodox conversions should be recognized in Israel, but now there is a problem that the rabbinate is not recognizing many of them, putting bona fide converts and ther children in a state of limbo. It is a real problem unfortunately and can not be sugarcoated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users