• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 Belle

Belle

anomaly

• Members
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 07:31 PM

What sort of vacation trip would you say is easiest when traveling with an infant about 4-6 months old?

Ideas that come to mind are:

A. Europe - tours, walking etc seem possible when toting an infant who can sit in a carriage or in an infant carrier. This is the most expensive option, but being that I have a family wedding in London in a few weeks, maybe it can work out.

B. beach destinations are cheapest and sound great, but less feasible with an infant. There's no extreme boating, parasailing, swimming, diving, even just sitting on the beach with a baby that young doesn't sound fun. Basically I can walk around in the heat.

C. In between - say a trip to California or something like that - would involve lots of driving, walking, touring, and some fun activities that may or may not be feasible with an infant.

Any ideas, tips or insights? Have you traveled with an infant, and where did you go and how did it work out?
"Belle has the right of it" - Shemmy

"i have come to believe that belle is closer to the truth" - Snag

"Belle is, of course, right." - Razie

#2 TheDuncePolice

TheDuncePolice

Knows she doesn't know

• Members
  • 12,659 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 07:45 PM

Proud member of the "I don't always wait until I finish reading the thread to respond" club.

Believe me, every heart has its secret sorrows, which the world knows not; and oftentimes we call a man cold when he is only sad. ~ Robert C. Savage

#3 justbatya

justbatya

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 07:46 PM

Do Europe now before she is crawling and fussier.

My poor SO still thinks that a Batya is a what, and not a who.

Soda-Club Home Soda Makers
Blog-o-rama

#4 Guest_Melech_*

Guest_Melech_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2010 - 09:51 PM

#5 Belle

Belle

anomaly

• Members
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 10:05 PM

Lesson learned: Travel north or south but stay within one time zone.

lol.

Actually, I had another option. If I wait til le bebe is 6 months old, I can take a cruise. NCL has a cruise leaving NY on Sunday and returning on Sunday, and it's dirt cheap. It goes straight down south, so maybe that makes sense...

#6 Elana

Elana

Godol Hador

• Banned
  • 10,630 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 10:31 PM

NCL has a cruise leaving NY on Sunday and returning on Sunday, and it's dirt cheap.

let's hear about it

#7 Nechama

Nechama

Godol Hador

• Admin
  • 5,755 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 10:50 PM

Actually, I had another option. If I wait til le bebe is 6 months old, I can take a cruise. NCL has a cruise leaving NY on Sunday and returning on Sunday, and it's dirt cheap. It goes straight down south, so maybe that makes sense...

Cruises are a fun vacation, but you'd have much more fun without a baby on a cruise. Rooms on ships are really small, babies are not usually allowed in the pool due to sanitation concerns, and you might end up missing the fun events/shows once the baby falls asleep at night.

What we did at that age (actually I think it was closer to 9 months) was a museum- heavy trip. We went to Washington DC and it worked out great for that age. Its a walking/touring type trip not "action" but we still had a great time. It was within driving from NYC (loading up the car with anything we could need and driving was much easier than flying). Everything was handicap accessible so it was easy to push the stroller around. We could bring the stroller into nearly everywhere expect for the mint and the spy museum. Overall people where very helpful and accommodating when they saw we had a stroller and a baby. He was little enough to that he hung out in the stroller most of the time and crawled around a bit in some museums.
So I'd say opt for something leisurely where you can move at your own pace, and can go through things together (rather than taking turns watching the baby).
If I have interesting things on the walls, no one will notice how dirty the floors are - right?

#8 NY-LON

NY-LON

Toddler Chaser

• Members
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 11:59 PM

We took the baby to NYC and DC when she was 5 months old and it worked beautifully. The only issue is shlepping the stroller (and that's easier in London than NYC because you don't need to fold it on the bus!) The only issue we had was that she didn't want to lie flat in her pram all the time. If I'd had a baby carrier it would have been fine, though.

We also did Rome when she was 15 months and it went surprisingly well--the only issue was that dinner was a bit late for her tastes.
Remember, correlation does not equal causation.
Coincidence does not imply correlation.

Warning: ever-present baby may result in mis-reading of posts.

#9 LoveToLaugh

LoveToLaugh

Huh?

• Members
  • 5,341 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 12:20 AM

Definitely walking around and touring things is not hard with a (well-behaved) infant. We also did a nice picnic and laid her on the blanket which she enjoyed. no major tips come to mind
God, grant us the...
Serenity to accept things we cannot change,
Courage to change the things we can, and the
Wisdom to know the difference
Patience for the things that take time
Appreciation for all that we have, and
Tolerance for those with different struggles
Freedom to live beyond the limitations of our past ways, the
Ability to feel your love for us and our love for each other and the
Strength to get up and try again even when we feel it is hopeless.

#10 Guest_Shuli_*

Guest_Shuli_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2010 - 12:33 AM

#11 NY-LON

NY-LON

Toddler Chaser

• Members
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 08:46 AM

Actually, I'd say that international flying with an <6mo was easier than you might think, because international flights have skycots. I had to hold her going to the US (on the way back, it was a night flight and they lowered the lights and she slept in the skycot the whole time) but I'd much rather hold a 5mo than have a 15mo on my lap.

The night flight/sleeping meant that the time shift was not too bad. It was worse going the other way.
Remember, correlation does not equal causation.
Coincidence does not imply correlation.

Warning: ever-present baby may result in mis-reading of posts.

#12 happyduck1979

happyduck1979

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 10:37 AM

Actually, I'd say that international flying with an <6mo was easier than you might think, because international flights have skycots. I had to hold her going to the US (on the way back, it was a night flight and they lowered the lights and she slept in the skycot the whole time) but I'd much rather hold a 5mo than have a 15mo on my lap.

The night flight/sleeping meant that the time shift was not too bad. It was worse going the other way.

Cool- thanks for reminding me of that. Looks like please God we will be flying this month with a 5 month old. I just assumed we would have to hold him/her the whole time.
"Don't listen to people who try to defend what God has done to you. God is a big boy. He can take care of himself. You take care of you"-unknown comforting visitor after we lost Gabbi

Empty Cradle, Empty Heart My thoughts, rants against God, and prayers after have a still birth of a very wanted little girl in February of 2011.
Why I choose to put private information in a public location

Our Aliya Blog Lots of pictures.
Yes, still another blog. This one is about quick kosher cooking and is more like my personal recipe box
Coming soon. A blog to keep track of my other blogs.

New Site. New Stuff. New Sales. Swirsky Designs

#13 FYI

FYI

Naive or Clueless?

• Members
  • 16,184 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 10:54 AM

Shuli does make some great points in her post.

But, if you really want it easy - pawn off the infant to some grandparents or similar and enjoy your vacation. I took a trip to LA when my daughter was about 7 mos. old. We were going to take her with us, but left her at the last second. It was a GREAT decision because even though many things we planned to do were wheelchair accessible, there are sometimes areas WITHIN the destination that weren't. We were able to move at our own pace, so even if we were out late, we didn't have to worry about a fussy baby. No shlepping baby paraphanlia, etc. It really made the trip much smoother and more enjoyable.

(and yes, I was exclusively nursing and still pumped 4 days straight but on MY schedule, not the babies).

(my husband can't even swim, being Israeli and all)

Ok. Now the fact that mh has never been ice skating doesn't look as bad.
Many people wish they could change their life, when all they really need to do is change their attitude towards life. - Sharon

#14 Belle

Belle

anomaly

• Members
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 11:20 AM

Thanks all. It's all good advice, I just need to think about all of the ideas.

But, if you really want it easy - pawn off the infant to some grandparents or similar and enjoy your vacation. I took a trip to LA when my daughter was about 7 mos. old. We were going to take her with us, but left her at the last second. It was a GREAT decision because even though many things we planned to do were wheelchair accessible, there are sometimes areas WITHIN the destination that weren't. We were able to move at our own pace, so even if we were out late, we didn't have to worry about a fussy baby. No shlepping baby paraphanlia, etc. It really made the trip much smoother and more enjoyable.

(and yes, I was exclusively nursing and still pumped 4 days straight but on MY schedule, not the babies).

I'm tempted, but I've become too attached to le bebe to leave her for more than a day. Yes, I know I'm Belle and all, but it's happened.

#15 FYI

FYI

Naive or Clueless?

• Members
  • 16,184 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 11:27 AM

I'm tempted, but I've become too attached to le bebe to leave her for more than a day. Yes, I know I'm Belle and all, but it's happened.

I'm not surprised. It took me a long time to decide. And up until the night before I was still planning on taking the baby. It definitely wasn't easy and yes, I called daily, but it definitely also made trip easier.
Many people wish they could change their life, when all they really need to do is change their attitude towards life. - Sharon

#16 Belle

Belle

anomaly

• Members
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 12:00 PM

I called daily

you called to speak to your infant?

#17 lyric

lyric

grannylicious

• Members
  • 7,872 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 12:06 PM

OOOh when is the family wedding Belle???

I never left a bf infant or indeed any baby younger than about 3 yrs old. I would leave all the older ones and always take the baby.

The good thing about an exclusively nursing baby is that they are incredibly portable and you don't need to schlep any paraphanalia around. My first ever trip to the USA was when my sixth child was four months old, fully bf, and very portable. It was amazing and I just nursed wherever I was. Taking an older child or toddler is a whole different ballgame so GO NOW!! Come to London and visit me! Although with my mazel your wedding will be between 22nd Dec and 9th Jan, when we will be in Israel...

Compare and contrast when I took an earlier four month old that wasn't bf to Israel and to a hotel, and had to constantly ask for milk to be warmed up etc, a real pain.
Seen on News Billboard: Osama bin Laden is dead. What Kate was wearing when she heard the news...

#18 FYI

FYI

Naive or Clueless?

• Members
  • 16,184 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 12:09 PM

you called to speak to your infant?

No to check in on her and make sure she was okay and everything was going well.

The good thing about an exclusively nursing baby is that they are incredibly portable and you don't need to schlep any paraphanalia around.

I disagree. The only thing you don't need to take is a bottle/formula, you still need the infant seat, stroller, blanket, diaper, wipes, etc. Remove a bottle + formula from your baby bag, doesn't make it 'incredibly portable' imo.

Although, again, if you do take the baby, I think Shuli had a great post.

#19 lyric

lyric

grannylicious

• Members
  • 7,872 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 12:13 PM

The flight to California is 6 hrs ish, and to London is about the same, btw.

No to check in on her and make sure she was okay and everything was going well.

I disagree. The only thing you don't need to take is a bottle/formula, you still need the infant seat, stroller, blanket, diaper, wipes, etc. Remove a bottle + formula from your baby bag, doesn't make it 'incredibly portable' imo.

Although, again, if you do take the baby, I think Shuli had a great post.

OK it's easier without any baby, but I never left a baby behind. And it's not only the bottle and the formula, it's access to somewhere to mix and heat it. I have taken babies on vacation loads of times and found bf babies very portable compared to bottle fed babies.
Seen on News Billboard: Osama bin Laden is dead. What Kate was wearing when she heard the news...

#20 FYI

FYI

Naive or Clueless?

• Members
  • 16,184 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 12:17 PM

OK it's easier without any baby, but I never left a baby behind. And it's not only the bottle and the formula, it's access to somewhere to mix and heat it. I have taken babies on vacation loads of times and found bf babies very portable compared to bottle fed babies.

Why did you never leave a baby behind?
I have never needed to 'heat' a formula bottle. And mixing requires shaking which can be done anywhere. I never felt one was easier than the other, just that it's annoying if you forget to BRING the formula, but you really can't forget to bring the mother if she's taking care of the baby.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users