60 replies to this topic

#21 lyric

lyric

grannylicious

• Members
  • 7,872 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 12:21 PM

Why did you never leave a baby behind?
I have never needed to 'heat' a formula bottle. And mixing requires shaking which can be done anywhere. I never felt one was easier than the other, just that it's annoying if you forget to BRING the formula, but you really can't forget to bring the mother if she's taking care of the baby.

Because I felt the baby's place was with me. Anyway I didn't have any grandparents to leave my kids with; only friends, and it wasn't fair to leave a baby with a friend as it is so full time. I only left kids who were in school or nursery.
Seen on News Billboard: Osama bin Laden is dead. What Kate was wearing when she heard the news...

#22 Belle

Belle

anomaly

• Members
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 12:25 PM

OOOh when is the family wedding Belle???

The wedding is January 4th.

Why did you never leave a baby behind?
I have never needed to 'heat' a formula bottle. And mixing requires shaking which can be done anywhere. I never felt one was easier than the other, just that it's annoying if you forget to BRING the formula, but you really can't forget to bring the mother if she's taking care of the baby.

Yeah, my sister prepared a bottle for her 1 year old in the street - mixed it with spring water, shook it, and gave it to her in under a minute...

Again, thanks everyone. Still have to think about it.
"Belle has the right of it" - Shemmy

"i have come to believe that belle is closer to the truth" - Snag

"Belle is, of course, right." - Razie

#23 FYI

FYI

Naive or Clueless?

• Members
  • 16,184 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 12:26 PM

Because I felt the baby's place was with me.

I'm a bad mother.

Anyway I didn't have any grandparents to leave my kids with;

My baby wasn't left with a grandparent.
Many people wish they could change their life, when all they really need to do is change their attitude towards life. - Sharon

#24 lyric

lyric

grannylicious

• Members
  • 7,872 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 12:27 PM

You might still be in the UK after the 9th maybe...?

I'm a bad mother.

My baby wasn't left with a grandparent.

Who then? I never felt I could leave a full time at home baby with a friend. Too big an ask.
Seen on News Billboard: Osama bin Laden is dead. What Kate was wearing when she heard the news...

#25 Belle

Belle

anomaly

• Members
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 12:32 PM

I'm a bad mother.

You have GOT to stop saying that. It really really irks me.

You might still be in the UK after the 9th maybe...?

If I go, I doubt it. I'll probably head home, or stop in another city... Why?

#26 lyric

lyric

grannylicious

• Members
  • 7,872 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 12:33 PM

If I go, I doubt it. I'll probably head home, or stop in another city... Why?

Cos that's when I come back from Israel. Oh well nvm.

#27 Belle

Belle

anomaly

• Members
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 12:33 PM

Cos that's when I come back from Israel. Oh well nvm.

oh. you plan that much in advance?

#28 FYI

FYI

Naive or Clueless?

• Members
  • 16,184 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 12:34 PM

You have GOT to stop saying that. It really really irks me.

I'm sorry, I will try to stop saying that, although I don't understand what irks you about it. I've never called you a bad mother.
Many people wish they could change their life, when all they really need to do is change their attitude towards life. - Sharon

#29 lyric

lyric

grannylicious

• Members
  • 7,872 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 12:35 PM

oh. you plan that much in advance?

Plan what? If you were still in London it might have been nice to meet. That's all.

#30 lyric

lyric

grannylicious

• Members
  • 7,872 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 12:43 PM

FYI: so who did you leave your baby with?

#31 FYI

FYI

Naive or Clueless?

• Members
  • 16,184 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 12:53 PM

An aunt of theirs.

#32 Belle

Belle

anomaly

• Members
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 12:54 PM

I'm sorry, I will try to stop saying that, although I don't understand what irks you about it. I've never called you a bad mother.

I don't like hearing people disparage themselves.

Plan what? If you were still in London it might have been nice to meet. That's all.

Yeah I know. I mean, you plan your trips to israel a few months early? I thought you usually pick up and go.

#33 lyric

lyric

grannylicious

• Members
  • 7,872 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 01:29 PM

I don't like hearing people disparage themselves.

Yeah I know. I mean, you plan your trips to israel a few months early? I thought you usually pick up and go.

I wish hubby was that flexible. He needs at least several weeks to panic about catching up all his work before we go.

We could theoretically pick up and go if there was a sudden simcha but he prefers LOTS of notice. And I have courses I teach so have to plan around those too.

An aunt of theirs.

You mean your sibling? I don't have that option.

#34 Moshi

Moshi

Little Reb Sunshine

• Members
  • 21,046 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 01:33 PM

I wouldn't mess with time zones too much.

I also wouldn't go to a destination where you'd want to have a full itinerary -- like if you're spending $2,000 to go to Paris, you're going to want to see lots of stuff each day, and you'll be disappointed if you don't. Babies are unpredictable and not always cooperative, so why risk disappointment.

Also I wouldn't go on long road trips.

Best vacation with baby to me would be a week in a house on the lake someplace. Easy to plan, relaxing, you can go on walks, there is water or snow to provide the fun, etc. Also there is shade and not too hot in the summer.
The L-rd may not come when you call, but He's always on time. -Lemon Andersen

Kabel et ha-emet mi-mi she-omro.

"All is by the hand of Heaven, except colds and fevers" -Ketubot 30a.

~My Blog~

#35 lyric

lyric

grannylicious

• Members
  • 7,872 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 01:35 PM

Re time zones; that's true. It really does mess with a baby.

#36 FYI

FYI

Naive or Clueless?

• Members
  • 16,184 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 01:38 PM

You mean your sibling? I don't have that option.

No, not a sibling of mine.

Best vacation with baby to me would be a week in a house on the lake someplace. Easy to plan, relaxing, you can go on walks, there is water or snow to provide the fun, etc. Also there is shade and not too hot in the summer.

To me, that's a boring vacation. If I'm ever able to travel, which is rare, I like to do as much sightseeing/doing as possible.

#37 Moshi

Moshi

Little Reb Sunshine

• Members
  • 21,046 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 01:41 PM

I'm not surprised. It took me a long time to decide. And up until the night before I was still planning on taking the baby. It definitely wasn't easy and yes, I called daily, but it definitely also made trip easier.

We were going to go to Maine this summer without the baby, but last minute didn't have the heart to leave her. While it was certainly limiting a little, it was also the kind of vacation where there wasn't a long checklist of things to do, so even if it took us ages to leave the house each day, it was still worth it...... though she was 16 months at that point, so much more interactive and enjoyable than a 5 month old.' I don't see the point on spending money and time on a fancy vacation and taking baby that young along.
She will get nothing out of it. Keep it simple. If you can't leave her behind, go somewhere easy. Unless you're a supermom, or your baby is super easy, in which case I got no advice to give.
The L-rd may not come when you call, but He's always on time. -Lemon Andersen

Kabel et ha-emet mi-mi she-omro.

"All is by the hand of Heaven, except colds and fevers" -Ketubot 30a.

~My Blog~

#38 FYI

FYI

Naive or Clueless?

• Members
  • 16,184 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 01:42 PM

We were going to go to Maine this summer without the baby, but last minute didn't have the heart to leave her.

Awwww......

#39 Belle

Belle

anomaly

• Members
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 01:45 PM

I wish hubby was that flexible. He needs at least several weeks to panic about catching up all his work before we go.

ha, sounds familiar.

#40 Pamello

Pamello

uNiQuE

• Members
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 06:34 PM

This is the most expensive option, but being that I have a family wedding in London in a few weeks, maybe it can work out.

Great idea!

See you soon

;)

ETA: Whatever you plan just realise that everything takes a lot longer with a baby and you need many more breaks and facilities. I haven't left my almost 4 year old (besides for to go to hospital to have my baby) and therefore any vacation we have taken since her birth has been kid friendly. Nowhere to rush to, no major agendas and enough days to overcome jetlag before we went home.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users