Best pictures in the Gemmara

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Brisker

Brisker

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 02:23 AM

What's your favorite picture in the gemmara? I think theres a great one in the rabbenu chananel in eruvin or something. any other great ones?

#2 Tinoket

Tinoket

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 06:44 AM

There are pictures in gemara???

#3 Guest_Melech_*

Guest_Melech_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2010 - 07:19 AM

#4 Dan

Dan

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 08:09 AM

Seforim blog about the marginal drawing in Eiruvin:

http://seforim.blogs...-questions.html

Very interesting.. thanks!
כלל זה יהא נקוט בידך: מי שאינו רואה את המקום [=ה'] בכל מקום, אינו רואה בשום מקום
איפה נמצא אלוקים? בכל מקום שנותנים לו להיכנס
-Kotzker

נישט אלעס וואס מען טראכט דארף מען זאגען, נישט אלעס וואס מען זאגט דארף מען שרייבען, נישט אלעס וואס מען שרייבט דארף מען דרוקען און נישט אלעס וואס מען דרוקט דארף מען ליינען!
-R' Salanter

יש בן חורין שרוחו רוח של עבד, ויש עבד שרוחו מלאה חירות; הנאמן לעצמיותו בן חורין הוא, ומי שכל חייו הם רק במה שטוב ויפה בעיני אחרים הוא עבד
-R' Kook

#5 Brisker

Brisker

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 01:11 PM

Seforim blog about the marginal drawing in Eiruvin:

http://seforim.blogs...-questions.html

I was talking about the one with the ox eating from a trough in the reshut harabim. At least I think it was in eruvin. And I think it was in rabbenu chananel. It's just odd. there's just a ox sticking it's head out of a barn type of thing. I need to find that again.

#6 Rentsy

Rentsy

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 3,005 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 03:04 PM

Hey, someone just mentioned the picture in the Rabbeinu Chananel in Eiruvin. Maybe you are that person! Or related to them. Or maybe it's just a "thing".

[edit] The Seforim blog post, while interesting, is not "the" drawing in Rabbeinu Chanenel.
רמב"ם הלכות תשובה פרק העשירי, הלכה ב

העובד מאהבה - עוסק בתורה ובמצוות והולך במתיבות החוכמה לא מפני דבר בעולם, לא מפני יראת הרעה ולא כדי לירש הטובה, אלא עושה האמת מפני שהוא אמת

הלכה ג

אהבה גדולה יתרה רבה עזה עד מאד, עד שתהא נפשו קשורה באהבת השם ... וכל שיר השירים משל הוא לענין זה

#7 Village

Village

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 01:59 PM

Look in Sukkah
The greatest sophistication is trying to figure out how not to be sophisticated - Rebbe Nachman
www.soundcloud.com/kabbalisticvillage - Please take a listen.

#8 Rentsy

Rentsy

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 3,005 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 02:26 PM

On Pesachim 109a there is a cool picture. You also see it in Sukkah 8a, I think. Maybe 5a.

Anyway, it's a triangle, a square, and a circle.

It's actually a really cool math thing.

Anyway, we all know that the relation between the diameter of a circle and its circumference is (diameter)(pi) = (circumference) = (2 * radius * pi)

Can we determine the formula for the relation between the diameter of the circle and its area from this equation?

What you do is you take the circle, and cut into it like a cake, from the top to the center point. Then, you pull it apart (this can be done rigorously with a Jacobin) into a triangle. The top of the triangle is the central point of the circle. The bottom of the triangle is the circumference. The distance between these two points is the radius of the circle (half the diameter).

So, then, cut the triangle in half from the top point to the center of the straight line that is as long as the circumference. You should have two right triangles, each with a side equal to half the diameter, and the other side equal to half the circumference.

Rotate and move the triangles on top of each other, so you have a rectangle that has one side half the circumference, and the other side is half the diameter (the radius)

Now, we know how to calculate the area of a rectangle, length times width. So, set up that equation for the area of our rectangle: (Circumference/2)(radius) = Area

Now, our first equation is that (2 * radius * pi) = circumference

So we can substitute that into our area equation. ((2*radius*pi)/2)(radius)=Area

Simplify: (radius)(radius)(pi) = Area

i.e. (pi)(r^2)= Area

And that is the equation pi(r^2) = area.

P.S. Tosafot either think pi is three, or that 0.141592(...) isn't worth worrying about.
רמב"ם הלכות תשובה פרק העשירי, הלכה ב

העובד מאהבה - עוסק בתורה ובמצוות והולך במתיבות החוכמה לא מפני דבר בעולם, לא מפני יראת הרעה ולא כדי לירש הטובה, אלא עושה האמת מפני שהוא אמת

הלכה ג

אהבה גדולה יתרה רבה עזה עד מאד, עד שתהא נפשו קשורה באהבת השם ... וכל שיר השירים משל הוא לענין זה

#9 aleksig6

aleksig6

Hocker

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 06:51 PM

This is my favorite one...

This is from Bavli Shabbot 98b...

You have to be a complete and utter idiot to even concieve something like that....

1000kg board.... gimme a break !!!

Posted Image

#10 Snag

Snag

הבל יפצה פי

• Banned
  • 11,108 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 10:40 AM

P.S. Tosafot either think pi is three, or that 0.141592(...) isn't worth worrying about.

tosafos are following the gemara which says that "anything which in one tefach in diameter, is three tefachim in circumference". the gemara brings a verse as proof for this, since it says regarding the large pool which solomon made, "10 amos is it's diameter, and a string of 30 amos will encircle it". the gra points out that the relationship of diameter to circumference is a simple equation to figure out, not something that should require biblical proof. he therefore concludes that the sages were well aware that 3!=pi, but were proving from the possuk that we may reckon d:c as 1:3 for halachic purposes, even though it's imprecise. he also notes that the word in the possuk which means string - קו - is written with a silent hey - קוה. he syas that the relationship between 106 and 111 is exactly equal to the relationship between three and pi. i have a friend who checked it out to 100 decimal points and it worked.
"Spiritual wants and instincts are as various in the human family as are physical appetites, complexions, and features, and a man is only at his best, morally, when he is equipped with the religious garment whose color and shape and size most nicely accommodate themselves to the spiritual complexion, angularities, and stature of the individual who wears it."

"The despotism of heaven is the one absolutely perfect government. An earthly despotism would be the absolutely perfect earthly government, if the conditions were the same; namely, the despot the perfectest individual of the human race, and his lease of life perpetual. But as a perishable perfect man must die, and leave his despotism in the hands of an imperfect successor, an earthly despotism is not merely a bad form of government, it is the worst form that is possible."

-Mark Twain

#11 Bezalel

Bezalel

Stud muffin

• Members
  • 3,522 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 10:47 AM

he also notes that the word in the possuk which means string - קו - is written with a silent hey - קוה. he syas that the relationship between 106 and 111 is exactly equal to the relationship between three and pi. i have a friend who checked it out to 100 decimal points and it worked.

3 * 111 / 106 = 3.14151
Pi = 3.14159

Tell your friend to check again.

#12 Snag

Snag

הבל יפצה פי

• Banned
  • 11,108 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 10:58 AM

3 * 111 / 106 = 3.14151
Pi = 3.14159

Tell your friend to check again.

yeah... the famous snag numerophobia... maybe it's 312:317 (וקו vs. וקוה)?
"Spiritual wants and instincts are as various in the human family as are physical appetites, complexions, and features, and a man is only at his best, morally, when he is equipped with the religious garment whose color and shape and size most nicely accommodate themselves to the spiritual complexion, angularities, and stature of the individual who wears it."

"The despotism of heaven is the one absolutely perfect government. An earthly despotism would be the absolutely perfect earthly government, if the conditions were the same; namely, the despot the perfectest individual of the human race, and his lease of life perpetual. But as a perishable perfect man must die, and leave his despotism in the hands of an imperfect successor, an earthly despotism is not merely a bad form of government, it is the worst form that is possible."

-Mark Twain

#13 Xi

Xi

-->

• Banned
  • 6,300 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 11:04 AM

Maybe it has to do with the fact that pi is irrational.

ETA so it can go to a hundred places or a million places but pi will never be equal to a ratio of two numbers.
Xi is intimidating, in an endearing sort of way. --Gretchen

#14 Bezalel

Bezalel

Stud muffin

• Members
  • 3,522 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 11:24 AM

Pi must be female.

Maybe Xi's sister?

#15 Xi

Xi

-->

• Banned
  • 6,300 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 11:34 AM

Pi must be female.

Maybe Xi's sister?

:lol:

I prefer my random-variableness.
Xi is intimidating, in an endearing sort of way. --Gretchen

#16 aleksig6

aleksig6

Hocker

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 08:51 PM

"10 amos is it's diameter, and a string of 30 amos will encircle it".

Like so ? ;)

Posted Image

#17 mdtokayer

mdtokayer

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 03:23 AM

I was talking about the one with the ox eating from a trough in the reshut harabim. At least I think it was in eruvin. And I think it was in rabbenu chananel. It's just odd. there's just a ox sticking it's head out of a barn type of thing. I need to find that again.

It's in Eiruvin 20b in the hagaos haBach.

#18 Guest_Indigo_*

Guest_Indigo_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2011 - 08:07 AM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users