Kibbudim at a wedding, hierarchy?

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 naphtaliq

naphtaliq

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 11:49 AM

OK, I have a list of kibuddim, but I also vaguely remember that some are considered more important than others and that some are commonly combined while others aren't... Bueller, anyone?

Witnesses for Tena'im:
1)__________________________
2)__________________________

Witnesses for Kedushin:
1)_________________________
Witnesses for Kesuba:
Sheva Brachos under Chuppa:
1&2)___________________
3)_____________________
4)_____________________
5)_____________________
6)_____________________
7)_____________________
Witnesses for Yichud:
2)_________________________

After meal Sheva Brachos
Person who benches:
4)__________________________
5)__________________________
6)__________________________
7)__________________________

#2 Guest_Melech_*

Guest_Melech_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2010 - 11:55 AM

#3 Bezalel

Bezalel

Stud muffin

• Members
  • 3,521 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 12:31 PM

Personally, I think witnesses for the ketuvah are the biggest kibbud since they will be on the ketuvah, and possibly displayed on the dining room wall, forever.

So one should select witnesses who have attractive handwriting.

#4 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 12:32 PM

My brother believes, and I agree with him, that the Witnesses for Kedushin are the highest. They are the most important and the entire validity of the marriage rests on them.

However, in our world most people perceive the 7th bracha under the chuppah as being the highest honor, simply because it involves singing and people like singing.

So one should select witnesses who have attractive handwriting.

Or very cool names (like mine... hamavin yavin.)

Pinchas is right - micha

For the record, IRL he is a really nice guy! - HappyDuck, Z"L

#5 Moshi

Moshi

Little Reb Sunshine

• Members
  • 21,046 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 01:05 PM

The sheva brachot under the chupah is what I cared about the most. It was mostly rabbis who were important to us.

I don't remember who my kiddushin eidim were. (Isn't it a smarter move to not have someone with impeccable credentials as kiddushin? As an insurance in case you need an out later? Hmm.) Shomer shabbos friends.

One of the rabbis who was supposed to sign the ketubah went to the bathroom or to talk on the phone outside during the signing, so I had to grab another rabbi.
The L-rd may not come when you call, but He's always on time. -Lemon Andersen

Kabel et ha-emet mi-mi she-omro.

"All is by the hand of Heaven, except colds and fevers" -Ketubot 30a.

~My Blog~

#6 Guest_Melech_*

Guest_Melech_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2010 - 01:07 PM

#7 Moshi

Moshi

Little Reb Sunshine

• Members
  • 21,046 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 01:09 PM

the krum relatives at our wedding were supposed to get sheva brachot for bentching, but then some of them left.
The L-rd may not come when you call, but He's always on time. -Lemon Andersen

Kabel et ha-emet mi-mi she-omro.

"All is by the hand of Heaven, except colds and fevers" -Ketubot 30a.

~My Blog~

#8 naphtaliq

naphtaliq

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 01:31 PM

Personally, I think witnesses for the ketuvah are the biggest kibbud since they will be on the ketuvah, and possibly displayed on the dining room wall, forever.
And the eidim, like all eidim, must be of absolutely sterling character ie not passul le'eidut.
Plus one can't claim they were chosen b/c they are related.

That assumes that we are kesuba on teh wall types... I think there's something weird about having your prenup on display.

#9 Guest_Melech_*

Guest_Melech_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2010 - 01:32 PM

#10 TimeRebbe

TimeRebbe

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,140 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 01:48 PM

don't forget witnesses for the secular thing. a lot of people give the kibbud to women for that.

and reading the ketuvah, which apparently a monkey can do.

would have to be a well-trained monkey with a great voice
"10 a.m. - We begin our descent. On the way down, Chief of Landfills Thorne informs us that Mount Trashmore contains - I am not making this up - human body parts AND dead whales." -Dave Barry
"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts... for support rather than illumination."
"I guess the problem is that I think most people are idiots (granted, WELL MEANING idiots)" --KR

#11 Guest_Melech_*

Guest_Melech_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2010 - 01:49 PM

#12 TimeRebbe

TimeRebbe

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,140 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 02:07 PM

yeah. and apparently parrots as well.

can it also do the Imperial March?
"10 a.m. - We begin our descent. On the way down, Chief of Landfills Thorne informs us that Mount Trashmore contains - I am not making this up - human body parts AND dead whales." -Dave Barry
"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts... for support rather than illumination."
"I guess the problem is that I think most people are idiots (granted, WELL MEANING idiots)" --KR

#13 Guest_Melech_*

Guest_Melech_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2010 - 02:08 PM

#14 TimeRebbe

TimeRebbe

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,140 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 02:10 PM

get it to play pachabel's canon and you have a complete wedding package

you would need more than just one parrot to do pachabel properly

#15 Guest_Melech_*

Guest_Melech_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2010 - 02:11 PM

#16 TimeRebbe

TimeRebbe

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,140 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 02:20 PM

the monkey could play second fiddle

i always thought it was the cat playing the fiddle?

#17 Guest_Melech_*

Guest_Melech_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2010 - 02:36 PM

#18 TimeRebbe

TimeRebbe

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,140 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 02:51 PM

why do some people frame their kesubas and hang them in the living room and others dont?

#19 Guest_Melech_*

Guest_Melech_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2010 - 02:55 PM

#20 TimeRebbe

TimeRebbe

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,140 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 02:57 PM

Personal predilection and taste that says nothing about the couple other than their desire to do so or not to do so at this time or for other reasons unknown?

theres no thread about this?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users