#22 Moshi

Moshi

Little Reb Sunshine

• Members
  • 21,046 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 01:44 AM

The L-rd may not come when you call, but He's always on time. -Lemon Andersen

Kabel et ha-emet mi-mi she-omro.

"All is by the hand of Heaven, except colds and fevers" -Ketubot 30a.

~My Blog~

#23 Village

Village

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 01:08 PM

Its good to have a car..some of the chillin good places to eat are a little far from the Hotel area.Prepare to meet a lot of jewish teens who have off for winter vacation.
The greatest sophistication is trying to figure out how not to be sophisticated - Rebbe Nachman
www.soundcloud.com/kabbalisticvillage - Please take a listen.

#24 Shoshi

Shoshi

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 4,076 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 10:34 PM

and your humility? :p

There's plenty of tziniyus options for summer wear. There are thousands of frum jews who live in South Florida, mainly because they prefer hot summers and hurricanes to snowy winters. Private swimming pools are also very common down there, and plenty of options for those who are a little more liberal about beaches and public swimming and stuff - as a whole, the yeshivish crowd is mostly Miami Beach (Lakewood Kollel area/Rabbi Zwieg) and North Miami Beach. Mostly everyone else is MO to some degree.

Yes there is tzanua summer wear, but it's less comfortable than wearing tzanua clothes in the colder weather.

#25 TimeRebbe

TimeRebbe

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,140 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 11:09 PM

Yes there is tzanua summer wear, but it's less comfortable than wearing tzanua clothes in the colder weather.

Miami is not that much hotter in the summer than in NY (although MUCH more humid!) Wearing pretty much anything is uncomfortable in the florida summer, but you don't see everyone walking around stark naked (although they do come close in parts)
"10 a.m. - We begin our descent. On the way down, Chief of Landfills Thorne informs us that Mount Trashmore contains - I am not making this up - human body parts AND dead whales." -Dave Barry
"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts... for support rather than illumination."
"I guess the problem is that I think most people are idiots (granted, WELL MEANING idiots)" --KR

#26 Shoshi

Shoshi

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 4,076 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 12:19 AM

Miami is not that much hotter in the summer than in NY (although MUCH more humid!) Wearing pretty much anything is uncomfortable in the florida summer, but you don't see everyone walking around stark naked (although they do come close in parts)

Miami is much more uncomfortable than NY in the summer, possibly because of the humidity and also the higher temperature.

No, it's not true that wearing tzanua clothes doesn't make much of a difference.

In the summar, wearing a very light short skirt, sandals, and a cotton sleeveless tank top is relatively cool. As is a sleeveless sundress. One could feel quite comfortable wearing this on a hot summer day.

I can't see feeling quite comfortable wearing a long sleeve top, a longer skirt, stockings (!), closed toe shoes, some sort of head-covering (either a wig, a scarf, or a hat) on a hot humid summer day.

#27 TimeRebbe

TimeRebbe

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,140 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 12:50 AM

Miami is much more uncomfortable than NY in the summer, possibly because of the humidity and also the higher temperature.

No, it's not true that wearing tzanua clothes doesn't make much of a difference.

In the summar, wearing a very light short skirt, sandals, and a cotton sleeveless tank top is relatively cool. As is a sleeveless sundress. One could feel quite comfortable wearing this on a hot summer day.

I can't see feeling quite comfortable wearing a long sleeve top, a longer skirt, stockings (!), closed toe shoes, some sort of head-covering (either a wig, a scarf, or a hat) on a hot humid summer day.

i generally wear long pants and an undershirt (underneath a long-sleeved or polo shirt) in the summer, even though shorts would possibly be more comfortable. But again, its so hot there that less clothing makes little difference. Wear lighter clothes, less layers, and open shoes.

ETA: and in miami, sunburn becomes a real problem, especially if you have exposed skin.
"10 a.m. - We begin our descent. On the way down, Chief of Landfills Thorne informs us that Mount Trashmore contains - I am not making this up - human body parts AND dead whales." -Dave Barry
"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts... for support rather than illumination."
"I guess the problem is that I think most people are idiots (granted, WELL MEANING idiots)" --KR

#28 Shoshi

Shoshi

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 4,076 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 01:09 AM

i generally wear long pants and an undershirt (underneath a long-sleeved or polo shirt) in the summer, even though shorts would possibly be more comfortable. But again, its so hot there that less clothing makes little difference.

I don't know why people always say that: "It's so hot that less clothing wouldn't make a difference anyway."

It DOES make a difference.

If I am wearing heavier or more clothes on a hot day (i.e., long-sleeves), and then I go home and change to sleeveless, it makes a big difference! I feel MUCH more comfortable on a hot day in LESS clothing!

#29 Guest_Shuli_*

Guest_Shuli_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2010 - 01:11 AM

#30 starwolf

starwolf

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 12:27 PM

i generally wear long pants and an undershirt (underneath a long-sleeved or polo shirt) in the summer, even though shorts would possibly be more comfortable. But again, its so hot there that less clothing makes little difference. Wear lighter clothes, less layers, and open shoes.

ETA: and in miami, sunburn becomes a real problem, especially if you have exposed skin.

So is that why so many people (no matter what their age, gender, or body shape) in South Beach wear spandex? :bad:

הַתְקַשֵּׁר מַעֲדַנּוֹת כִּימָה אוֹ-מֹשְׁכוֹת כְּסִיל תְּפַתֵּחַ

doubt not through the ages one increasing purpose runs, and the thoughts of men are widened with the process of the suns.

#31 TimeRebbe

TimeRebbe

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,140 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 12:41 PM

Yup. I think it's one of the most ridiculous arguments perpetuated on this site that frum garb is just as comfortable on a hot day as typical summer wear.

i grew up in Florida - i lived there for ~20 years. i know what i'm talking about! :angry: (i did not say it makes no difference, i said it makes little difference. Its ridiculously easy to get 'frum summer garb' in south florida)

#32 Moshi

Moshi

Little Reb Sunshine

• Members
  • 21,046 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 12:55 PM

Is the ocean water warm enough in the winter to swim? Do people still hang out on the beach?

~My Blog~

#33 TimeRebbe

TimeRebbe

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,140 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 01:01 PM

Is the ocean water warm enough in the winter to swim? Do people still hang out on the beach?

yes but just barely, and yes. if you dont see anyone else in the water, there's usually a reason (sometimes we get jellyfish)

#34 Psychodad

Psychodad

• Members
  • 7,376 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 01:08 PM

#35 Belle

Belle

anomaly

• Members
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 02:33 PM

If anyone is looking for a *deal* the Fontainebleu In Miami is now on sale for $340 per night on HauteLook.com
"Belle has the right of it" - Shemmy

"i have come to believe that belle is closer to the truth" - Snag

"Belle is, of course, right." - Razie

#36 Moshi

Moshi

Little Reb Sunshine

• Members
  • 21,046 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 02:48 PM

$340 per night?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

~My Blog~

#37 Belle

Belle

anomaly

• Members
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 02:50 PM

$340 per night?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I know!!!!! It's such a good deal!!!! OMG!

#38 Guest_Shuli_*

Guest_Shuli_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2010 - 02:50 PM

#39 Belle

Belle

anomaly

• Members
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 02:51 PM

It's okay; it includes a continental breakfast.

most expensive croissant EVAR

#40 Psychodad

Psychodad

• Members
  • 7,376 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 03:00 PM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users