• Guests

Posted 01 January 2011 - 05:56 PM

#2 justbatya

justbatya

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 05:58 PM

Yes. Unless there is a good reason or explanation given, like "oh I happen to have several open bottles of wine at the moment, do you mind if I save this for another special occasion?"

My poor SO still thinks that a Batya is a what, and not a who.

Soda-Club Home Soda Makers
Blog-o-rama

#3 Guest_Shuli_*

Guest_Shuli_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2011 - 05:59 PM

#4 justbatya

justbatya

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 06:02 PM

I would say that when I bring over an addition to the meal it is meant as such, and not for the hostess to add to the stash. If thats the case I'll just hand them a $20 for the wine fund.

Blog-o-rama

#5 Guest_Shuli_*

Guest_Shuli_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2011 - 06:08 PM

#6 justbatya

justbatya

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 06:13 PM

I don't know, I have never been to such a stuffy meal as you are describing. Is your ethnically themed meal more important than putting out some cookies your guest bought? IME people do expect their bottle to be opened unless many people show up with the same thing.

Blog-o-rama

#7 Guest_Shuli_*

Guest_Shuli_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2011 - 06:17 PM

#8 justbatya

justbatya

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 06:19 PM

I dont doubt any of that, I just said it's stuffy, which it is IMO. Eyeroll.

Blog-o-rama

#9 Guest_Shuli_*

Guest_Shuli_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2011 - 06:20 PM

#10 Kalashnikover_Rebbe

Kalashnikover_Rebbe

fine, nice looking, batampte Ben Torah

• Members
  • 26,049 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 06:33 PM

Unless it is totally unnecessary (like they have a ton of wine open already) or inappropriate for the meal, then yes, it should be served...
[/flirting]

#11 ookamikun

ookamikun

Abu Suleiman

• Members
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 08:53 PM

Even if there is a ton of wine open already, I'll not only put it out but will make kiddush on it.
Bigger problem is when I have several guests bring bottles of wine for same meal.

While I do find it someone annoying when guests bring large cakes without first asking me if I need cake and I already bought cake, I'll put it out anyway out of respect from the guest.
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't
blog.ookamikun.com
@ookamikun

Jury Duty
Just because it's spellchecked, doesn't mean it's correct.

#12 U Tarzan me Jane

U Tarzan me Jane

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 07:10 PM

When someone brings a bottle of wine or a sectional tray of candy do you feel you have to serve it at that meal with the guests who brought it?

I always serve it so as not to insult my guests. If they ask what they can bring, I say there is no need to bring anything at all, just themselves.
"Common things happen commonly, uncommon things don't. So when you hear hoofbeats, think horses , not zebras."

"Be open minded, But, not so open minded that your brains fall out!"

" I mean how do you greet moshiach if half a baby is hanging out of your hoo ha??" Bird

#13 Guest_miri_*

Guest_miri_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:26 AM

I always serve it so as not to insult my guests. If they ask what they can bring, I say there is no need to bring anything at all, just themselves.

I do the opposite. People want to help, want to contribute. Telling them not to bring anything may make them uncomfortable, or they may just bring something anyway.

#14 justbatya

justbatya

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 10:34 AM

Right Miri, and you have to know your guests- i know with most of my regulars that they will show up with wine,fruit or a packaged baked good, no matter what I say, because it's just what we do, so it behooves me to "assign" wine/fruit dessert to those who ask what they can bring, so I don't end up with 3 bags of grapes.  

Blog-o-rama

#15 ookamikun

ookamikun

Abu Suleiman

• Members
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 10:36 AM

Right Miri, and you have to know your guests- i know with most of my regulars that they will show up with wine,fruit or a packaged baked good, no matter what I say, because it's just what we do, so it behooves me to "assign" wine/fruit dessert to those who ask what they can bring, so I don't end up with 3 bags of grapes.  

:stupid:
Or beer. Always room for more beer.
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't
blog.ookamikun.com
@ookamikun

Jury Duty
Just because it's spellchecked, doesn't mean it's correct.

#16 Jeanette

Jeanette

Pretentious

• Members
  • 6,112 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 11:35 AM

Silly me, for putting hours of time, thought, and effort (not to mention tons of money) into a meal, and then requesting that people refrain from bringing something when I've already accounted for everything. :rolleyes:

To me this says it's more about the host than about the guest. Maybe YOU care about every dish fitting into the theme, but if the guests don't care, put out their brownies.

#17 FYI

FYI

Naive or Clueless?

• Members
  • 16,184 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 12:05 PM

I say it should be served.

(I don't always do as I say)
Many people wish they could change their life, when all they really need to do is change their attitude towards life. - Sharon

#18 Guest_Shuli_*

Guest_Shuli_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2011 - 04:34 PM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users